Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, rammieib said:

This is just how I feel - I really dislike life at the moment. Decisions are made by those whose jobs are 100% safe - hey - they even want to give themselves a 4% pay increase yet those people on the frontline are getting nothing

Your situation really sucks matey and you have my sympathy and wishes that it gets better soon.

I don't have any answers. People who are sure that we should do this or do that lose me because nobody knows. Both sides of the argument can make a solid case and people suffer either way.

But the point I wanted to make is this.

Can you imagine if Johnson had come out and said, 'I'm suggesting that members of the Government take a 10% pay cut and MPs in general agree to a 5% pay cut to show our solidarity with front line workers both in the healthcare sector, first responders and even supermarket workers' how revered he'd be?

None of them would end up hungry or lose their houses, but they would demonstrate real compassion and leadership.

Any MP who is okay with getting a 4% increase as pay freezes are implemented for people on the front line should be voted out.

But of course, it doesn't work like that which is why a failed businessman who lost an election by 5 million votes is still supported by 70+ million Americans and claiming he won.

Hugs to your wife.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Not true.

I went to the OFFICIAL statistics. Christ, it's trying to debate with a bloody goldfish.

I have no ducking agenda, other than being able to see me grandchildren for the first time in 9 months. And you know who's denying me that chance? Utter morons who suggest that we ought to open everything up and just go about their lives as though we are not living in a worldwide pandemic.

Thing is you would struggle to find one post on here (now that @smiths_tavrn has disappeared) that advocates what you are saying in your last paragraph.

Once again the citizens of this country seem to have been whipped into this frenzy where they have been led to believe that the response we have is a binary choice:-

1 - Completely lockdown and trash the economy 

2 - Carry on as if nothing is happening and kill of all vulnerable people 

Why can we not apply some common sense and realise that the sensible option lies somewhere inbetween?

You're only fooling yourself it you seriously think that it is the fault of morons that you have not seen your grandchildren for 9 months.

My stepdad is in the vulnerable category and he has seen his grandchildren on numerous occasions.

We applied common sense, taught my kids the seriousness of the situation and guess what...he didnt catch Covid and die.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Not true.

I went to the OFFICIAL statistics. Christ, it's trying to debate with a bloody goldfish.

I have no ducking agenda, other than being able to see me grandchildren for the first time in 9 months. And you know who's denying me that chance? Utter morons who suggest that we ought to open everything up and just go about their lives as though we are not living in a worldwide pandemic.

''If there had been no lockdowns and everyone had just gone about their merry way, we would have been looking at upwards of a quarter of a million deaths.''

In what way is that an OFFICIAL statistic Eddie. Be as condescending as you like though. 

You know what my agenda is? Actually being able to get a job and being able to live my life, which I've not been able to do for 2020, for a virus with a less than 0.01% chance of killing me. 

30 minutes ago, Andicis said:

''If there had been no lockdowns and everyone had just gone about their merry way, we would have been looking at upwards of a quarter of a million deaths.''

In what way is that an OFFICIAL statistic Eddie. Be as condescending as you like though. 

You know what my agenda is? Actually being able to get a job and being able to live my life, which I've not been able to do for 2020, for a virus with a less than 0.01% chance of killing me. 

Sorry to hear you have no work, must be hard. How have you survived?

0.01% chance of killing you, how have you come to that conclusion out of curiosity?

Just now, jimmyp said:

Sorry to hear you have no work, must be hard. How have you survived?

0.01% chance of killing you, how have you come to that conclusion out of curiosity?

I'm 21. It's a rough estimate of the risk but I'm sure it's pretty close to being correct. 

That first line, I'm not even going to bite. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'm 21. It's a rough estimate of the risk but I'm sure it's pretty close to being correct. 

That first line, I'm not even going to bite. 

I have an opposing view to you on lockdown, doesn’t mean I don’t agree with you on it being incredibly poo.

Whilst it’s had a financial impact on me  it’s  nothing compared to those without work. Once again I sympathise with your situation. 

I don’t believe 0.01% is close to being correct for your age. 

5 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

I have an opposing view to you on lockdown, doesn’t mean I don’t agree with you on it being incredibly poo.

Whilst it’s had a financial impact on me  it’s  nothing compared to those without work. Once again I sympathise with your situation. 

I don’t believe 0.01% is close to being correct for your age. 

Its much lower at a guess.

Under 19s is roughly 0.0000013%

On 10/11/2020 at 22:32, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I am very concerned to be honest that we have the best part of 1000 deaths over the last few days when I understood that new therapeutics were likely to reduce fatality.  The danger limit also appears to have decreased to age  50.  Heard that a few times over the last few days.

The tier system we had in place was seemingly based on the same or more infection will result in much less fatality with these therapeutics.  Think that was a false dawn.

Not sure .. and like much of this stuff, no one has an answer .. everyone is taking a best shot at things. Hindsight merchants are A holes. Medics and politicians alike want a good outcome. 

A bit ITK ish, i.e. on the basis of one of those ... my mates mates sisters husbands girlfriend .. but I learn via a senior nursing source at Derby Royal that numbers have increased over the last few weeks from kind of 200 admissions through to 400 and it’s tough going .. BUT .. ICU has plenty of capacity, isn’t struggling as it was early on. .. in essence the means and efficacy  of treatment to those infected is improving to the point that much reduced numbers need the heavy duty apparatus of ICU / ventilators and whatever that would previously been a crisis point for them or the system as a whole. 

just need to keep it under control for the next 6 months while the vaccines come on line. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

The point is not the deaths or your odds of death as an individual. The point is .. people getting very ill in huge numbers. This swamps the NHS so that you reach a point where you can’t get successful treatment so the numbers of deaths increase beyond what the disease would normally take with a working health system. At the same time .. if, of those numbers getting Ill there are workers at power plants, sewage works, Internet facilitators, food supply chains then society breaks down. You get a host of sanitary problems, old folk with no power freezing to death. Lawlessness of all forms. If 250k people die it would be tragic but the additions to that in terms of poverty, victims of crime, and afailing infrastructure thousand that happen as a result of the breakdown of normal service would be of epic proportions. We aren’t having lockdowns because your odds of death or even the economy ... it’s to protect a functioning society in its entirety 

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

21 deaths from 15.62m population (using figure from 2018 but assume not changed too much).

Deaths figure is from an Excel spreadsheet that I cant link.

Have all under 19’s been infected with covid-19?

If your relatively healthy and 21 more like 1 in a 1000,00 chance of death than 1 in 10000, more chance of being runover or dying through an alternative disease.  Not to say its a joke, because its not for those who die but I agree the restrictions are only beneficial for those who need them if you don't your basically just getting the negative effects for something that doesn't impact you. 

Archived