We're in the hat! Quarter Final Draw Tonight...

Mucker1884

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's strange how a football supporters mind works...well mine anyways...I give us little or no chance of progressing in the FA cup...yet last season we beat both Man Utd and Norwich city away from home... smashing in 6 goals.So why do I think we've no chance?

1 hour ago, Shipley Ram said:

I remember beating Norwich (who had put out Spurs that year) on our way to a quarter final

What a game! Amazing these things are on YouTube nowadays when it seemed so hard to watch us on the telly at the time. Though I suspect I was there.

A motley Rams team I would never have thought had played together. Archie Gemmill, Steve Buckley, Steve Powell, Kevin Wilson, Bobby Davison and Andy Garner's debut! The likes of Chris Woods and Micky Shannon for them. Real blood and thunder, challenges flying in, but we looked as if we were trying to play good football. And we played it well.

10 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

With a 62,000 capacity, and if I'm not mistaken, a 15% away allocation, I make that 9,000+ Rams Fans should we and Spurs progress.  Nice!

They're heading for peno's as it stands... 

Norwich were given a full allocation of 9,000, so I expect we would have got the same

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

What a game! Amazing these things are on YouTube nowadays when it seemed so hard to watch us on the telly at the time. Though I suspect I was there.

A motley Rams team I would never have thought had played together. Archie Gemmill, Steve Buckley, Steve Powell, Kevin Wilson, Bobby Davison and Andy Garner's debut! The likes of Chris Woods and Micky Shannon for them. Real blood and thunder, challenges flying in, but we looked as if we were trying to play good football. And we played it well.

That brings back some memories- the strongest of which is pouring out of the ground, hearing on someone’s radio that Plymouth had just won and thinking that if we drew them we would surely be guaranteed a place in the semi-finals....

Watching those highlights now, immediate thoughts are:

- back pass!

- no red for Woods?

- one sub 

- fences

Amazing how quickly things change - although then again it appears that somehow it was more than a third of a century ago...

Oh, and I still have that Patrick shirt somewhere. It no longer fits.

13 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

I remember beating Norwich (who had put out Spurs that year) on our way to a quarter final

How on earth did Woods only get a yellow for absolutely cleaning out Wilson when he was the last defender?

27 minutes ago, Anon said:

How on earth did Woods only get a yellow for absolutely cleaning out Wilson when he was the last defender?

Crazy isn’t it?

I think he got his comeuppance ten (?) years later when that Nicholson 35-yarder went in off the bar and his backside against Wednesday, also in the Cup.

1 hour ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

That brings back some memories- the strongest of which is pouring out of the ground, hearing on someone’s radio that Plymouth had just won and thinking that if we drew them we would surely be guaranteed a place in the semi-finals....

- back pass!

- no red for Woods?

- one sub 

- fences

Amazing how quickly things change - although then again it appears that somehow it was more than a third of a century ago...

You forgot the important Bobby "i will show you a natural goalscorer" Davison.

Still second only to King Zak.

1 hour ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

- back pass!

- no red for Woods?

- one sub 

- fences

Those were all my immediate thoughts too. Sometimes it's lovely to take a few minutes out and watch these old games. Thanks again to @Shipley Ramfor posting. 

2 hours ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

- back pass!

- no red for Woods?

- one sub 

- fences

...and what about those tiny refereeing shorts!!

Like the only gay in the village.

Archived