Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

We watched this last weekend & I was keen to catch up with it, after Mark Kermode said it was far better than the latest Doctor Strange multiverse film which was out in cinemas at the same time.

I agree with you and would give it an 8/10. Mrs Woflie I'm sure would be nearer a 4/10 - but then her favourite films are the Bad Boys franchise, so she clearly knows nowt.

It was the other way round with us. Her Indoors loved it; I hated it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Harder They Fall on Netflix.

'Traditional' revenge Western with an non-traditional twist, about rival gangs of black cowboys, also with modern stylings and music as is the fashion now, but entertaining enough. Violent, bad language, but no sex scenes.

7.5/10

• 2 weeks later...

Luckiest Girl Alive - Netflix

Mila Kunis as a writer in New York, forced to confront past traumas when invited to take part in a documentary about a school shooting she witnessed.

Really enjoyed this. Hard to watch in places. Reminded me a bit of Promising Young Woman (though not quite as good as that).

8/10.

Blonde.

The Marilyn Monroe biopic on Netflix.

Ana de Armas I think does an excellent job as MM.

Sure, it’s controversial. Sure, it’s often inaccurate, but as a film in itself I found it fascinating. Lots of great cinematography, echoes of Princess Di, the hounding of celebrities (almost literally with the slavering guys who followed her and used her) and a sad indictment of how vulnerable people are made to struggle under the spotlight.

It’s a long film and in itself often feels a bit exploitative, but I’m glad I watched it and would recommend it to others.

I would say not only to watch it but also think afterwards how you viewed it. 

I was left wondering whether in watching events unfold, I was only adding to the voyeuristic fascination with notoriety.

The Good Liar.

Mirren and McKellen play people who aren't who they say they are.

I think we're meant to be a bit surprised that one (or both) of them isn't who they say they are but it's bloody obvious.

Meanders and then the last half an hour spends it's time telling us that what we'd seen in the previous 90 minutes wasn't actually what we'd seen. 

Dumb film with average acting.

Ravenelli (said in a Peter Brackley voice).

Edited by JoetheRam

5 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Is that the Foos film? - just read the overview and decided it wasn't for me.....

Yes the Foo’s one, it’s awful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rare trip to the cinema on Friday, to watch Smile.

Better than average unsettling horror, along the lines of "The Ring" and "It Follows", with the main character trying to investigate and rid herself of a curse before it's too late for her.

7/10

The Banshees of Inisherin. It's easily identifiable as a Martin McDonagh if you have seen Calvary and/or In Brugges and I'd say it's as good if not better than both. Great acting from all the main characters, I'm sure it will win a few awards. 9/10 

Enola Holmes

Netflix film with “Eleven” from Stranger Things playing the younger sister of Sherlock and Mycroft and investigating her mother’s disappearance. 

Decent enough film but the over-use of (obvious) green screen was an annoying distraction for me. 

6/10

4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Enola Holmes

Netflix film with “Eleven” from Stranger Things playing the younger sister of Sherlock and Mycroft and investigating her mother’s disappearance. 

Decent enough film but the over-use of (obvious) green screen was an annoying distraction for me. 

6/10

Enola Holmes 2 just hit Netflix, would say it's around the same score

Edited by Baj
changed

The Gentlemen (2019), well the first 20 minutes, which was the most boring film opening I've ever seen. No idea what Hugh Grant was jabbering on about to some guy in a nice Magnet designed kitchen, and the premise laid out by McConaughey's character was ludicrous so gave up as I realised I've already seen Mr Richie make this exact film at least twice before. 

Turned off and watched Spike Lee's Inside Man (2006) which isn't great but at least something happens in it.

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

The Gentlemen (2019), well the first 20 minutes, which was the most boring film opening I've ever seen. No idea what Hugh Grant was jabbering on about to some guy in a nice Magnet designed kitchen, and the premise laid out by McConaughey's character was ludicrous so gave up as I realised I've already seen Mr Richie make this exact film at least twice before. 

Turned off and watched Spike Lee's Inside Man (2006) which isn't great but at least something happens in it.

the guy in the kitchen was Jax Teller of Sons of Anarchy, and also the hooligan in Green Street who gets killed in the end. The film actually, in Guy Richie style, unravels itself over the latter half hour. I enjoyed it.

On 10/10/2022 at 13:28, JoetheRam said:

The Good Liar.

Mirren and McKellen play people who aren't who they say they are.

I think we're meant to be a bit surprised that one (or both) of them isn't who they say they are but it's bloody obvious.

Meanders and then the last half an hour spends it's time telling us that what we'd seen in the previous 90 minutes wasn't actually what we'd seen. 

Dumb film with average acting.

Ravenelli (said in a Peter Brackley voice).

Funny, I was going to just leave pretty much the same review. It started really well, had a bit of a Tales Of The Unexpected feel about it, was a joy to watch Mirren and McKellen jousting but then it just got so silly. The things that would have happened in the sequence that is suggested, with no ability for deviation, in order to make the plot run as it does are just beyond even suspension of reality. There was a good story in there but it got itself into a plot it couldn't get itself out of. Helen Mirren is just lovely but I wonder how people like her and McKellen read scripts like this and don't go "but this is just garbage".

Agree on the Ravanelli rating - high profile name, promised much but actually failed to deliver

The Outfit on Amazon Prime for £1.99

A couple of people in here have already rated it and iirc they liked it.

I did too.

A weird film in so much as it felt like I was watching a play with it being set in one location and the characters coming to camera rather than vice versa.

There were a couple of minor plot flaws, but nothing that the brilliant acting of Mark Rylance couldn't save. He deserves to win a few awards for this because it was the best acting I've seen since Mark Ruffallo in that thing where he played a pair of twins.

In short, he plays an English cutter (he's not a tailor, they sew on buttons, he's a craftsman) who left London for reasons that unfold. He makes clothes for mob members and they also use his shop as a drop off location.

Reading between the lines I think local gangsters drop money off there in brown envelopes  to be then collected by the top boss's people. But it's never explicitly said what is inside the envelopes (at least I don't think it was) or who the people are dropping them off.

It's a slow start and 15 minutes in I was wondering if I had made a mistake, but it's well worth sticking with.

David Nish/10