Sibley,

David

59 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wolves were supposedly one of the clubs interested in Sibley in the summer and/or last season - we may even have rejected a bid for him. A lot of clubs have been eagerly waiting to see him in action with the first team. If he carries his performances from the last two games through to the end of the season, it’s going to be incredibly difficult to keep hold of him - and not just from the top clubs in this country. 

He will be doing it off the bench next Saturday......Rooney and Lawrence too return.The new den is not as bad as the old one but it is no place for his temperament  just yet.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly off topic but I can't ever remember so much quality breaking through from the 'youth team'. Bogle last season - still has some defensive frailties but clearly now worth a few £million. Knight banging in a few goals and announcing himself, he is first team level. Bird and Lowe doing well and pushing on. And perhaps the best has just stepped up in Sibley.

Realistically we won't know who is going to develop to the very top level for another couple of seasons. That said, a decent championship level player who isn't over 25 is probably worth £3-6million these days, so that is arguably about £15-30million of talent we could have produced in a season or so.

Not saying we should sell, more that we have saved spending. And it looks like we need to.

Its a bit like Chelsea having their hands forced by the transfer ban. Good job we have a top notch academy.

So my question to those in the know is..  who is next on the production line? 

3 hours ago, David said:

This kid will play for England.

Quote me when he’s retired and I’m wrong. 

That goal today, ooof, some won’t come close to anything like that. 

Debut goals don’t come better than that.

Who would you compare him with? Someone said Phil Gee, but he had a very specific style as a finisher. Charlie George? 

1 minute ago, Biley66 said:

Who would you compare him with? Someone said Phil Gee, but he had a very specific style as a finisher. Charlie George? 

Neither of those. Different kinds of players, both strikers. Sibley is ideal as a number 10 and carries the ball more than they did.

No need to compare him with anyone. This guy is unique and will establish himself as "Louie Sibley". ?

6 minutes ago, Biley66 said:

Certain aspects of his play remind me of and don't shout at me - Lee Bowyer but with potentially more of a goal threat. Although a comparison with David Speedie which someone suggested earlier wasn't far off the mark.

Opposition fans are going to hate Sibley which is great - won't bother him one iota.

3 hours ago, Coconut said:

I just wish people have more faith, more trust in the manager sometimes that the decisions he makes are genuinely meant to be for the better of Derby County.

I think most fans are coming around to appreciate what a good acquisition Philip Cocu is for DCFC. 

19 minutes ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

Slightly off topic but I can't ever remember so much quality breaking through from the 'youth team'. Bogle last season - still has some defensive frailties but clearly now worth a few £million. Knight banging in a few goals and announcing himself, he is first team level. Bird and Lowe doing well and pushing on. And perhaps the best has just stepped up in Sibley.

Realistically we won't know who is going to develop to the very top level for another couple of seasons. That said, a decent championship level player who isn't over 25 is probably worth £3-6million these days, so that is arguably about £15-30million of talent we could have produced in a season or so.

Not saying we should sell, more that we have saved spending. And it looks like we need to.

Its a bit like Chelsea having their hands forced by the transfer ban. Good job we have a top notch academy.

So my question to those in the know is..  who is next on the production line? 

There’s a number... Tyree Wilson, Jordan Brown, Archie Brown, Jack Stretton, Festy Ebosele, Josh Shonibare, just to name a few... slightly older and not developed by us but Jahmal Hector-Ingram and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy will be looking to make the step up likely next season. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

There’s a number... Tyree Wilson, Jordan Brown, Archie Brown, Jack Stretton, Festy Ebosele, Josh Shonibare, just to name a few... slightly older and not developed by us but Jahmal Hector-Ingram and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy will be looking to make the step up likely next season. 

You forgot Jayden Mitchell-Lawson

27 minutes ago, Biley66 said:

Phil Gee was my idol ?. Gee was an out and out no.9 old school centre forward from my memory. An absolute classic striker of his time.

Love Sibley and he might be better, but he's no Gee.

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I know a few of us have been high on Sibley for a while. He caught my eye the very first time I saw him and he’s been my pick of the bunch throughout the last couple of seasons at youth level. 

He has struggled to really impact the way I would like in his few appearances, but a breakthrough performance against United and a first goal today will open the floodgates open. 

He’s an enormous talent. The saviour of Derby County Football Club, albeit the supporting cast are also extremely good. 

Some of the things Bird was doing today too. They're all talented and all eager. I don't think i'm getting ahead of myself in saying that all the players that have come through our academy, in today's match day squad, are the most exciting bunch of young prospects at a single club in England. 

2 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Seem to remember a certain Wayne Rooney esq announcing his arrival in similar fashion. 

That was exactly my first thought when the ball hit the back of the net earlier, Rooney's goal against Arsenal. 

I know they were different in how they were scored, but the same type of moment. 

Unreal. 

1 hour ago, Biley66 said:

I think the closest one is Matthias Sammer. But they have lot's of differences as well so you can only say that Sibley's talent is unique.

Archived