Coronavirus

1of4

15 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

The laughing emoji was for the bit below. I read it as suggesting people are not supporting the lockdown for reducing the virus but personal gain...which is a hidden agenda.

the above is nothing like what we are experiencing and have experienced in the U.K. where of course those that are being afforded the most protection at the least personal cost will in the main be the ones calling to support and extend them as long as poss whilst calling those not supporting them selfish and uncaring or extremists or right wing blah blah blah

Where does he mention personal gain?

Its quite clear, well to me at least, that he is merely saying that some will not suffer from lockdowns as much as others. 

These are the people that are happy to call for extended lockdowns. 

Not sure why some of you are seeing this as him accusing the Government of having a hidden agenda?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Archied said:

So those who’s lives who are the least destroyed and most protected  in the main wouldn’t be far more inclined to support the lockdowns and extensions of them to be on the ultra safe side ? That will be why people don’t vote for the parties they think will be best for themselves in elections ?????

As long as you are saying they are doing it for the right reasons, to keep the virus under control rather than anything else ?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Where does he mention personal gain?

Its quite clear, well to me at least, that he is merely saying that some will not suffer from lockdowns as much as others. 

These are the people that are happy to call for extended lockdowns. 

Not sure why some of you are seeing this as him accusing the Government of having a hidden agenda?

As I just replied to him, if this is the case that they are doing it for nothing other than keeping the virus under control then fair enough.

2 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

As I just replied to him, if this is the case that they are doing it for nothing other than keeping the virus under control then fair enough.

Understand what you are saying but this is where there is just no logic. 

@Archiedhas to go to work to be able to support his family, that is considered safe, if not the Government would be paying him to stay at home, yet its not safe for him to see people in his life away from work.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Understand what you are saying but this is where there is just no logic. 

@Archiedhas to go to work to be able to support his family, that is considered safe, if not the Government would be paying him to stay at home, yet its not safe for him to see people in his life away from work.

Workplaces are supposed to be Covid-secure. 

9 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

That the only reason they are supporting lockdowns and continue to do is to keep the virus under control rather than getting any other benefit from it.

Whether you agree with lockdowns from day 1 or not there is a tipping point and from my experience on here and people around me that tipping point is in the main very much being decided in people’s minds by how little the lockdown is destroying they’re own life ,some hide under the banner of just how much they care for saving lives and throw out accusations and insults , trouble is they ont like this pointed out and given back??‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Workplaces are supposed to be Covid-secure. 

Wow you really are extremely out of touch with life in the real world out there??‍♂️ And don’t tell me not to work on sites that aren’t because I will lose my jobs and business, won’t even bother going into wife’s childcare or daughters work as a teacher in special needs / vulnerable children’s school

9 hours ago, Archied said:

So the tired old granny killer line  yet again , give ten minutes we will be back to right wing accusation s , I find YOU and your unswerving desperation to be right funny not any single word ,line , paragraph YOU choose to assigne that laught to ,

is that really beyond the comprehension of someone who can understand everything in the universe better than anybody else with ease ??‍♂️

If you're sick of people calling you out for laughing at deaths, maybe stop laughing at deaths. Just a thought. 

I'm not sure where you've gotten this 'understand everything in the universe better than anybody else with ease' line from. It seems you take someone actually doing some research into points before wildly posting random hottakes to mean someone feels they're somehow better. I don't, and personally, I think arguments should stand apart from who has written them. Someone who knows better can make an appallingly weak argument, someone who doesn't, with proper research, can make a good argument. The point is, however, you evaluate an argument based on the evidence presented, and evidence available elsewhere, not based on who you feel is making it. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

You're obviously not reading his posts correctly. 

He has said that the Government protecting the lives of his family is down their list of priorities, he has evidenced this by the fact that he still has to go out to work to support his family, whilst others are afforded the comfort or working from home or not working at all but still being given money. If you think these facts are disputable then perhaps you should say why?

Over the last few months he has repeatedly posted accusations of the government behaving in a sinister fashion and that there are other "real" reasons why we are being held under lockdown.

I don't know why you get dragged into supporting him. You are better than that.

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

Whether you agree with lockdowns from day 1 or not there is a tipping point and from my experience on here and people around me that tipping point is in the main very much being decided in people’s minds by how little the lockdown is destroying they’re own life ,some hide under the banner of just how much they care for saving lives and throw out accusations and insults , trouble is they ont like this pointed out and given back??‍♂️

Growing up, I had a friend who despised hospitals. Their reason? When a relative of theirs went to hospital, they usually didn't come back. Why was this? Well, they had a truly massive extended family, and culturally, they tended not to go to the doctor until they were very seriously ill. 

Now, a few of their relatives thought this way too, which is why they didn't go and see a doctor until things had gotten very bad for them, usually going to casualty as opposed to their GP. It wasn't until that friend was in their 20s that it really clicked to them that they should probably see a doctor before they get to that state. 

Interestingly, that's how you seem to picture lockdowns. Lockdowns hurt, but done properly things get better, and at the very worst, they should become somewhat stable. The issue the UK has had is that they kept exiting lockdowns early, with little to no exit strategy, leading long term to this repeating trend of cases ballooning before they bothered to institute lockdowns. 

Ultimately, yeah, lives and livelihoods have been lost as a result. The reason for that was always the ballooning case numbers and the knock on impacts of that. As was discussed on here prior to the second wave, it's better for the UK to go hard and early, like countries that have been living fairly normally through these times. The UK didn't though, and waited until things had already spiraled out of control. This contributed to the rise of the new variant, which allowed things to spiral further, requiring long term serious restrictions. Ultimately, the UK fearing the lockdown has ended up condemning people to a longer, harsher, one. 

Sometimes, you've just got to see the doctor before things get out of hand. 

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Over the last few months he has repeatedly posted accusations of the government behaving in a sinister fashion and that there are other "real" reasons why we are being held under lockdown.

I don't know why you get dragged into supporting him. You are better than that.

I haven't seen these posts.

My defence of his posts today have been laid out.

I haven't seen you say anything that makes me disagree with what he says in this regard.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

@ariotofmyown @BIllyD laughing emojis to this post but I'm wondering which parts you would dispute. 

My mum is in her 60s, worked in a supermarket, worked throughout the pandemic. She somehow has been coaxed into the belief that it was safe for her to be in a shop all day but its not safe for her to see her grandchildren who have not seen anyone else for nearly 3 months.

I'll ask the question again, do you think that the politicians calling for extended lockdowns would be doing so if they were having to take a 20% paycut?

I was laughing at the attempt at trying to get some politics in there again. He tried it again earlier with social justice warriors.

I was also laughing at how he is trying to change his argument now to more rational debates about lockdown, when I was actually calling him out for regularly posting conspiracy theory stuff.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I haven't seen these posts.

My defence of his posts today have been laid out.

I haven't seen you say anything that makes me disagree with what he says in this regard.

Yeah, he has done it loads. Even when I tried to engage him on what possible evidence he has for sinister motives, he produced a emergency global pandemic session? Seriously.

Even today he said "I live in this country, lockdown and restrictions as we know it / them in this country are not an attack on the virus ,they’re  an attack on people and people’s lives".

He is accusing the government of attacks on people and their lives.

How can you defend this sort of extreme and hysterical language?

Archived