Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Barbie/Oppenheimer double bill.

Barbie. Not sure what it was supposed to be really or who it's aimed at. A mum and tween bonding over practically nothing and a heavy handed message that a woman just being herself is enough rather than anything resembling a plot.

6/10

Oppenheimer. Definitely too long but I can appreciate it as a well made film and the best thing Nolan has done in a while. All I would really criticise is the last 10-15 minutes feel tagged on even though they wrap up the movie. Murphy and Downey Jr give strong performances. Wife hated it though.

7.5/10

Generous score for Barbie which has followed right into the trend of all other recent failing shows and tedious movies.

Just another movie intent on delivering a message instead of telling it's own story. I thought I would be quite funny take on society in a cynical Black Mirror way. 

I didn't realise it would be more of the same "white man bad stupid" appeasement trend. 

Desperate to see Oppenheimer. Just the Mrs don't fancy it

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

The Commuter.

Liam Neeson is an ordinary commuter on an ordinary train - then a whole lot of totally believable stuff happens and he emerges unscathed, which is more than you can say for the bad guys.

Does its job.

Fozzie/10.

Ditto Non-Stop with Neeson in a similar role. Both decent films.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Generous score for Barbie which has followed right into the trend of all other recent failing shows and tedious movies.

Just another movie intent on delivering a message instead of telling it's own story. I thought I would be quite funny take on society in a cynical Black Mirror way. 

I didn't realise it would be more of the same "white man bad stupid" appeasement trend. 

Race is in no way a part of Barbie. 

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Race is in no way a part of Barbie. 

No, not race. But gender. Men are stupid reminders littered across the whole movie just like pretty much everything in the last few years. I thought Barbie looked quite fun and witty from the trailers. But it wasn't. 

Tarantino rightly described it as the worst period for Hollywood since the 1950's. Include Netflix etc in that.

Star Wars, Disney, Rings Of Power, Wheel Of Time, The Witcher, The Last Of Us... I could go on forever. 

It's been good seeing some of the most successful writers and directors question why there are so good stories being told and just CGI action sequences and old stories being badly rewritten to carry an agenda. 

Like i said, Barbie looked like family fun. As @Ramplesaid, it just seemed to be actually trying to make some sort of point. But it's Barbie ffs

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

No, not race. But gender. Men are stupid reminders littered across the whole movie just like pretty much everything in the last few years. I thought Barbie looked quite fun and witty from the trailers. But it wasn't. 

Tarantino rightly described it as the worst period for Hollywood since the 1950's. Include Netflix etc in that.

Star Wars, Disney, Rings Of Power, Wheel Of Time, The Witcher, The Last Of Us... I could go on forever. 

It's been good seeing some of the most successful writers and directors question why there are so good stories being told and just CGI action sequences and old stories being badly rewritten to carry an agenda. 

Like i said, Barbie looked like family fun. As @Ramplesaid, it just seemed to be actually trying to make some sort of point. But it's Barbie ffs

I thought it was really funny. Laughed all the way through.

And the fact that it's triggered incels is an added bonus.

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

So what we have here is a guy who has dubbed himself 'Alpha' on a forum complaining about how men are portrayed in a Barbie movie...

What's right with this picture? 🤣😋

12 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

So what we have here is a guy who has dubbed himself 'Alpha' on a forum complaining about how men are portrayed in a Barbie movie...

I do believe Alpha was originally called Alpha Sigma so I believe the Greek Alphabet joke is on you. 

56 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Haha, the name wasn't chosen. It was a random name generator and it was AlphaSigma 

And not just Barbie, which I wanted to see btw 🤣, just movies in general 

Edited by Alpha

On 22/07/2023 at 11:22, Mostyn6 said:

Went to watch Oppenheimer last night, and echo what @maxjam said. 

if Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey JR don’t win Oscars each for actor and supporting actor, I’ll be amazed. 

such a well made film that had me awake all night processing it! 

must see if you like thoughtful films. It’s very tense and emotionally involving tho. 

Dean Saunders/10

Did seeing it at the cinema add much to the enjoyment? 

From the reviews I've read, it's mostly talking in various rooms, doesn't sound like the big screen adds much.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I thought it was really funny. Laughed all the way through.

And the fact that it's triggered incels is an added bonus.

Haha, I'm not "triggered". I just thought it was pants. 

Incels. Triggered  🤣

Where'd you get that from? Twitter or gaming discord servers? 

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Haha, the name wasn't chosen. It was a random name generator and it was AlphaSigma 

And not just Barbie, which I wanted to see btw 🤣, just movies in general 

Just teasing mate. It did make me chuckle. I think the Alpha Sigma thing pre-dates me.

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Haha, I'm not "triggered". I just thought it was pants. 

Incels. Triggered  🤣

Where'd you get that from? Twitter or gaming discord servers? 

It has triggered incels and the right-wing communities. Ben Shapiro made a 43-minute video slamming it.

Don't think OP was suggesting you're part of that.

11 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Sorry, I didn't mean you.

10 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It has triggered incels and the right-wing communities. Ben Shapiro made a 43-minute video slamming it.

Don't think OP was suggesting you're part of that.

Sorry I didn't know this was a thing. I genuinely thought, like Rample, the movie followed a bit of trend that other major franchise's have faced backlash for. I didn't know that Barbie had caused a stir. I didn't take it THAT serious. I had to Google Ben Shapiro.