To all the moaners....

IslandExile

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

To have any chance of getting promoted...we are currently 8 points off with an inferior goal difference...we would need to win at least 2 play off games too...that is already 5 maybe 6 games we would need to win (without anyone else picking up a single point) so however you look at It we will need to win more games than we have done all season.....! Which is why It was such a missed opportunity last night... 10 dead rubbers to play the kids in, that would do more for their development than playing a 1 off game against United where they got beaten easily. 

Think most posters are talking about getting into the playoffs, not necessarily winning them and out of our remaining 10 games it's likely that 7 wins and a draw would be sufficient to do that.

FWIW I dònt think we will but there was a better chance than winning the cup. 

By the way - we have 10 to go and have won 12 this season so we wouldn't have to win more than we have to date.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Beating the worst united team in years at home, the worst premiershite team this season and then a semi final win is millions time more realistic than winning the next 13 league games.....(which is 1 more than we have managed all season by the way..!) 

I have no idea why I am even engaging with a grown adult who is referring to a league as the “Premiershite” but here we go anyway

They aren’t the worst United team in years at all, they are 5th in the Premier League, have conceded 2 goals in 9 games and are on a great run of form. Many many people have explained this to you. They are by no means the best United side of all time but they are significantly better than us.

Norwich walked away with this division last season, and have added to their squad since. Them being the worst team in the Premier League is a completely meaningless statement because they are in a higher division than us, ergo are better.

”And then a semi final win.” Easy as that eh? Man City at Wembley no bother at all for us.

Then we have your assertion we would need 13 wins from our remaining league games, which is odd as we have only ten left. Winning those ten would leave us with more than enough points for the playoffs, in reality we’d not need to win that many at all, probably 7 or 8. Unlikely but more likely than beating the best teams this country has to offer not once, twice, or even three times. Four times in fact.

This is all because apparently if we’d played Curtis Davies who has been exposed time and time again this season anyway, we’d have beaten United. Bonkers 

Jeez no wonder the atmosphere at PPS is so toxic and negative at times. FFS everyone knows it's a huge ask to get top 6 but at least support the team and be positive and passionate until it is zero percent possible. 

I think a few on here must have been really dire at basic maths. We will only have a 0% chance when we are 10 points back with 3 games left or something similar... Until that happens I am happy to believe that anything is possible and expect the team to try 100% every game with a passionate positive support fully behind them. 

13 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Them being the worst team in the Premier League is a completely meaningless statement because they are in a higher division than us, ergo are better.”

That doesn't follow logically though so it's invalid to use the phrase ergo.

Just because a team is in a higher division doesn't logically mean they are a better side than another one in a lower division there may be sides at the top of one division who are far superior to sides at the bottom of the ascending division.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

That doesn't follow logically though so it's invalid to use the phrase ergo.

Just because a team is in a higher division doesn't logically mean they are a better side than another one in a lower division there may be sides at the top of one division who are far superior to sides at the bottom of the ascending division.

Okay thanks for the Latin lesson

I have been called a "pompous twit" for starting this "intolerant" post and I think I may have made others think I'm against opinions, particularly on team selections.

In that case, I am very sorry for expressing myself so badly.

I am all in favour of constructive criticisms. Football is all about opinions. Everyone has ideas about team selections - heck I get upset every time, I see the team sheet and Martin or Marriott are not on it.

I am just being worn down by the negativity of some of the posts on here, not just those about team selection but every move made by Cocu - or even the club - is lambasted in one way or another. I used team selections as an example in my original post but I should not have done so. It was a bad example because it made people think I was only complaining about those that 5 seconds after the team is announced find fault with it.

There is a case for almost every player at the club to be part of the team, even Scott Malone. So, inevitably, people will have different ideas on the team put out.

But it's not that. It's those that always find fault - almost as a hobby.

I believe Cocu is building something great here. Others may not think the same way and that's fine. But, and I really do include myself in this, we all need to take a more balanced view.

Thanks. And sorry for not being clearer. Apologies to everyone and especially to @Curtains. I like to hear their opinion.

53 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

We 100% are, the season is totally over. To get promoted we need to win more games i from now to the end of the season than we have done all season....

It’s not 100% over whilst it’s mathematically possible. 

well its your money i guess.but how can you separate the players from the club who actually acquired then,I can understand criticism for the players that in your opinion dont perform but surely you can give praise to the likes of Bird,Knight and Sibley?

2 hours ago, TommyPowell said:

Most cup upsets happen when  teams dont play a strong side.And nobody can say united didnt play a strong side

I assume that the emoji signifies that you cant argue against that,BTW Roy you seem to be very knowledgeable on the beautiful game can you tell me the market values of the 2 teams on Thursday night?

17 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Do you still not see it?

Do you still not get what Cocu is building? And how he's doing it?

Every match thread, it's a race to see who can whinge about the team selection first.

Tonight was no different.... "How are we going to beat the fifth best team in the country without Davies in central defence and Malone amongst the substitutes?"

