To all the moaners....

IslandExile

4 minutes ago, David said:

Nobody gave us a chance at Sheffield Wednesday. 

I don’t disagree with you on the odds, but until it’s mathematically impossible we still have something to fight for. 

Looking towards the summer and attracting new players, higher up the table we can get will work in our favour than sliding down and playing with the Wigan’s and Hull’s down there.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes to recruitment, if it's clear you used the end of the season to experiment. Now is the time to play Sibley, and Whittaker and the likes to give them time. We have nothing major to lose by doing so.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

We were playing probably the worst Man Utd team in the last god knows how many years at home for a place in the 1/4 finals of the biggest club cup competition in the world against the worst team in the premiership....we should have thrown everything at It. 
I agree, it’s great to see the kids playing, if one or maybe two of them go on to be a decent pro then that’s great too but tonight was a missed opportunity  

I love Cocu, and want him to succeed more than I can ever remember wanting any other manager to succeed (aside maybe from Nigel) but I just think that tonight was a glorious chance that we never looked like taking from the moment the team sheet was put out. 

Total agreement,i thought Sibley did well and the back four choice was strange

Given the fact we have zero chance of the play offs this was a great chance to get to the quarters then up against a glorified Championship team in Norwich for a place at Wembley in the semis

It turned in to a boys v mens game in the end and i thought we had a better chance of winning this than we did last season in the EFL trophy

We move on but a massive opportunity missed 

3 hours ago, Roots Manuva said:

I had one guy furiously waving his match ticket/A4 sheet at me in the NE corner suggesting I was in their seat, quick flash of my ST card and another look at his sheet showed that he doesn't know the difference between 262 and 292 <sigh> this was 10 minutes into the game too.

added to that the 2 fellas taking photos of the turnstiles on their phones as they were in the queue waiting to go in....

a unique atmosphere indeed!

have to admit this week I've been looking forward to the Blackburn game more than last night, would've been different had it been Man City or Arsenal or a prem side we haven't faced in a while but feels like we play United every year in the cups so that novelty/excitement of a facing a new side wasn't there for me either.

have there been any updates on Lawrence's calf injury?

I particularly enjoyed the somewhat animated (and industrial) spat between two half n half scarf sellers down by Burger King, as I came through just after 7ish.  I can only suspect it was "turf wars"?

Hope they sort things out before Sund... oh wait, they won't be here on Sunday, will they!   :-)

5 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Total agreement,i thought Sibley did well and the back four choice was strange

Given the fact we have zero chance of the play offs this was a great chance to get to the quarters then up against a glorified Championship team in Norwich for a place at Wembley in the semis

It turned in to a boys v mens game in the end and i thought we had a better chance of winning this than we did last season in the EFL trophy

We move on but a massive opportunity missed 

I’m amazed you give us 0% chance at making top 6 whilst believing we had a better chance of winning the FA Cup than the EFL last year.

Lets say we despatched of Man Utd, we then would have had to beat Norwich followed by 2 of 

Sheff Utd, Arsenal, Leicester, Chelsea, Newcastle and Man City.

That would have required an unbelievable run of games against Premier League opposition, yet we’re not capable of a run of Championship wins albeit more.

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's mathematically possible, but the odds of it happening are so low it's basically over. The likelihood of us winning the next 10, including a lot of tough fixtures against the top end of our league is minuscule, particularly some of the away games. 

I really do suspect that cocu isn't at all concerned about our season this year.This can be shown,not just by last night's lineup but also by his determination not to have a settled team even after our best performances.

Invariably,our best games have included the best of our mature players who are then dropped for the next game as cocu again mixes it up.

He is clearly preparing for next season rather than the current one and experimenting with set ups and young players.

Whilst I understand this,it doesn't stop me from feeling extremely frustrated when he throws away chances to win games and progress in competitions because of his future strategy.

All I can say is that,he will need to justify his decision making this season by a massive improvement next year when he has a team of his own making and design.

47 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because we have nothing else to play for now. Why not prioritise the cup, when you have no chance of going either up or down? I'd rather have won last night and got smashed 3-0 by Blackburn at the weekend.

Think we have more chance of getting into the playoffs this season than winning the cup and that's next to nothing. Supporters thinking that if we beat United it was 'only' Norwich to come, beat them then either Chelsea / Man C / Arsenal in the semis then whoever in the final. Deluded people, deluded!

We will probably end up somewhere between 8th and 15th but so long as we have enough to stay up if the EFL do penalise with a points reduction then, given all the poo Cocu and the Club have had to deal with this season, I'm ok with it and look forward to August, hopefully with 2, maybe 3 additions who will be in the starting eleven.

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The point about a cup game is just that, it's a one-off. Cup upsets happen, that's what makes it so great. But no-one cares about winning any more just staying in the League and taking the money. 

Most cup upsets happen when  teams dont play a strong side.And nobody can say united didnt play a strong side

1 hour ago, David said:

I’m amazed you give us 0% chance at making top 6 whilst believing we had a better chance of winning the FA Cup than the EFL last year.

