Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Government guidance for business, including safety protocols to be released tomorrow or Wednesday.

That'll be precisely as farcical as everything else they have - or haven't - done.

1 hour ago, TramRam said:

Lifting a lockdown does/could have negative effects...Germany.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52604676

Similar article on Sky;

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-germany-infection-rate-rises-just-days-after-lockdown-eased-11986167

Ultimately you can have the best testing/social distancing in the world but sooner or later we are going to have to go back to work and if there's no vaccine you'll either have a spike now (countries that adopted more of a herd immunity approach) or a steady flow over a longer period (countries that strictly enforced a lockdown).  Its either that or cripple your country financially by keeping it closed for months and months ?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Government guidance for business, including safety protocols to be released tomorrow or Wednesday.

Probably prudent to have started people back to work next week then to see if these possible solutions are viable, and to give employers a chance to set out these solutions to staff prior to them arriving at work.  A lot of the jobs previously in Derby are in Nottingham now, particularly government jobs which is an issue for travelling .  How can people go back to work before the employer has safety protocol advice. I'm confused. Unless a mistake was made telling people to go back to work today .

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Mrs R, who works for a house builder, has been informed she'll be returning to work on 21st with, hopefully strict, measures in place.

21 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Probably prudent to have started people back to work next week then to see if these possible solutions are viable, and to give employers a chance to set out these solutions to staff prior to them arriving at work.  A lot of the jobs previously in Derby are in Nottingham now, particularly government jobs which is an issue for travelling .  How can people go back to work before the employer has safety protocol advice. I'm confused. Unless a mistake was made telling people to go back to work today .

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule that everyone must return to work this week. Surely, anyone with an ounce of common sense is going to contact their employer first and, I'd like to think, employers are comfortable with their social distancing arrangements before getting people back in.

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Said this to the wife earlier. I don't actually understand how they are coming up with the 0.5-0.9 figure as hardly anyone's been tested. Is it like one of these shampoo adverts where they randomly test a few hundred people on how they rate the product in the hope they get an answer they want .

That's the problem you are always up against when you compare small numbers with big numbers: a few thousand new infections within a population of 60 million. You could measure the prevalence of Covid 19 among Forest fans and extrpolate the result for the whole nation, and you would find that only Forest fans are affected and we Derby fans are immune.

You can use statistical modelling to correct for fallacies like that, but these models are only as good as the data on which they are based. Some very useful data is available on previous outbreaks of the SARS and MERS coronaviruses in South Asia and the Middle East. There is lots of data on things like malaria and tuberculosis, but they are not very useful for modelling the current situation.

The quality of the available data will gradually get better as the pandemic continues, but I am pleased that we are still not yet comparing big numbers with other big numbers. The reproduction rate is still the best indicator available, but it is bound to fluctuate widely until the quality of the data improves (and more people get infected). Early days yet.

18 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule that everyone must return to work this week. Surely, anyone with an ounce of common sense is going to contact their employer first and, I'd like to think, employers are comfortable with their social distancing arrangements before getting people back in.

I think the highlighted section is where your argument fails - the folk making the most noise about the latest guidelines have a distinct lack of common sense (or else are choosing to be deliberately dim (for political reasons) when interpreting the approach being suggested).

47 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Speaking to Sky News on Monday morning, the Foreign Secretary said that the first lockdown changes - including certain sectors returning to work - will start from Wednesday while businesses in the hospitality sector will open "from July 4 at the very earliest".

perhaps he did get the day wrong then .  Why were people in construction and manufacturing particularly, and anyone who couldn't work from home told to start going back to work Monday .  This isn't requesting a response from yourself by the way.  It's a generic point showing how confusion is endemic .

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

How can someone go back to work before their employer tells them to go back? I find it hard to believe  someone genuinely thinks their employer expected them to be in at work this morning without any form of communication between employer and employee.

Presumably them people that live in Derby but work in Nottingham will travel how they did before lockdown - mostly by car with the odd few using public transport. There may be a reduced service but I'm sure most employers will understand that so your working hours may shift forwards or back by an hour.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Its not up to the Government to tell people when to go back to work, that will be up to the individual employer. I'm assuming most of them will have the common sense not to order employees back to work until the correct measures are in place.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Its not up to the Government to tell people when to go back to work, that will be up to the individual employer. I'm assuming most of them will have the common sense not to order employees back to work until the correct measures are in place.

A lot of assuming there. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

How can someone go back to work before their employer tells them to go back? I find it hard to believe  someone genuinely thinks their employer expected them to be in at work this morning without any form of communication between employer and employee.

Presumably them people that live in Derby but work in Nottingham will travel how they did before lockdown - mostly by car with the odd few using public transport. There may be a reduced service but I'm sure most employers will understand that so your working hours may shift forwards or back by an hour.

Most people in Derby who travel to Nottingham go by public transport . They get the tram system from Bardills or the red arrow . From Burton the train.  There is very limited parking in Nottingham .

24 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The national press should be embarrased. They framed this week as some sort of grand liberation on the scale of when the Allies liberated Paris from Nazi Germany in WW2 and it was never in a million years going to be that.

We all deserve a better standard of journalism.

Made themselves look very silly.

Jumped the gun and started publishing information that had not been confirmed by the Government. 

Today have reverted to blaming the Government for mixed messages and no clarity.

Unfortunately people fall for the rubbish that they put out.

30 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Speaking to Sky News on Monday morning, the Foreign Secretary said that the first lockdown changes - including certain sectors returning to work - will start from Wednesday while businesses in the hospitality sector will open "from July 4 at the very earliest".

perhaps he did get the day wrong then .  Why were people in construction and manufacturing particularly, and anyone who couldn't work from home told to start going back to work Monday .  This isn't requesting a response from yourself by the way.  It's a generic point showing how confusion is endemic .

My previous response is still valid though. I’m not sure anyone is being TOLD to work Monday (or Wednesday). I’m pretty sure he said actively encouraged to go back to work (that’s what Boris said anyway) and, as I say, surely no one is just going to turn up at work, without contacting their employer first, based on a Sky News interview or a ministerial statement that specifically said more details would follow.

This is all getting beyond stupid now. Germany looking likely to reverse their easing of lockdown, due to a second wave. How stupid are our leaders? There are two options, as many healthy people contract the virus sooner rather than later..or we wait a year or so for a vaccine. 

We can't keep popping in and out of lockdown another half dozen times. Governments have had time to plan for protecting the most vunerable now. While the rest of us get the virus. 

It's beyond pathetic that they are running scared from the media. Show some leadership. 

Archived