Sibley,

Day

36 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Love Sibley. Went to the Arsenal 5-2, and said afterwards that we've got one here. Just the same as watching young Will Hughes. Different players, but class.

Academy is producing wonderfully. Credit to Wass.

And credit to Mel too ?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, it's been a pleasure watching Sibley develop, he could be one hell of a player, 100 percent committed, not afraid to have a go, can see a pass, put a tackle in, shoot and also has good vision, and to cap it all off he actually supported Derby as a lad growing up, I bet he loved that goal today, well done young man, can not wait to see more of you. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

Watching that goal go in today was a real emotional moment - you almost have to feel quite proud after watching him come through the academy as a kid with promise in recent years, all the way up to seeing him become the man bursting into the first team that he was today. I’ve not been 100% sure whether he’s ready or not for regular first team football just yet based on his previous cameos, but that was a real excellent all round performance today. It wasn’t just his absolute wondergoal, his movement and runs in behind really impressed me too. Caused all sorts of problems for their backline, as did his drives forward with the ball - he’s deceptively fast! What a quality full debut it was, I’m sure it’s a day Louie will remember for a long long time!

Whether he’ll play for England... we can’t get too carried away based on one game. We haven’t seen enough of him at first team level to really make an informed prediction on the level he’ll reach. But you have to say, given he’s played (and still plays) for the England youth teams, that he’s obviously highly rated not just by us, but by the national team too. Certainly suggests he’s got a good chance of reaching that top level, if he keeps working hard.

5 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Max Bird's more of an apt Hughes comparison, I see similarities between those two. It's just the hair with Sibley.

SIbley's his own beast, I expected him to play a part next season but if he's going to be influential this season...

His arrival makes the end of the season very tasty indeed. Don't be afraid to get excited.

The way I view these academy players is this: imagine if he was a new signing. Playing that well and scoring, you'd be talking about building around him for the future. Then add Bird and Knight on top of that...

Has to start next week.

Got to agree that Will Hughes and Max Bird are similar, Sibley looks good and will get better the more he plays. Credit also to Shinnie against Blackburn, he had a good game but could miss out if Wayne is fit for Saturday.

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, TommyPowell said:

The trio will save us a lot of transfer money next season

Exactly what i said to my dad on the way home. Should build around them for next season.

This team we have today (and its still a work in progress), had it been shaped and in place for the start of the season we would be challenging i have no doubt.

Imagine what they are going to learn off Rooney....exciting times.

10 hours ago, Biley66 said:

Who would you compare him with? Someone said Phil Gee, but he had a very specific style as a finisher. Charlie George? 

Charlie George? He’s nothing like Charlie George Although Charlie could hit the net from distance,

I’d say a cross between Jamie Ward and Willie Carlin. 

12 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

If he's to be our new Messiah, I think it's only fair to him that we get something sorted right from the start, and not get into our usual habit on here...

Louie...

L... O... U... I... E

?

You mean a bit like D .. I ..S ..C ..O ? 

love it 

14 hours ago, cannable said:

Quicker than Hughes and has a better shot. Not as intelligent. 

Although that’s not even necessarily a weakness as I think Hughes is too intelligent for his own good. 

Amazing that after his great performance against Man Utd he follows up with another against Blackburn -shows real ability. I love his aggression.

Hope we see more of him for the remaining fixtures.

13 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Amazing that after his great performance against Man Utd he follows up with another against Blackburn -shows real ability. I love his aggression.

Hope we see more of him for the remaining fixtures.

Anyone heard Ed Dawes mentioning Sibley without moaning about his aggression?

His aggression is part of what makes him so special, for a very long time I’ve wanted to see us have some bite in midfield, Patrick Vieira, Roy Keane type.

Now Sibley is a different type of player to those but he has that bite they had. 

You just know no game will pass him by, go missing, for 90 minutes the opposition will know he’s around.

It’s not something you want to try and tame either, he’s going to get booked and sent off, you have to accept that and appreciate it’s part of what he brings. 

On a side note, how good is RamsTV? Few years ago you could only follow the academy through the odd mention of their games and goals on Twitter and the club site.

Now we have been able to watch the likes of Sibley, Bird, Knight play week in week out and develop as they break through to the first team.

We even have matchday threads for the U23s now which increasingly are becoming more popular, more fans are aware of the talent we have coming through and let’s be honest.....it’s flipping brilliant.

12 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Neither of those. Different kinds of players, both strikers. Sibley is ideal as a number 10 and carries the ball more than they did.

No need to compare him with anyone. This guy is unique and will establish himself as "Louie Sibley". ?

Not that this comparison maybe over popular, i was thinking more Roy Keane at the same age.

15 hours ago, Biley66 said:

Who would you compare him with? Someone said Phil Gee, but he had a very specific style as a finisher. Charlie George? 

Not sure if I was getting the same feed as you guys in the UK and I don't even know who it was. But the ex-player doing the colour commentary against Man Utd said Rooney had likened him to Michael Carrick. 

He's nothing like Phil Gee, unless you mean he does a bit of painting and decorating on the side.

As for Charlie George, he's nothing like him either unless you mean he has a big sheepskin coat and says guv'nor a lot.

If we're going back a bit, he does remind me a tad of Henry Newton.

11 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Not sure if I was getting the same feed as you guys in the UK and I don't even know who it was. But the ex-player doing the colour commentary against Man Utd said Rooney had likened him to Michael Carrick. 

He's nothing like Phil Gee, unless you mean he does a bit of painting and decorating on the side.

As for Charlie George, he's nothing like him either unless you mean he has a big sheepskin coat and says guv'nor a lot.

I would guess, if that's what was said, that the Carrick comparison is for Bird rather than Sibley.

12 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

You might be mixing your comparisons up. Surely it's Bird who is like Carrick?

2 hours ago, David said:

His aggression is part of what makes him so special, for a very long time I’ve wanted to see us have some bite in midfield, Patrick Vieira, Roy Keane type.

Now Sibley is a different type of player to those but he has that bite they had. 

You just know no game will pass him by, go missing, for 90 minutes the opposition will know he’s around.

It’s not something you want to try and tame either, he’s going to get booked and sent off, you have to accept that and appreciate it’s part of what he brings. 

On a side note, how good is RamsTV? Few years ago you could only follow the academy through the odd mention of their games and goals on Twitter and the club site.

Now we have been able to watch the likes of Sibley, Bird, Knight play week in week out and develop as they break through to the first team.

We even have matchday threads for the U23s now which increasingly are becoming more popular, more fans are aware of the talent we have coming through and let’s be honest.....it’s flipping brilliant.

Totally agree and not just Rams TV. 

For those of us local to Derby, the placing of under 18 and under 23 games at Pride Park, Loughborough and St George's Park has given us the opportunity to watch these players grow and develop first hand. And for free too - it's amazing and all down to Mel.

Archived