Lets say we despatched of Man Utd, we then would have had to beat Norwich followed by 2 of 

Sheff Utd, Arsenal, Leicester, Chelsea, Newcastle and Man City.

That would have required an unbelievable run of games against Premier League opposition, yet we’re not capable of a run of Championship wins albeit more.

I didnt say we would win the FA cup if you read my post again,it says we had a great chance of getting to Wembley for a Semi Final,lets be fare Norwich are no great shakes

6 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

I didnt say we would win the FA cup if you read my post again,it says we had a great chance of getting to Wembley for a Semi Final,lets be fare Norwich are no great shakes

Apologies, missed the semis bit.

As for Norwich, you have seen our away form? Not sure that would be any easier for us.

Could of had a good go at a poor untied side and then played a poor Norwich side for a place in the semi final of theFA Cup. We are mid table, not going up, not going down, noting to lose by having a go. All this long term stuff I don’t get, play the kids this Sunday in a meaningless game, not a cup game with the potential to progress. 

I like Cocu but this is two cup games he’s messed up badly. 

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Think we have more chance of getting into the playoffs this season than winning the cup and that's next to nothing. Supporters thinking that if we beat United it was 'only' Norwich to come, beat them then either Chelsea / Man C / Arsenal in the semis then whoever in the final. Deluded people, deluded!

We will probably end up somewhere between 8th and 15th but so long as we have enough to stay up if the EFL do penalise with a points reduction then, given all the poo Cocu and the Club have had to deal with this season, I'm ok with it and look forward to August, hopefully with 2, maybe 3 additions who will be in the starting eleven.

A cup run is still a bit of an adventure. If you beat Man Utd, Norwich is definitely a winnable opponent, and from then on, who knows? We're not winning 10 games in a row, and we'd need about that for us to make the playoffs. It ain't happening. Do any of the signs point to us getting a deduction, other than sensationalised headlines in clickbait papers? The club seem confident. Experiment in the league, the games are pointless. 

I'm more than fine finishing where we are, as you said, we've had plenty of poo to deal with this season and we've done ok. But I still think Cocu got it wrong last night.

58 minutes ago, TommyPowell said:

Sorry maybe its me but why support a team if they never do anything right in your eyes?

The players get my support for 90 mins, even if it is poo that I am watching. After that I am entitled to express my opinion about the club and anything else I choose. 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I particularly enjoyed the somewhat animated (and industrial) spat between two half n half scarf sellers down by Burger King, as I came through just after 7ish.  I can only suspect it was "turf wars"?

Hope they sort things out before Sund... oh wait, they won't be here on Sunday, will they!   ?

I'm quite hopeful that the half-n-half seller (with a manc accent) near the arena entrance to the main car park could lip-read, though he may have thought I muttered that he was a winker.....

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I didn't know we played Liverpool last night ?

Yeah and look what happened the first game after that glorious night...  A stinking 1-0 defeat to Bolton...  Same as the brave defeat to Brighton, a 1-0 reversal to Millwall...  Until we're an established Premier League side, I can't see any point in prioritsing a cup run, especially as the whole day out at Wembley angle has been disrespected by the FA playing the semis there, just because they're trying to clear their own debt on the stadium.

Now if Cocu went out and played the youngsters constantly in league games, despite it not winning us vital points I could understand people's anger, but they're one off games in a cup we're unlikely to win...

It that is the point exactly, we have a million times more chance of winning thr FA Cup this season than we do of going up...and who has ever seen us win the FA Cup....? 

20 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Very much enjoying the idea that winning against 4 Premier League teams in a row to win the cup is somehow more achievable than putting a run together to push up the league table and seeing what happens.

Beating the worst united team in years at home, the worst premiershite team this season and then a semi final win is millions time more realistic than winning the next 13 league games.....(which is 1 more than we have managed all season by the way..!) 

2 hours ago, David said:

We’re not at the dead rubber stage yet. 
7 clubs between us and the top 6 and 8 points. 

That’s not impossible and I would be angry if Cocu and the players gave up at this point. 

There is nothing to suggest we could go and win our next 10 with those 7 losing 3 of their last 10, nothing at all, but you still aim for that starting Sunday. 

They are dead rubbers when even Carol Vorderman can’t even get the numbers to work 

We 100% are, the season is totally over. To get promoted we need to win more games i from now to the end of the season than we have done all season....

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Beating the worst united team in years at home, the worst premiershite team this season and then a semi final win is millions time more realistic than winning the next 13 league games.....(which is 1 more than we have managed all season by the way..!) 

You have no idea how many more games we would need to win but it's certainly won't need to be 13.

Like I said - deluded!

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

You have no idea how many more games we would need to win but it's certainly won't need to be 13.

Like I said - deluded!

To have any chance of getting promoted...we are currently 8 points off with an inferior goal difference...we would need to win at least 2 play off games too...that is already 5 maybe 6 games we would need to win (without anyone else picking up a single point) so however you look at It we will need to win more games than we have done all season.....! Which is why It was such a missed opportunity last night... 10 dead rubbers to play the kids in, that would do more for their development than playing a 1 off game against United where they got beaten easily. 

Archived