Derby v Reading 17/3/20 Match Report

Srg

Not sure why there isn't a match thread, so I thought I'd cobble together a bit of a report and player ratings for those that didn't manage to catch the game as it wasn't on Sky Red Button.

Lineup: Ben Hamer, Jayden Bogle, Andre Wisdom, Matt Clarke, Craig Forsyth, Max Bird, Wayne Rooney, Martyn Waghorn, Jason Knight, Tom Lawrence, Chris Martin

We started off poorly, as we tend to. The usual moans and groans by the 10th minute as we had barely seen the ball. However, just as the week prior, as soon as the midfield clicked we started to play some good stuff and make chances. Think we were duly rewarded after yet another typical Tom Lawrence top bins Thunderbastard after half hour. Good layoff by Martin too after a bit of neat work by Bogle down the right.

1-0 at half time was probably fair on reflection, although the first 10mins didn't give you any cause for optimism that we would have managed to go in at the break in front. Needed Forsyth to pick out a white shirt on the pitch, rather than a steward in the stands and for Rooney to really grab hold of the game.

A typical second half step up from the away side saw them really get on top early on, similar to the first half really. We defended surprisingly very well, and used Lawrence, Knight and Martin in particular to get up the pitch, causing a few breakaway opportunities. The big moment though was with around 30mins to go when Cocu brought on the boy wonder, Louie Sibley. The crowd lifted and went from nervous to excited. And he duly delivered with a few crunching tackles before doing all the leg work to set up Chris Martin to sweep home from 8 yards.

2-0 it finished, and another win notched up as we get ever closer to those play offs. Is the miraculous on? Maybe, if we keep up these kind of professional displays... it may take an unprecedented global pandemic to stop us!

Ratings:

Hamer 6 - Very little to do in all honesty. Think I prefer Roos, but accept that the defence may not have the same confidence when he plays.

Bogle 7 - He's getting back to his old self after the injury and mistakes earlier in the season. Great work for the first goal.

Wisdom 7 - Solid, and I think he's found a home. Need to be weary of who we play next to him due to height, but he's looking every bit a centre back.

Clarke 7 - Oozing a bit of class at the moment, he's hit form at the right time

Forsyth 6 - Few wayward passes, but his height was needed at times from crosses

Bird 8 - What a season this guy is now having. Since Rooney arrived, he's become the first name on the team sheet (besides Rooney himself, of course)

Rooney 6 - Actually a quiet game after he came back from a little niggle, but his experience was vital to see us through the testing periods.

Lawrence 8 - What a goal. He's having a goal of the season competition by himself... that he'll lose to Louie Sibley.

Knight 6 - Industrious, but he's certainly not a wide player. He does a job for us and gives us energy, and I feel sorry for him stuck out there a bit, but his time in a more favoured position will come.

Waghorn 6 - First touch of a baby elephant wearing Claude Davis' boots, but his physicality helped us at times. Wish he could finish.

Martin 8 - Heavily involved in the first, and scored the second. All in a day's work.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Srg said:

Not sure why there isn't a match thread, so I thought I'd cobble together a bit of a report and player ratings for those that didn't manage to catch the game as it wasn't on Sky Red Button.

Lineup: Ben Hamer, Jayden Bogle, Andre Wisdom, Matt Clarke, Craig Forsyth, Max Bird, Wayne Rooney, Martyn Waghorn, Jason Knight, Tom Lawrence, Chris Martin

We started off poorly, as we tend to. The usual moans and groans by the 10th minute as we had barely seen the ball. However, just as the week prior, as soon as the midfield clicked we started to play some good stuff and make chances. Think we were duly rewarded after yet another typical Tom Lawrence top bins Thunderbastard after half hour. Good layoff by Martin too after a bit of neat work by Bogle down the right.

1-0 at half time was probably fair on reflection, although the first 10mins didn't give you any cause for optimism that we would have managed to go in at the break in front. Needed Forsyth to pick out a white shirt on the pitch, rather than a steward in the stands and for Rooney to really grab hold of the game.

A typical second half step up from the away side saw them really get on top early on, similar to the first half really. We defended surprisingly very well, and used Lawrence, Knight and Martin in particular to get up the pitch, causing a few breakaway opportunities. The big moment though was with around 30mins to go when Cocu brought on the boy wonder, Louie Sibley. The crowd lifted and went from nervous to excited. And he duly delivered with a few crunching tackles before doing all the leg work to set up Chris Martin to sweep home from 8 yards.

2-0 it finished, and another win notched up as we get ever closer to those play offs. Is the miraculous on? Maybe, if we keep up these kind of professional displays... it may take an unprecedented global pandemic to stop us!

Ratings:

Hamer 6 - Very little to do in all honesty. Think I prefer Roos, but accept that the defence may not have the same confidence when he plays.

Bogle 7 - He's getting back to his old self after the injury and mistakes earlier in the season. Great work for the first goal.

Wisdom 7 - Solid, and I think he's found a home. Need to be weary of who we play next to him due to height, but he's looking every bit a centre back.

Bird 8 - What a season this guy is now having. Since Rooney arrived, he's become the first name on the team sheet (besides Rooney himself, of course)

Rooney 6 - Actually a quiet game after he came back from a little niggle, but his experience was vital to see us through the testing periods.

Lawrence 8 - What a goal. He's having a goal of the season competition by himself... that he'll lose to Louie Sibley.

Knight 6 - Industrious, but he's certainly not a wide player. He does a job for us and gives us energy, and I feel sorry for him stuck out there a bit, but his time in a more favoured position will come.

Waghorn 6 - First touch of a baby elephant wearing Claude Davis' boots, but his physicality helped us at times. Wish he could finish.

Martin 8 - Heavily involved in the first, and scored the second. All in a day's work.

We definitely saw the same game. Agreed with the numbers as well, but I'd give Rooney a 7. He was far from spectacular but even in such routine game he does the simple things correctly and effectively.

Shout out to the beast himself, Wisdom, he is certainly nailing down his future as a CB.

I missed the second goal, as for the very first time, I left early... 55mins, to be precise... as I wanted to beat the traffic.

I was half way home before I realised:
A/  There was no traffic
B/  I walk home anyway
C/  Someone had nicked all the trolley's at Costco!

Not the best of evenings, but hey, at least we won!  

5 hours ago, Srg said:

Ratings:

My first thought was he's got a twin brother!

Archived