Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I agree with the sentiment yes, complete over reaction that’s destroyed our way of life socially and economically. However you’re right the vaccine is coming and I can’t wait to get back to normal

A reopening of schools in September and social distancing restrictions in place over the summer months, plus things like no crowds at football matches has still got us to 500 deaths per day and covid hospitalisations at the same number as in the April peak. This would have been even higher without the last month of lockdown.

No restrictions would lead to at least 500 deaths per day until the 400-600k of the uk were all dead!

There are loads of people dying everyday who probably just wanted something like a return to normal. Who met up with their younger relations who had been to school or work. And that younger relative will now have to live forever with the fact their grandparent/parent died after catching it from them. And always ask why they couldn't have waited just 2 more months until the vaccine arrived.

Imagine the future mental impact on a child who finds out in the future that their nan/grandad caught covid off them and died.

Unfortunately, you are just expressing rather mainstream opinions here.

No one who accepts these fairly obvious numbers surely thinks that this number of deaths is acceptable for a return to normal, especially with so much positive news on vaccines?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

The topic of 'shielding' the vulnerable to allow people to get on with life has been raised a lot.

As someone who is in the vulnerable category I have said I would be open to this to help the country get back to normal, but I do wonder in reality how it would work.

So take people like me, I shield, does my wife too who isnt vulnerable?

If i live in household where one person is vulnerable and several others arent? School children etc? How would we handle this.

What about multi generational households with some elderly and some not?

Ok I know under the current shielding rules you wouldnt need to isolate the non vulnerable people too, but in a situation we open the country back up surely those non vulnerable people will be more at risk themselves, and then puts the vulnerable people at risk.

Add into that many of the general public have shown a total lack of common sense, can we rely on the younger, non vulnerable people, not to visit grandma and grandad, or if elderly are out walking whos responsibility is it to keep a reasonable distance? Or arent the elderly, or even vulnerable allowed out at all? Do we have set hours these people can excercise outdoors etc and other people have to adhere and keep off the streets at these hours?

I have no idea on numbers, but if we had to isolate the elderly/vulnerable AND those they live with (and support bubbles maybe) how many people will this be? Would it actually be more than are currently on furlough? Will those forced to isolate receive 80% pay too?

So I am open to it, just asking the question how it would work in reality? I may be wrong but no other country has done this as far as i know, if its workable why havent Italy, France, Spain etc done it ?

And the suggestion we house the elderly, vulnerable in the nightingales to keep them 'isolated' is an appalling one.

Great post, although it's rather despairing that you even have too point this stuff out. As a nation, we seem unable to think beyond simplistic thoughts and ideas. Was it always like this?

12 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

A reopening of schools in September and social distancing restrictions in place over the summer months, plus things like no crowds at football matches has still got us to 500 deaths per day and covid hospitalisations at the same number as in the April peak. This would have been even higher without the last month of lockdown.

No restrictions would lead to at least 500 deaths per day until the 400-600k of the uk were all dead!

There are loads of people dying everyday who probably just wanted something like a return to normal. Who met up with their younger relations who had been to school or work. And that younger relative will now have to live forever with the fact their grandparent/parent died after catching it from them. And always ask why they couldn't have waited just 2 more months until the vaccine arrived.

Imagine the future mental impact on a child who finds out in the future that their nan/grandad caught covid off them and died.

No one who accepts these fairly obvious numbers surely thinks that this number of deaths is acceptable for a return to normal, especially with so much positive news on vaccines?

As with my theory/logic and belief yours are all ifs buts and maybes. We’ll never know, we don’t know now what numbers are true and are not. As I said to Albert I don’t want to get in to tit for tat posting wars it’s not worth both of our time doing that. 

35 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

As with my theory/logic and belief yours are all ifs buts and maybes. We’ll never know, we don’t know now what numbers are true and are not. As I said to Albert I don’t want to get in to tit for tat posting wars it’s not worth both of our time doing that. 

1.9k more people died in the week ending 13th November vs the 5 year average, an increase of 18%. 2.4k people had covid on their death certificate.

Apart from the ONS fraudulently recording deaths, I'm not sure why you wouldn't believe these numbers.

Again though, many people seem unable to grasp this level of...erm...complexity. Perhaps it's due to poor communication from our leaders, who have shown to be rather poor communicators when something more that a 3 word simplistic slogan is created.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Great post, although it's rather despairing that you even have too point this stuff out. As a nation, we seem unable to think beyond simplistic thoughts and ideas. Was it always like this?

I must admit I am open to being 'imprisoned ' as has been suggested.  If the government, at the tax payers expense,  want to arrange for all of us who need protection to be flown out to the Maldives for the next 4 months I'll be quite happy to be under house arrest there. That way there can be no risk from those not isolating.

Seriously why didn't we think of this before. 

?

