Coronavirus

1of4

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Sort of - I'm agreeing that OUR lockdown in England has been badly implemented and poorly observed, and therefore has had much worse outcomes than other countries who have implemented more restrictions at the appropriate times, and in some cases that outcome has been as bad as countries who have implemented much softer restrictions

Again it's causation argument - badly implemented, badly timed lockdowns drive less social adherence - and therefore have to last longer as they are far less effective. If we'd done the lockdowns better they would have worked better and been shorter and we wouldn't be having this conversation

If we’d done lockdowns better? How exactly? Kids aren’t going to school, all non essential shops are closed, hospitality is completely shut down, we can’t go in each other’s houses, no gatherings can take place. How could we have locked down better? I think that statement is just a swerve from the actual answer that they just don’t work and do more harm than good. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Sort of - I'm agreeing that OUR lockdown in England has been badly implemented and poorly observed, and therefore has had much worse outcomes than other countries who have implemented more restrictions at the appropriate times, and in some cases that outcome has been as bad as countries who have implemented much softer restrictions

Again it's causation argument - badly implemented, badly timed lockdowns drive less social adherence - and therefore have to last longer as they are far less effective. If we'd done the lockdowns better they would have worked better and been shorter and we wouldn't be having this conversation

Please father ,your not beating me bad enough , if only you would beat me harder then I wouldn’t need beating ???

28 minutes ago, Archied said:

Don’t be silly I’ve made it very clear as you well know that myself and my family have been out to work every day since day one ,perhaps why I don’t have and can’t afford the level of paranoia that the lock us up please brigade have acquired through this , also worth noting the  whole paranoia issue was raised by another poster accusing me of being driven by paranoia ??‍♂️?

"I live in this country, lockdown and restrictions as we know it / them in this country are not an attack on the virus ,they’re  an attack on people and people’s lives 

Protecting mine and my families lives and health from this virus has been way down the government s priorities , high risk no life"

Restrictions are an attack on people? Protecting the lives of families are way down on the government's priorities?

Whilst I abhor Boris Johnson and his crew, I can picture the hopeless exasperation on his face if this ever put to him.

You've been asked loads of times what your real reasons are for so many governments implementing lockdowns and have never produced anything.

I don't really care that your opinions hold zero water, but you post an awful lot on this thread and it's coming from a place that is extreme. You probably think the same about @Albert and his "boring" analysis and data I guess.

33 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

If we’d done lockdowns better? How exactly? Kids aren’t going to school, all non essential shops are closed, hospitality is completely shut down, we can’t go in each other’s houses, no gatherings can take place. How could we have locked down better? I think that statement is just a swerve from the actual answer that they just don’t work and do more harm than good. 

Because we stopped the lockdowns. We started a go eat scheme, we let anyone and everyone come in through our borders. Only when the numbers got out of control, the R number went through the roof did we decide to lockdown again.

22 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

"I live in this country, lockdown and restrictions as we know it / them in this country are not an attack on the virus ,they’re  an attack on people and people’s lives 

Protecting mine and my families lives and health from this virus has been way down the government s priorities , high risk no life"

Restrictions are an attack on people? Protecting the lives of families are way down on the government's priorities?

Whilst I abhor Boris Johnson and his crew, I can picture the hopeless exasperation on his face if this ever put to him.

You've been asked loads of times what your real reasons are for so many governments implementing lockdowns and have never produced anything.

I don't really care that your opinions hold zero water, but you post an awful lot on this thread and it's coming from a place that is extreme. You probably think the same about @Albert and his "boring" analysis and data I guess.

You didn't really need to post all of the first 5 paragraphs. 

Last one would have done, you've decided to hang on every word that another poster says, which of course is fine. 

Think we've all seen this morning though that there are holes in their data/analysis and they push their narrative by selectively choosing stats to match their agenda, which is obviously something we are all guilty of.

27 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You abhor boris and his crew ? Why’s that then ? 
you can ask all you want , I speak about my experience in this country through this last year , that’s it ??‍♂️, you want me to theorise ? No I will leave that to you ,

have the gov prioritised protecting me and my family from contracting this virus? No 

You brought up the paranoia stuff but can’t answer

have you worked from home ? 
have you been better protected?
are you now scared to go back to normal life?

you see I’m willing to bet the trade off for you has seemed far more worth it so you have a different perspective, personally I can’t afford the luxury of the paranoia you first paint then can’t see

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You didn't really need to post all of the first 5 paragraphs. 

