Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Really? Fans of the old Politics thread will know I'm not exactly a supporter of this government, but even I can't see the logic in what you're saying there. Do you genuinely think that the lateral flow tests are purely a method by which to justify lockdowns?

At best I'd say the lateral flow tests are a crude and unreliable method by which to try and limit transmission of the virus - but better than nothing at all. Friends working in the hospital have to do them twice a week and it's helping to stop breakouts amongst staff so that the hospitals can function as best they can

Depends how we look at things I guess.

I think we can all agree (to some extent) that back in March and April cases were significantly higher than what they have been in recent weeks. However, the government had no way of measuring it back then with no capacity in the market to test.

Now, if the two amigo's Vallance and Witty could produce a graph which showed a genuinely rate of infection and it captured everybody from day one, I think the recent weeks would only be a very small increase on where we were back in March and April.

Now though - they've made decisions, affecting millions of people whose employment and mental health has suffered. I've gone home to my wife who has been crying during the day - my wife is Irish, we had a child in lockdown and she's not been able to go home and visit her family since February.

It's just heartbreaking but that mental health impact on my wife isn't recorded anywhere.... until these scenarios become unemployment numbers or suicides and so on.

So - when Asymptomatic people, who are perfectly healthy, could get asked to lock themselves up for 2 weeks with people voluntarily going for tests, I think its messed up. We don't 'lock ourselves up' for other illnesses and so on.

This is just how I feel - I really dislike life at the moment. Decisions are made by those whose jobs are 100% safe - hey - they even want to give themselves a 4% pay increase yet those people on the frontline are getting nothing.

I truly detest how the government is run and the decisions they make. I truly detest the constant scaremongering with inaccurate data on which they make decisions.

I truly detest the constant mind changing - BOJO - "We may never get a vaccine", Hancock - "We are trying to keep the cases low until we get a vaccine".

It's just pish poor management of the utmost degree. I truly hate the backhanded contracts awarded to mates of Government ministers for companies who have never bought an ounce of PPE in their life.

So when I feel that Lateral Flow tests are an opportunity to find asymptomatic people, I don't believe its the only reason. They want to scare people again, justify decision makers and stop us living a free life.

For what its worth - I'd relax all rules apart from crowded bars and clubs. I'm restrict numbers to indoor and outdoor events (circa 30-50% max) but I'd now be doing everything I can to push the economy and get it moving again, and get people spending money.

The vaccine is one month away - believe it or not, even if we 'open up' - it'll still take 6 months for any learned behaviors to change in people. If we opened up tomorrow, @Eddie isn't going to start going to the pub every day is he. He's sensible enough to know there is still a threat out there and he will still take some precautions.

Trust the British people - if enough people continue to behave themselves, then they will. Of course we will still have some idiots, we will do regardless of a lockdown or a tiered approach, but likewise, when we have a vaccine, there will be 50% of people who decide against taking it. So what we going to do then - stay in a lockdown foever?

Sorry for the rant - everyone has a different opinion and I am no more right/wrong than you are but I just hate what we have become. I hate the fact my 5 year old cannot go to a party or who dance lesson. I hate the fact that my wife isn't allowed to visit her family and I hate seeing her in a depressed manner.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

So because those numbers are unreliable, you made a completely unsubstantiated statement - but hey, it fitted your agenda.

You plucked a number of death figures from the air, how are you any different from me? Fit your agenda though, didn't it.

Nothing political, just a football thought. If this has been covered, my apologies. What if there's a massive north-south divide, say the south is fine but the north isn't, would a southern team benefit from having fans in the ground, to the detriment of the northern teams. Not sure it would be fair. 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Depends how we look at things I guess.

I think we can all agree (to some extent) that back in March and April cases were significantly higher than what they have been in recent weeks. However, the government had no way of measuring it back then with no capacity in the market to test.

Now, if the two amigo's Vallance and Witty could produce a graph which showed a genuinely rate of infection and it captured everybody from day one, I think the recent weeks would only be a very small increase on where we were back in March and April.

Now though - they've made decisions, affecting millions of people whose employment and mental health has suffered. I've gone home to my wife who has been crying during the day - my wife is Irish, we had a child in lockdown and she's not been able to go home and visit her family since February.

It's just heartbreaking but that mental health impact on my wife isn't recorded anywhere.... until these scenarios become unemployment numbers or suicides and so on.

So - when Asymptomatic people, who are perfectly healthy, could get asked to lock themselves up for 2 weeks with people voluntarily going for tests, I think its messed up. We don't 'lock ourselves up' for other illnesses and so on.

This is just how I feel - I really dislike life at the moment. Decisions are made by those whose jobs are 100% safe - hey - they even want to give themselves a 4% pay increase yet those people on the frontline are getting nothing.

I truly detest how the government is run and the decisions they make. I truly detest the constant scaremongering with inaccurate data on which they make decisions.

I truly detest the constant mind changing - BOJO - "We may never get a vaccine", Hancock - "We are trying to keep the cases low until we get a vaccine".

It's just pish poor management of the utmost degree. I truly hate the backhanded contracts awarded to mates of Government ministers for companies who have never bought an ounce of PPE in their life.

So when I feel that Lateral Flow tests are an opportunity to find asymptomatic people, I don't believe its the only reason. They want to scare people again, justify decision makers and stop us living a free life.

For what its worth - I'd relax all rules apart from crowded bars and clubs. I'm restrict numbers to indoor and outdoor events (circa 30-50% max) but I'd now be doing everything I can to push the economy and get it moving again, and get people spending money.

The vaccine is one month away - believe it or not, even if we 'open up' - it'll still take 6 months for any learned behaviors to change in people. If we opened up tomorrow, @Eddie isn't going to start going to the pub every day is he. He's sensible enough to know there is still a threat out there and he will still take some precautions.

Trust the British people - if enough people continue to behave themselves, then they will. Of course we will still have some idiots, we will do regardless of a lockdown or a tiered approach, but likewise, when we have a vaccine, there will be 50% of people who decide against taking it. So what we going to do then - stay in a lockdown foever?

Sorry for the rant - everyone has a different opinion and I am no more right/wrong than you are but I just hate what we have become. I hate the fact my 5 year old cannot go to a party or who dance lesson. I hate the fact that my wife isn't allowed to visit her family and I hate seeing her in a depressed manner.

It has to stop, human beings cannot exist like this , January 1st is the end for me ,after that they can poke it ,enough is enough

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

My biggest worry is that on Dec 16th we will go down to tier 2 2 week before Christmas and every youngster and a good few dimwits will head into Derby restaurants and shops, we'll have dancing in the street and the numbers will take off again.

Won’t work like that though.  You can’t mix households in restaurants and bars still have to serve food. 
it seems it have exited this recent lockdown in a worse tier than when I started. 
Remind me why we locked down again. 

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Won’t work like that though.  You can’t mix households in restaurants and bars still have to serve food. 
it seems it have exited this recent lockdown in a worse tier than when I started. 
Remind me why we locked down again. 

Because we put up with any old shat?

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

You plucked a number of death figures from the air, how are you any different from me? Fit your agenda though, didn't it.

Not true.

I went to the OFFICIAL statistics. Christ, it's trying to debate with a bloody goldfish.

I have no ducking agenda, other than being able to see me grandchildren for the first time in 9 months. And you know who's denying me that chance? Utter morons who suggest that we ought to open everything up and just go about their lives as though we are not living in a worldwide pandemic.

Archived