The 75-76 side

IslandExile

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I agree that one or two keepers may have been technically a fraction better but Boulton was Mr. Consistent, never let in a daft goal, ever present for two league titles....he oozed a steady calmness. Mind you, I ooze a little thinking about those days....?

.................. and he rubbed his muddy gloves in the ref's face after the Lee - Hunter match against Leeds. Top Man!

PS - wasn't the unidentified wolves keeper Phil Parkes?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Others have posted players from other teams. If you mean Derby players from the earlier 70s years, then I agree with @BaaLocks, you could probably go for Webster in place of Thomas. However, Thomas was useful because he could also play centre half. I'd like to have Hinton to provide natural width, crosses etc., but who would you leave out. Nah, let's play with 12.

Thinking even more about it, I feel the only Derby player from any era that I've witnessed who would squeeze into this side would be Eranio, and even then at right back.

There's been some great players at Derby since 76 but I wouldn't want to dislodge any of that team.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Shilton. I did like Poom. But I'd still settle for Boulton.

Mark Wright and Igor were great but McFarland and Todd..... different planet.

Baiano, Saunders, Sturridge loved them all but look at that front three of Hector, Lee and George....

On 01/04/2020 at 23:26, IslandExile said:

Watching the Madrid highlights on RamsTV reminds me of the side from the 75-76 season.

Boulton

Thomas.   Todd. McFarland. Nish

Rioch.     Newton.  Gemmill

Hector.       Lee.      George

Thanks to Charlie's shoulder injury (cheers Stoke, Dennis Smith?) we didn't win the double as we should but I would still maintain, even without Hinton, that was the best side that we've ever had.

Glorious. Let's hope RamsTV select some of their matches. ?

As great a team this was, would choose the 71-72 team over them as my favourite team.

Boulton

Webster          Todd           McFarland        Nish

McGovern           Durban           Gemmil

Hector               O'Hare            Hinton

As this team also formed most of the 68-69 promotion winning team.

On 02/04/2020 at 08:09, richinspain said:

Obviously there's no Hinton, Webster, O'Hare or Durban in that side. I don't know if they would improve it, but it would be one hell of a bench. A young, fit Steve Powell would also be on there with them.

Big Roger on the bench too

13 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

.................. and he rubbed his muddy gloves in the ref's face after the Lee - Hunter match against Leeds. Top Man!

Aye, the dark haired Phil Parkes, not to be confused with the fairer haired Phil Parkes that played for QPR and West Ham. 

3 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Big Roger on the bench too

I hadn't forgotten about Roger, but as much as I loved him as a player I don't know if he would replace O'Hare? Perhaps that little bit more pace that he had would come in handy.

ps Roger seems a lovely bloke in person. We saw him in the Dolphin in Derby the last time we were over. He didn't hesitate in chatting to us and having his photo taken.

3C6524A0-FA94-400E-A4B1-CF526C397EDB.jpeg

On 02/04/2020 at 12:35, ilkleyram said:

Franny Lee's last game I think

It was. If you watch the highlights video (below), Allan Hunter clearly doesn't make much effort in stopping him scoring late on and has a smile on his face afterwards (Town no. 5, 3 mins 55) . It was a bit of a meaningless match I think. Neither side could move in the table regardless of the result so maybe Ipswich didn't take it too seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJbdNnDt_s

2 hours ago, admira said:

Allan Hunter clearly doesn't make much effort in stopping him scoring late on and has a smile on his face afterwards

Good man.

His namesake would have kicked him into Row Z.

Franny was great - "Just look at his face" ??

20 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Black haired fella? I can picture him on Star Soccer booting the ball long with shoulder length black hair. But I thought Phil Parkes was a burly blondish keeper that played for QPR......there wasn't 2 of them was there?

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Black haired fella? I can picture him on Star Soccer booting the ball long with shoulder length black hair. But I thought Phil Parkes was a burly blondish keeper that played for QPR......there wasn't 2 of them was there?

Yes there was, two keepers with identical names, sort of stuck with me as I have the same surname.....

17 hours ago, 1of4 said:

As great a team this was, would choose the 71-72 team over them as my favourite team.

Boulton

Webster          Todd           McFarland        Nish

McGovern           Durban           Gemmil

Hector               O'Hare            Hinton

As this team also formed most of the 68-69 promotion winning team.

Nish wasn't part of the 72' side, I thought it was John Robson, but I may be wrong. 

Just checked, Robson played 40 league games and scored 2 goals. 

12 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Nish wasn't part of the 72' side, I thought it was John Robson, but I may be wrong. 

Just checked, Robson played 40 league games and scored 2 goals. 

Yes you are correct. Complete memory loss on my part, Old age as finally caught up with me. So there was even more of the original promotion side in the 72 champions team than what I remembered.

Had an invite a few years back with a dinner talk with Charlie George at PP, he said that if he hadn't of got injured he firmly believes that DCFC would have been the first team to have won the treble, league,FA cup and European cup, some statement, some team.

Nice guy as well ?

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem with that side was that they were all of the same sort of age, so that when we eventually needed to rebuild, it was a complete rebuild with almost nothing to build on. I always thought we should bring in a few younger players like Dave Thomas when we won the league. We brought in Charlie, but we needed one or two more.

At the end of that season

boulton 30

thomas 29

nish 29

mcfarland 28

Todd 28

newton 32

rioch 29

gemmill 29

hector 31

lee 32

george 25

On 03/04/2020 at 22:15, falconram said:

Had an invite a few years back with a dinner talk with Charlie George at PP, he said that if he hadn't of got injured he firmly believes that DCFC would have been the first team to have won the treble, league,FA cup and European cup, some statement, some team.

Nice guy as well ?

We had been knocked out of the European Cup before Charlie got injured .

23 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The only problem with that side was that they were all of the same sort of age, so that when we eventually needed to rebuild, it was a complete rebuild with almost nothing to build on. I always thought we should bring in a few younger players like Dave Thomas when we won the league. We brought in Charlie, but we needed one or two more.

Dave Thomas v Derby county 

37 minutes ago, RamNut said:

At the end of that season

boulton 30

thomas 29

nish 29

mcfarland 28

Todd 28

newton 32

rioch 29

gemmill 29

hector 31

lee 32

george 25

I agree to an extent but there was more time to do the rebuild than Docherty allowed.

Notably, Gemmill went to Forest and won the league.

The defence could have gone on a while longer. George was still young. Rioch played for longer at the top level.

I do agree though that the long lived successful teams keep renewing, keep buying and improving year on year. A point made in the MOTD podcast this week especially about Ferguson's success.

Oh and I liked Thomas too.... Never pulled his socks up. We did get Leighton James though, err uhm.

7 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I agree to an extent but there was more time to do the rebuild than Docherty allowed.

Notably, Gemmill went to Forest and won the league.

The defence could have gone on a while longer. George was still young. Rioch played for longer at the top level.

I do agree though that the long lived successful teams keep renewing, keep buying and improving year on year. A point made in the MOTD podcast this week especially about Ferguson's success.

Oh and I liked Thomas too.... Never pulled his socks up. We did get Leighton James though, err uhm.

I believe Gemmill demanded a transfer straight away as he loathed Docherty.

Archived