Learning Guitar.

Rev

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrist action was what I was missing!

Bought it into play, and now D is easy-ish.

Loving it so far, even though it's far harder than it looks, thanks for all the tips and advice. 

I reckon another 10 years of strumming chords and I'll be ready to transition between them!

37 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Wrist action was what I was missing!

Bought it into play, and now D is easy-ish.

Loving it so far, even though it's far harder than it looks, thanks for all the tips and advice. 

I reckon another 10 years of strumming chords and I'll be ready to transition between them!

The ends of your fingers are going to hurt like hell but don't stop. They will will callus up after a few days of practice.

17 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The ends of your fingers are going to hurt like hell but don't stop. They will will callus up after a few days of practice.

Yep go through the pain then your harden and the sound is much crisper,, don’t mention Barr chords yet?

• 3 weeks later...

School boy error today. 

Turned the wrong tuning nut attempting to tune it, and snapped a string.

Then somehow managed to kybosh the replacement string anorl.

More blood spilt, and little closer to guitar genius!

10 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Hope you're keeping it up.

Is it acoustic or electric you're learning on?

But yes, just a bit, every day. I should get back into playing whilst on lockdown.

Acoustic.

Bought a basic Yamaha, 20+ years since I last attempted to learn.

It's a hell of a lot easier with YouTube than it was then.

Doesn't mean I'm any better mind!

• 2 months later...
On 01/03/2020 at 20:59, reverendo de duivel said:

It's not as easy as it looks, played until my fingers bled and still can't get a D Chord.

A and E seem easier, but I can't see that I'll ever be able able to change chord swiftly.

Any ideas which of the many YouTube videos are the best for a beginner?

Try playing scales as well as chords, because with enough practice your fingers will automatically know where they're supposed to go when you change chords. I regret I didn't practice scales when I first started, my fingers were all over the place and I still haven't got out of some of my bad habits.

Not aware of any YouTube videos but there must be lots of tabulature on the net showing how to play scales properly. It makes it much easier later on when you're trying to figure out how to play a Bmaj9#11.

Here's a serious question for all you aficionados: Someone like Mark Knopfler will use maybe 8 or nine different electric guitars during a gig.

I get why acoustics sound different (Yamaha 12 string- wonderful noise) but an electric, they are all just a tight string over a pick up and some circuitry, aren't they?

30 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Here's a serious question for all you aficionados: Someone like Mark Knopfler will use maybe 8 or nine different electric guitars during a gig.

I get why acoustics sound different (Yamaha 12 string- wonderful noise) but an electric, they are all just a tight string over a pick up and some circuitry, aren't they?

Mostly due to tuning difference between songs. You'll find some artists will play songs in a similar tuning in a block and then swap. However there can be many many nuances between electric guitars. String gauges, pickups, different tones based on woods. Many more factors than you'd imagine!

Archived