Last one would have done, you've decided to hang on every word that another poster says, which of course is fine. 

Think we've all seen this morning though that there are holes in their data/analysis and they push their narrative by selectively choosing stats to match their agenda, which is obviously something we are all guilty of.

I think you're almost attempting to distance yourself from what he thinks, but not quite.

I think your points get lost sometimes as they become lumped in with this sort of nonsense.

Whilst the lockdown debate is a valid one, accusing the powers-that-be of some sort of sinister hidden agenda is borderline hysterical.

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

You abhor boris and his crew ? Why’s that then ? 
you can ask all you want , I speak about my experience in this country through this last year , that’s it ??‍♂️, you want me to theorise ? No I will leave that to you ,

have the gov prioritised protecting me and my family from contracting this virus? No 

You brought up the paranoia stuff but can’t answer

have you worked from home ? 
have you been better protected?
are you now scared to go back to normal life?

you see I’m willing to bet the trade off for you has seemed far more worth it so you have a different perspective, personally I can’t afford the luxury of the paranoia you first paint then can’t see

Why are you worried about not being protected whilst you repeatedly claim there is nothing to worry about?

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Your arguments were beaten to a pulp a long, long time ago.

I'm not sure that there have been many arguments that have been well and truly beaten on this thread.

I think the only 2 conclusively beaten are:-

1 - Covid-19 is no more deadly tham seasonal flu

2 - The Government handled the pandemic in a competent way (although the vaccine rollout has been a slight redeeming feature)

51 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Because we stopped the lockdowns. We started a go eat scheme, we let anyone and everyone come in through our borders. Only when the numbers got out of control, the R number went through the roof did we decide to lockdown again.

So if we didn’t have vaccines we should lockdown forever and ever regardless ?

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think you're almost attempting to distance yourself from what he thinks, but not quite.

I think your points get lost sometimes as they become lumped in with this sort of nonsense.

Whilst the lockdown debate is a valid one, accusing the powers-that-be of some sort of sinister hidden agenda is borderline hysterical.

Ive never seen him accuse of some sort of hidden agenda.

My take on @Archiedposts are that the Government, and numerous posters on here, are happy to advocate very draconian measures because it has the square root of sweet fa impact on their lives.

Do you think politicans would be clambering to extend lockdowns if it meant a 20% paycut for them?

You may find that hysterical but maybe that is because you also fit into the category, I don't know your personal circumstamces.

Personally, I have a huge amount of sympathy for anyone that has to go to work every day to support their family, only to be told its unsafe to meet other members of their family in a park, just doesnt sit well with me.

20 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yep same old tactic , don’t agree throw out the extreme and wild accusations, quite sad really

19 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Why are you worried about not being protected whilst you repeatedly claim there is nothing to worry about?

Wow , just wow , the argument has never been NOTHING to worry about as well you know but that same old boring tactic comes out when your not able to answer ?, the argument is risk v risk , cost of lives v cost of lives , we are all in this together v oops turns out we are not all in this together but shut up and save ME

36 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Am I wrong to be worried about being told not to worry you and your family just go out to work every day but hang on worry like hell every other minute of the day ?,

perhaps if I could stay at home , keep my family home on full pay for as long as ,,,, I may buy into the  utopia your selling 

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ive never seen him accuse of some sort of hidden agenda.

My take on @Archiedposts are that the Government, and numerous posters on here, are happy to advocate very draconian measures because it has the square root of sweet fa impact on their lives.

Do you think politicans would be clambering to extend lockdowns if it meant a 20% paycut for them?

You may find that hysterical but maybe that is because you also fit into the category, I don't know your personal circumstamces.

Personally, I have a huge amount of sympathy for anyone that has to go to work every day to support their family, only to be told its unsafe to meet other members of their family in a park, just doesnt sit well with me.

I must admit my take on his posts was that the lockdowns had been introduced to benefit the few, which it has done, rather than control the virus. Those that supported it have though been "brainwashed" by the media rather than making their own minds up.

No problem with that view as I have said before, but seems I was completely wrong and hold my hands up Archie ?

Archived