Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

14 hours ago, Highgate said:

That seems to be the consensus, although I thought it's portrayal of the drone war was unrealistic. 

Sicario on the other hand I was really impressed with.  Entertaining, and it has something to say, leaving a real impression.  9/10.  

Very good film. Looking forward to the new one with Benicio Del Toro as the main character instead of the whiny woman, the only thing I didn't like about the first. 

Can never remember if this thread caters for latest theater release or movies in general so had to wade through previous comments to ascertain if a response was suitable.

In any event, the last film I viewed was Raging Bull (1980)

People will have seen this at one time or another.   Filmed without color,  De Niro spends the entire duration eating, swearing, or beating opponents in and out of the ring.     While badly dated, there are enough instances to keep the interest but this movie seems tame in today's light, from the time of initial release.

7 hours ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Can never remember if this thread caters for latest theater release or movies in general so had to wade through previous comments to ascertain if a response was suitable.

In any event, the last film I viewed was Raging Bull (1980)

People will have seen this at one time or another.   Filmed without color,  De Niro spends the entire duration eating, swearing, or beating opponents in and out of the ring.     While badly dated, there are enough instances to keep the interest but this movie seems tame in today's light, from the time of initial release.

Isn't that the same for most films?

Me Before You

Film about a grumpy quadroplegic guy, befriended by a kooky new young carer and who both may or may not fall for each other.

I like romcoms. I do. 4 weddings, Love actually and the first Bridget Jones film are some of my favourite guilty pleasures. This one, though, is the chickiest chick flick you are ever going to see.

It's just crammed full of every English upper middle class and plucky working class steretype and cliche you could ever imagine, presumably for US audiences. Yes, even more so than 4 weddings. Everyone is impossibly good looking. He comes from a very rich family living next to a castle (as we English all do) and she comes from the cliche'd happy working class family - her sister being Jenna Coleman (Dr Who companion) who for some reason seems much posher than the rest of them. It's just a bit vomit inducing with bugger all chemistry between any of the characters. It looks like none of them met each other before the first day of filming.

What miniscule bit of realism there is in the film was, for me, ruined by having an able bodied and very physically fit actor playing the role. Would someone who hadn't moved their body below their neck for 2 years really have a 6-pack?. There must be good disabled actors (or real people) who could put in a decent stereotypical grumpy disabled person (Oh, I'm disabled therefore must be miserable) performance. Or maybe they did try and no self-respecting disabled actor wanted to be within a mile of this trash.

I can't believe I heard good reviews of this a few months ago when it hit the cinema & I hope the book was better than this vomit inducing tosh.

2/10, and that's only because I like Charles Dance - just not in this film.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Me Before You

Film about a grumpy quadroplegic guy, befriended by a kooky new young carer and who both may or may not fall for each other.

I like romcoms. I do. 4 weddings, Love actually and the first Bridget Jones film are some of my favourite guilty pleasures. This one, though, is the chickiest chick flick you are ever going to see.

It's just crammed full of every English upper middle class and plucky working class steretype and cliche you could ever imagine, presumably for US audiences. Yes, even more so than 4 weddings. Everyone is impossibly good looking. He comes from a very rich family living next to a castle (as we English all do) and she comes from the cliche'd happy working class family - her sister being Jenna Coleman (Dr Who companion) who for some reason seems much posher than the rest of them. It's just a bit vomit inducing with bugger all chemistry between any of the characters. It looks like none of them met each other before the first day of filming.

What miniscule bit of realism there is in the film was, for me, ruined by having an able bodied and very physically fit actor playing the role. Would someone who hadn't moved their body below their neck for 2 years really have a 6-pack?. There must be good disabled actors (or real people) who could put in a decent stereotypical grumpy disabled person (Oh, I'm disabled therefore must be miserable) performance. Or maybe they did try and no self-respecting disabled actor wanted to be within a mile of this trash.

I can't believe I heard good reviews of this a few months ago when it hit the cinema & I hope the book was better than this vomit inducing tosh.

Or in other words it was s***

43 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Me Before You

Broke up with my girlfriend just around the time this was coming out. Coincidence? I'll let you decide.

• 3 weeks later...

Transcendence

Johnny Depp's artificial intelligence takes over the world, until he is stopped in his tracks by Morgan Freeman. But that Faraday Cage he built earlier will ensure that he wins in the end....

A great idea, but done before in Lawnmower Man a hundred times better, and done to death about 100 times since.

4/10

Sith Happens
14 hours ago, eddie said:

Transcendence

Johnny Depp's artificial intelligence takes over the world, until he is stopped in his tracks by Morgan Freeman. But that Faraday Cage he built earlier will ensure that he wins in the end....

A great idea, but done before in Lawnmower Man a hundred times better, and done to death about 100 times since.

4/10

When was the last time Johnny Depp was in a decent movie?

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

When was the last time Johnny Depp was in a decent movie?

Not sure. Sleepy Hollow, probably. He was brilliant in that. Before that, Edward Pen...I mean Scissorhands