Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I think anti lockdown will get bigger in numbers and force goverment to end freaking lockdown so life go back to normal.

If you live in Nottingham like myself that's been happening for weeks now amongst the student body.

It's not going to make the government change their stance one iota, all its doing is whipping up anti student feeling amongst the locals when you read reports of the entire Nottinghamshire Constabulary raiding a student party with 8 people supping bottles of Frosty Jacks in their living room in Lenton.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

She has pretty much followed everything that the Conservatives have done, just making small tweaks to make it look like she knows what she is doing.

Great leadership yet the same outcome..

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55120734

I saw the interview live and it was uncomfortable viewing at times for her. 

She answered all the questions and stood her ground. Night and day compared to the various people who have been on the show from Westminster over the last 6 months.

As for following the Conservative's, more like she was following the science and tweeking. The last people she would want to be seen to follow is the Conservative's. 

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

I saw the interview live and it was uncomfortable viewing at times for her. 

She answered all the questions and stood her ground. Night and day compared to the various people who have been on the show from Westminster over the last 6 months.

As for following the Conservative's, more like she was following the science and tweeking. The last people she would want to be seen to follow is the Conservative's. 

Yeah fair play to her for admitting mistakes have been made, its hard to imagine any Conservative minister doing that.

Following the science and tweaking? Im interested to hear what this in relation to and how her policies are any different to the Conservatives?

15 hours ago, Archied said:

masks, social distancing , if I had symptoms get tested and isolate if positive 

And do you think that, if we left everyone to be equally responsible, but had no rules on essential travel and limited the numbers/settings on social gatherings, then that would bring the infection rate down to a manageable level?

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

And do you think that, if we left everyone to be equally responsible, but had no rules on essential travel and limited the numbers/settings on social gatherings, then that would bring the infection rate down to a manageable level?

Depends what you class as a manageable level?

As far as I'm aware the inflection rate has yet to go over a manageable level.

30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Depends what you class as a manageable level?

As far as I'm aware the inflection rate has yet to go over a manageable level.

The problem with exponential expansion is by the time the rate approaches 'unmanageable', if you fail to take action at that time, then you need to take Draconian action later.

It's akin to the old chessboard problem. A man elects to be paid one penny to work all day and the money is placed on a square on a chessboard, but each day he works, his rate doubles, and this arrangement continues. After a week, he has earned a paltry £1.27 and after a fortnight still barely £163.83, but after just 27 days he has grossed more than £1 million. After the full 64 days he has amassed £184,467,440,737,095,516.15

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

The problem with exponential expansion is by the time the rate approaches 'unmanageable', if you fail to take action at that time, then you need to take Draconian action later.

Precisely this - the level of the measures we're in now (which people are angry about) is purely down to mismanagement of the pandemic containment for the last 9 months.

Archie's "mask/space - catch it and isolate" precautions that he advocates as the solution didn't really seem to work between July and October did they?

However - if we'd done even less (which is what some seem to be advocating), the situation we'd be in now would be unimaginable

And we know the human imagination is weak and most people don't look beyond what's at the end of their nose 

Doesnt help the situation that the folks in red dont want to vote tonight and let the government fall on it's backside on the tier system. Not the best idea when millions of people are at risk. Typical really I guess from a lawyer.

On 28/11/2020 at 21:18, Albert said:

I do think that lockdowns are a poor long term strategy. The key point is, however, they work, and when you're out of other options, it ultimately gets forced upon you. As noted, I feel the UK has gotten itself into a horrid position, and there sadly don't seem to be better options. 

Who remembers when littering was frowned upon by the general public and environmentalists alike?

Seems mask litter is now accepted though. Or do people throw them for birds to eat? Perhaps they magically biodegrade to produce super anti COVID compost. 

6 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Too late I know but at the very start I can get on board with stopping travel into the country from abroad , stopping mass gatherings like football , Cheltenham, masks , social distancing even schools closed until we could see what we were facing / dealing with in terms of numbers of hospitalised and deaths ( true numbers not the within 28 days of test guff , it is not a true figure of COVID deaths) ,,, manageable level is something that is also contentious at this point , we are led to believe our hospitals are bursting at the seams with COVID patients and that’s clearly not the case , on the whole we are at similar capacity levels to most winters

6 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Precisely this - the level of the measures we're in now (which people are angry about) is purely down to mismanagement of the pandemic containment for the last 9 months.

Archie's "mask/space - catch it and isolate" precautions that he advocates as the solution didn't really seem to work between July and October did they?

However - if we'd done even less (which is what some seem to be advocating), the situation we'd be in now would be unimaginable

And we know the human imagination is weak and most people don't look beyond what's at the end of their nose 

That’s might be because in the rush to unfocused, blunt ,pocket lining ,draconian blanket policies, we had been pushing the virus out of hospitals into care homes , coming out with world beating testing number claims ( that were clearly fiddled and miscounted) rather than testing where most needed ,,,, I could go on and on but what’s the point ,you clearly think what we have now and what we had from the start is justifiable and right ,, I don’t , let’s also be clear in that I don’t believe for a second the Labour Party would have been any better ,starmer is just a better spoken smoother sturgeon ??‍♂️,

let’s talk again next December when you might be a bit more tired of all the rubbish being spouted and we are no further forward or any movement is like pulling teeth

2 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Doesnt help the situation that the folks in red dont want to vote tonight and let the government fall on it's backside on the tier system. Not the best idea when millions of people are at risk. Typical really I guess from a lawyer.

Typical of a politician with his eye on the next election and being pm , cowardly self serving pretenders most of them

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Debate on the Tier system in Houses of Parliament.

19 MPs there.

About sums our Parliamentary system up.

It strikes me that, if an alternative to attendance in person is available, then choosing said alternative would be preferable.

Methinks that you are choosing the wrong hill to die upon in order to make a point.

50 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It strikes me that, if an alternative to attendance in person is available, then choosing said alternative would be preferable.

Methinks that you are choosing the wrong hill to die upon in order to make a point.

There was nobody attending via alternative methods from what I could see.

Archived