Coronavirus

1of4

47 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Genuine question: how do you lot find the time/energy to read every single page of this thread and argue with each other constantly?

Yep ,it may well have to do with the fact we are  locked in our homes , apart from work of course??‍♂️

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Genuine question: how do you lot find the time/energy to read every single page of this thread and argue with each other constantly?

I usually get bored after a few posts of repeating myself but our resident moderator told us that those opposing @Albert don't use facts and leave laughing emoji's when we've had enough of the arguing and call it a day - so my repetitive repetitiveness has been forced on me ? 

4 hours ago, Archied said:

I live in this country, lockdown and restrictions as we know it / them in this country are not an attack on the virus ,they’re  an attack on people and people’s lives 

This is where I fail to see the argument - it's obviously both, not a one or the other situation.

I will not stand for this idea that we've been through all these restrictions for no reason. You only have to look at the graphs to see the infection rates/hospitalisations/deaths inversely tracking the level of restrictions. I've hated the restrictions as much as anyone, but they do "attack the virus" and yes they are an attack on our lives too - but a necessary one. Nobody who died of covid uttered the last words "I wish we'd locked down less"

5 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Can you add the UK to the chart? 

Yes Florida and California have similar stats despite different levels of restrictions, but you can't cherry pick which countries you choose to compare to back up your argument. There are states with restrictions as harsh as California that have done WAY better than Florida. The question isn't why has Florida done no worse than California - it's why has California done as badly as Florida. Exactly the same argument as UK v Sweden. Our measures have been so poorly implemented that we're doing as badly as a country whose lockdown was not as stringent as ours. 

7 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yes Florida and California have similar stats despite different levels of restrictions, but you can't cherry pick which countries you choose to compare to back up your argument. There are states with restrictions as harsh as California that have done WAY better than Florida. The question isn't why has Florida done no worse than California - it's why has California done as badly as Florida. Exactly the same argument as UK v Sweden. Our measures have been so poorly implemented that we're doing as badly as a country whose lockdown was not as stringent as ours. 

Can you say 'whoooosh'? 

10 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

This is where I fail to see the argument - it's obviously both, not a one or the other situation.

I will not stand for this idea that we've been through all these restrictions for no reason. You only have to look at the graphs to see the infection rates/hospitalisations/deaths inversely tracking the level of restrictions. I've hated the restrictions as much as anyone, but they do "attack the virus" and yes they are an attack on our lives too - but a necessary one. Nobody who died of covid uttered the last words "I wish we'd locked down less"

Really ?,will not stand for???‍♂️

there’s plenty that disagree with you in terms of numbers from other places and numbers in this country as discussed 

15 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Erm ,aren’t we talking about about what’s been implemented in this country under the guise of lockdown and restrictions, the gov have not given a flying duck about the health of myself and my family through this from day one in terms of catching this virus , what they have done is plenty of major restricting our lives in relatively minor risk areas ,,,, tell you what I’m far more at risk of suffering badly from catching it now than I was last march( if I’ve not had it already) ,I’m overweight, and far less fit physically and mentally now and massively down on natural vit D and natural immunity?

24 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

So up to what you choose to make of things and how you use the comparison s ??‍♂️ Of course the way you read it is how everybody should?

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

As opposed to coming on a forum and discussing knocking one off in the toilets at a match. Maybe we just find what's going on in the country more relevant ?‍♂️

Tomorrow's announcement on schools is going to be the key to really getting numbers down.

If every child goes back March 8th, the scientists seem to think the R rate will go over 1 again. Can't see the mileage in sending all kids back for 2 weeks then going off again for 2 weeks.

Come back after Easter with all school staff vaccinated, all kids tested that first day, even if it means staggered start times.    

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Think you also miss the fact that reading and engaging on this thread and politics before it gives you a real idea of what people are actually like , I’ve learnt there are a few I wouldn’t have anywhere near me in real life as I’m sure would be reciprocated ??‍♂️

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I cant see the logic. 

Why is the infection rate the all important figure all of a sudden?

Protect the NHS and save lives was the modus operandi.

If only 0.004% (or whatever the figure is) get seriously ill following vaccination, and the group of people that were making up 88% (or whatever the figure is) of hospitalizations, it shouldn't matter if the R rate is 1 or 101.

For the people that are still worried, take your own precautions.

Because we may not be out of the woods yet. The approach of encouraging the spread of infection - or at least of suggesting that with most vulnerable people having already been vaccinated the problem is in the process of going away - could possibly lead to a large number of people contracting the virus - which in itself might not be a disaster if cases are of low impact (mild cases) - but the more people who get it, the more mutations we are likely to see. It has already been seen that some of the vaccines give more limited immunity to some of the strains - so it might not be such a bad idea to be able to determine with some certainty which are the areas or activities which allow for the easier spread of the virus. A year in and that aspect is still largely conjecture.

That's why I quite deliberately used the word 'intolerable' and didn't attempt to link it to 'R' number. It's not my call to make. 

48 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Our measures have been so poorly implemented that we're doing as badly as a country whose lockdown was not as stringent as ours

So our lockdowns haven’t worked then? Which I’ve said all along.  So what’s the point in us sticking to them. 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Tomorrow's announcement on schools is going to be the key to really getting numbers down.

If every child goes back March 8th, the scientists seem to think the R rate will go over 1 again. Can't see the mileage in sending all kids back for 2 weeks then going off again for 2 weeks.

Come back after Easter with all school staff vaccinated, all kids tested that first day, even if it means staggered start times.    

You hoping to do some gardening ?

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Think you also miss the fact that reading and engaging on this thread and politics before it gives you a real idea of what people are actually like , I’ve learnt there are a few I wouldn’t have anywhere near me in real life as I’m sure would be reciprocated ??‍♂️

Why do you hate Belgian beer?

2 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Because without them it would have been even worse ?‍♂️

Would it ? How do you know? it hasn’t in Florida or Sweden..........

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

spock GIF

If you wouldn't have anything to do with people in real life why do still engage with them in the cyber world? 

1 minute ago, sage said:

It's a tough one. On the one hand, kids are being deprived of anything akin to a normal childhood and education, on the other, I do fear that the sacrifices made throughout this latest lockdown could well be undone by sending them back to school even a month too early. I'd favour waiting until after Easter if it meant we could be sure that the current school closures will be the last and that we don't end up under lockdown until Summer should the R rate spike yet again.

Archived