Learning Guitar.

Rev

It's not as easy as it looks, played until my fingers bled and still can't get a D Chord.

A and E seem easier, but I can't see that I'll ever be able able to change chord swiftly.

Any ideas which of the many YouTube videos are the best for a beginner?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Try Justin Guitar

38 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Justin Guitar and a lot of practice.

You will get there with learning the major chords though.

Working from his book to begin with, but have also tried following a few YouTube tutorials for beginners from others.

Probably best to pick one method and stick to it do you think, or pick and choose what works for now, like playing D on two strings and working towards the full chord?

That takes me back 50 years: Bert Weedon's "Play in a day", you could too, Seem to recall it was all C, G Em to start with. Remember doing a mean House of the rising sun with my 5 (five) watt amplifier. Not picked guitar up in decades.

Wonder if you could make a decent tune out of DCFC?

14 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Summer of 69 will never sound the same to me.

Learn something you really like that’s simple,You Tube lesson.

Just find what works for you. Who do like?

I like pretty much all music, from Cash to Clash. Pretty much anything except the knocked out via computer crap that dominates the charts today.

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I like pretty much all music, from Cash to Clash. Pretty much anything except the knocked out via computer crap that dominates the charts today.

Should I Stay is a good Clash song to start with,forget the chords just do the root note with your index finger,do it really slow,when you’re up to speed add one finger at a time to your chords.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Can't believe you only listen to music in the range Ca-Cl .  There's so much more out there.

I didn't get any further in the alphabet.

Easy as ABC.

19 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It's not as easy as it looks, played until my fingers bled and still can't get a D Chord.

A and E seem easier, but I can't see that I'll ever be able able to change chord swiftly.

Any ideas which of the many YouTube videos are the best for a beginner?

Just keep picking the thing up even if it’s only for 5 mins, you will be surprised how chord changes get faster , try playing the d with index finger on barring 3 strings and second finger on b string its easier,  work on chord prossion of  , a minor ,c ,g ,easy one to get change and sound good pretty quickly

47 minutes ago, Archied said:

Just keep picking the thing up even if it’s only for 5 mins, you will be surprised how chord changes get faster , try playing the d with index finger on barring 3 strings and second finger on b string its easier,  work on chord prossion of  , a minor ,c ,g ,easy one to get change and sound good pretty quickly

I'm just aiming for half hour a day atm.

Tried before, might try again, but found that my arm / wrist / fingers just plain aren't dexterous enough, and no amount of practice could stop an intense stress building up in my arms, I can't relax the muscles and just end up making inaccurate, jarring motions

Same thing happens when playing darts for any length of time, gripping too hard, no flow, pain up and down my arm.

...and that's before mentioning just how basic and uncreative my brain is, even if I could mimic somone else's playing I'd never be able to actually compose anything myself - It's like if I pick up a pencil thinking I might draw something, but all that comes out is basic geometric shapes and hairy willies. Rubbish, talentless, weak armed rick.

Before I forget though - there used to be a game series called Rocksmith where you'd plug your guitar (none of this cheap plastic Guitar Hero poo with buttons)  into the Playstation/PC/Whatever via a special cable, that was actually pretty bloody good, probably the most fun I ever had with the guitar.

It could detect all of your inputs to quite a high level (nearly but not quite perfect) and give you real feedback on how you were playing, a decent selection of songs to play along to (with all the separate guitar parts mapped out so you could play lead, rhythm or bass if you wanted) and it also had quite a few mini games where you'd have to hit the right note / play the right chord, a great little boredom reliever, learning without it feeling like you were learning - might be worth seeking it out!

As i mentioned, get a nylon strung guitar too. It’s good for practising the chord changes without shredding your fingers further. I also use to strum along to loud music, so I couldn’t hear myself cos i think thats what puts a lot of people off. Just practice chord transitions and shapes. Keep switching between the steel strung and the nylon strung. It’ll be ages before you feel competent so use the time to learn the chords and practical switches. 

Archived