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

There are probably also loads of people dying per day that spent their final months not having contact with their relatives and were left wondering why they bothered.

Imagine how the relatives left behind feel knowing that they did not visit their dying family in the misguided belief that they were helping them.

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Really this makes me mad how can say the kids gave to them. If been out and about they could picked up from anywhere.

And plus what did lockdown achieve apart from losing peoples jobs and put uk in piles of debt.

31 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I respect him for sharing his opinion. It doesn't mean I agree with it.

Yep , same in return,,, I’m not on here to win an argument, especially in this case where there is no winning stance , there’s losers whichever way

18 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not really Coronavirus virus related but don't be fooled into think the collapse of the Arcadia Group is down to coronavirus, it really is just the final nail in the coffin.

That crook and his family have run it into the ground whilst siphoning of large amounts to their tax haven.

Of course coupled with the fact that nobody gets off their arse to go shopping anymore.

It will be interesting to see how many people bemoaning the job losses will change their shopping habits when things return to normal.

Nobody 'Goes to the shops' any more as a leisure activity.

Digital device + web + secure payment = look for it- found it - bought it.

People's houses have much less stuff in them than they did in the 1990s. I am regularly mocked by my nephews/nieces for having CDs/DVDs. They act as if I had a spinning wheel lit by candles.

Retail - or rather the people who run it - have had a tough time getting their heads around this. Insane retail property rents have also made it almost not worth starting a retail chain.

A consequence of the pandemic is that the process has been sped up considerably. 

Most businesses who have been unable to function in some form during the pandemic I think are probably knackered too.

Adapt and survive. Or not.

I guess as the virus has killed physically vulnerable individuals so it has/will slay brittle weak companies.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

He said 1% of people who catch it, you have morphed that into everyone catching it.

He said, which I quoted "we are losing sight of this for a virus that kills 1% of people who catch it and we all will catch it at some point , of that I’m pretty sure".

The idea that he accepts 500k deaths or so is ok is crazy talk, especially with a vaccine imminent. 

46 minutes ago, Archied said:

After disgusting scenes of the old lady protester arrested and manhandled last week , more worrying footage today , everything this country is / was supposed to be is disappearing fast before our eyes

You need to be sensible about this though and realise how clever this virus is that we are dealing with. Since March it has developed the intelligence to tell the following things:-

- The difference between BLM or Extinction Rebellion marches and anti lockdown marches (where it is only present at the latter)

- The difference between 10pm and 11pm

- The difference between 6 people and 7 people

- The difference between 2 metres and 1 metre plus

- The difference between betting shops and adult gaming centres

- Where county border lines are

- Which people are having a meal with their beers and which aren't 

- Which shops are selling essential goods and which shops aren't 

It really is one clever virus!

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

There are probably also loads of people dying per day that spent their final months not having contact with their relatives and were left wondering why they bothered.

Imagine how the relatives left behind feel knowing that they did not visit their dying family in the misguided belief that they were helping them.

So... what you're saying is that they should have just gone out and about, made it spread quicker, likely caught it sooner, and made sure others did too? What kind of twisted logic is that? 

It's a horrible situation the UK has gotten itself into, but this 'well, they died, so may as well have brought others with them' logic is just horrific. 

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Really this makes me mad how can say the kids gave to them. If been out and about they could picked up from anywhere.

And plus what did lockdown achieve apart from losing peoples jobs and put uk in piles of debt.

Lockdowns has saved lives, and slowed the spread. There's no question on that front. We have the data, they made a difference. 

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

So... what you're saying is that they should have just gone out and about, made it spread quicker, likely caught it sooner, and made sure others did too? What kind of twisted logic is that? 

It's a horrible situation the UK has gotten itself into, but this 'well, they died, so may as well have brought others with them' logic is just horrific. 

Lockdowns has saved lives, and slowed the spread. There's no question on that front. We have the data, they made a difference. 

I dont think slowed at all or stopped from spreading at all

46 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You need to be sensible about this though and realise how clever this virus is that we are dealing with. Since March it has developed the intelligence to tell the following things:-

- The difference between BLM or Extinction Rebellion marches and anti lockdown marches (where it is only present at the latter)

- The difference between 10pm and 11pm

- The difference between 6 people and 7 people

- The difference between 2 metres and 1 metre plus

- The difference between betting shops and adult gaming centres

- Where county border lines are

- Which people are having a meal with their beers and which aren't 

- Which shops are selling essential goods and which shops aren't 

It really is one clever virus!

Just seen a funny true observation,,, apparently there were more unmasked shoppers on Oxford street than protesters ,,, needless to say no arrest s there?,,, 

29 minutes ago, Albert said:

Not sure how you reached that conclusion from what I said.

If you disagree then you must think it is humane to have the elderly dying without any access to their loved ones, I find that logic absolutely abhorrent.

Archived