Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One person on here, apologies I can't remember who, suggested instead of lockdown we shield the vulnerable. How, was the question, and they suggested the Nightingale hospitals.

Do we hospitalise nearly 9 million over 70s? Plus people with medical conditions? Would that cost less than lockdown? Do we have capacity to add possibly 10 million people to the hospital bed count?

So, apparently today is tier decision day with a further review on the 18th Dec. 

I'm in Leicestershire and there are noises it will be tier 3. 

I'll be glad the gyms are reopening but apart from that its not going to change much to the way I've been living for the last 6 months. Working from home etc. 

Ive decided not to travel and spend time with my parents at Christmas just in case I unintentionally bring the virus with me. Zoom will have to do, and vaccine permitting we will have a proper get together in February. 

Here's hoping for a tier 2 decision so that pubs and restaurants are open. The towns and villages look desperately sad with them closed. 

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

One person on here, apologies I can't remember who, suggested instead of lockdown we shield the vulnerable. How, was the question, and they suggested the Nightingale hospitals.

Do we hospitalise nearly 9 million over 70s? Plus people with medical conditions? Would that cost less than lockdown? Do we have capacity to add possibly 10 million people to the hospital bed count?

Scenes in the Nightingales if it happened.

20140315_usp507.jpg

6 hours ago, Andicis said:

I don't put much credence in the number of cases reported back then due to the absence in testing. The lockdown was on the 23 of March, cases peaked in early April before lockdown could have worked and then from there cases went down which they were bound to have done. 

So because those numbers are unreliable, you made a completely unsubstantiated statement - but hey, it fitted your agenda.

35 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

That was my suggestion.

I kinda meant rather than send the elderly directly into care homes from hospital they could have gone into the Nightingale hospitals as a temporary measure - freeing up regular hospitals, treating them for whatever they were in hospital for and ensuring they were virus free before sending them onto care homes. 

I don't know what percentage of total covid deaths care homes make up now, but it did used to be pretty high.  In hindsight, we would have been much better off focussing money on ensuring care homes and staff had adequate protections, training and hygiene.

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

That was my suggestion.

I kinda meant rather than send the elderly directly into care homes from hospital they could have gone into the Nightingale hospitals as a temporary measure - freeing up regular hospitals, treating them for whatever they were in hospital for and ensuring they were virus free before sending them onto care homes. 

I don't know what percentage of total covid deaths care homes make up now, but it did used to be pretty high.  In hindsight, we would have been much better off focussing money on ensuring care homes and staff had adequate protections, training and hygiene.

What we did to care homes was inhumane and unforgiveable.

I hope they reveal the tier system today like the cup draw. “Ball number 15” Derbyshire.....will be in “Tier 2” then a big ohhhhh from the crowd gathered to watch at the BBC studio.  

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Here's hoping for a tier 2 decision so that pubs and restaurants are open. The towns and villages look desperately sad with them closed. 

Pubs won't be opening in tier 2. The only way they can open is as restaurants, so the only way people can buy alcohol is by buying a substantial meal. 

This is the first time I feel totally destroyed. We were due to go away (in the uk) on the 5th December, now although the accomodation will be open we cant go as in Tier 3.

Its only the 4th holiday i have lost now because of this. What a ducking year, totally ducking stressed because we had people on furlough meaning extra work, then was put at risk of redundancy (survied) but under more pressure at work because we lost people in our team. Need a ducking break more than anything right now...

I then feel bad because people are in worse positions than me, but not going to be too proud to admit actually had a few tears over this...

duck it....

Archived