The youngsters were brilliant tonight and will learn so much from their experience.

Some people just like to complain. I get that. But Cocu is establishing a real foundation here, he's looking long term. He will build a successful Derby County team and sustain that, over years, by using the academy to its fullest.

Do you not want to embrace that?

Do you not want to ride the wave of the next golden period in this great club's glorious history?

Don't miss out. Support Cocu. Support the kids. Support the team. Support the club.

COYR ? Come on Cocu?

Dunt disagree mi owd .. but if ya gonna experiment all season and have a season of transiation then either dunt charge the fans or reduce the entry fee dramatically... if tha pays top wack ya expect to be challenging not experimenting 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

I have been called a "pompous twit" for starting this "intolerant" post and I think I may have made others think I'm against opinions, particularly on team selections.

In that case, I am very sorry for expressing myself so badly.

I am all in favour of constructive criticisms. Football is all about opinions. Everyone has ideas about team selections - heck I get upset every time, I see the team sheet and Martin or Marriott are not on it.

I am just being worn down by the negativity of some of the posts on here, not just those about team selection but every move made by Cocu - or even the club - is lambasted in one way or another. I used team selections as an example in my original post but I should not have done so. It was a bad example because it made people think I was only complaining about those that 5 seconds after the team is announced find fault with it.

There is a case for almost every player at the club to be part of the team, even Scott Malone. So, inevitably, people will have different ideas on the team put out.

But it's not that. It's those that always find fault - almost as a hobby.

I believe Cocu is building something great here. Others may not think the same way and that's fine. But, and I really do include myself in this, we all need to take a more balanced view.

Thanks. And sorry for not being clearer. Apologies to everyone and especially to @Curtains. I like to hear their opinion.

Mate no apology needed to me. 

You see it how you see it and I see it how I see it. .

Its good to talk. 

16 minutes ago, TommyPowell said:

I assume that the emoji signifies that you cant argue against that,BTW Roy you seem to be very knowledgeable on the beautiful game can you tell me the market values of the 2 teams on Thursday night?

Have you not watched Cup games before TommyP? We were at home and cup upsets happen. That's partly what makes Cup games so exciting. But yeah you're right football is all about money nowadays not necessarily about winning.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have you not watched Cup games before TommyP? We were at home and cup upsets happen. That's partly what makes Cup games so exciting. But yeah you're right football is all about money nowadays not necessarily about winning.

It does seem to be the case doesn’t it. I am amazed every year by teams mid table in the premiership who rest players for cup games. Surely they should have a chance of winning it. Newcastle fans have been irritated for years by this and at last have a manger who seems to understand that actually winning something Is of far more importance to them than a battle to finish 13th to get more money. Teams strive to get into the Europa league and then rest players for that as well. It’s bizarre.

i would be delighted, whatever division Derby are in, for us to win the FA cup and be relegated. I don’t think I will ever see it but surely if Wigan and Portsmouth can do it we can.

I am of the opinion that you should play your strongest team in cup games like last night, and we didn’t, which seems unfathomable to me when we don’t really have anything else to play for. I think quite a few agree with me.

As a final thing. Who can tell me the profit or loss that the club made in 1946? Can anyone tell me anything else that happened that year? That is what is of importance to me. I might not be around to see how good Whittaker might be in 10 years time - I just wanted us to give ourselves the best chance possible of winning the game and progressing because I want to see us win something one day. Actually win something. Just imagine it! 

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

A cup run is still a bit of an adventure. If you beat Man Utd, Norwich is definitely a winnable opponent, and from then on, who knows? We're not winning 10 games in a row, and we'd need about that for us to make the playoffs. It ain't happening. Do any of the signs point to us getting a deduction, other than sensationalised headlines in clickbait papers? The club seem confident. Experiment in the league, the games are pointless. 

I'm more than fine finishing where we are, as you said, we've had plenty of poo to deal with this season and we've done ok. But I still think Cocu got it wrong last night.

Let's go with your theory regarding no point deductions... which I'm pretty much on board with myself any...
Is it just the Blackburn game that is "pointless", or all the remaining league games? 
Just wondering how many we can afford to lose before we start looking at League 1. 

Probably best to concentrate on the league... just as it was before last nights game.

Been thinking .... I reckon by Derby fielding a weakened side against ya local rivals in a cup and arguably the one o biggest clubs in world in another cup.... ain't we played our part in devaluing these competitions... if tha gets mi drift mi owds ... 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Out of interest can you remember when we last managed a home cup upset.....cos I'm struggling to. 

I'm not counting the league cup semi v united cos it was the 1st leg of 2 and we lost in the end.

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Out of interest can you remember when we last managed a home cup upset.....cos I'm struggling to. 

I'm not counting the league cup semi v united cos it was the 1st leg of 2 and we lost in the end.

Last night was quite upsetting, reading some of the posts on here!   ?

Archived