Coronavirus

1of4

I've just seen a news clip from the USA, of a deranged woman hanging out of her truck screaming abuse at a nurse. It appears some Americans have a very different view of their health service workers than we do.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I've just seen a news clip from the USA, of a deranged woman hanging out of her truck screaming abuse at a nurse. It appears some Americans have a very different view of their health service workers than we do.

Go into any A&E on a weekend and you might see there’s not too much difference 

Heard a fascinating interview with a Harvard associate professor in epidemiology  called Bill Hanage tonight.

He said that for coronavirus to be the same as flu, literally every single person in New York would have had to have caught it to have had such a high death toll. 

Kinda puts things into perspective when comparing the two. 

9 hours ago, ramit said:

With new cases having fallen dramatically to about 7-12 a day it has been decided that playschools and primary schools will return to normal levels from May 4 onward.  Keeping 2 meter distance for the pupils will not be possible, but we have been told it is safe because kids under 12 rarely catch the virus and even more rarely infect adults.  The obvious problem with this rationale is that teens up to 16 year old are in those schools, our son is 15.

One smart decision has been made though, all passengers arriving in the country will be quarantined for 14 days, including tourists.  That should have been the rule from the start, but better late than never.

Way too many people are now behaving as if this crisis is over, the danger passed.  i worry that we might get a second wave.

Probably the right thing to do but that will almost shut down your tourist industry for the time being won’t it which seemed to be one of your governments main concerns? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52362099

How do the BBC get away with reporting stories like this?

"This is the furthest a senior government adviser has gone in admitting there may be a link between Liverpool's match against Athletico Madrid and the coronavirus outbreak that the city has since suffered."

No, the Government adviser said something along the lines of it is an interesting suggestion when questioned on it.

And what major out break is this exactly?

Having checked the figures, the number of confirmed cases in Liverpool seems reasonably consistent with cities of the same size.

How many of the fans attending that night actually live in Liverpool? 

How many of the Madrid fans that attended that night had coronavirus? 

How many of them got within 2 metres of Liverpool fans?

Terrible stats for week ending 10/4

18,500 died which is 8000 above the norm

follows 16400 for the previous week which was 6000 above the norm.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

"This is the furthest a senior government adviser has gone in admitting there may be a link between Liverpool's match against Athletico Madrid and the coronavirus outbreak that the city has since suffered."

No, the Government adviser said something along the lines of it is an interesting suggestion when questioned on it.

Having checked the figures, the number of confirmed cases in Liverpool seems reasonably consistent with cities of the same size.

In the press conference yesterday, someone from the Liverpool Echo asked if the game should have gone ahead. As per my earlier post, surely these questions and answers sessions should be about the present and the future not about something that happened six weeks ago. There should be time for an inquest later.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think it's common knowledge (or maybe just an old wive's tale) that on the political spectrum, I sit somewhere to the left of Joseph Stalin, but even I'm embarrassed by some of the BBC reporting of the crisis. It does seem agenda-laden but to what end I'm not sure as it will only really serve to alienate everybody, rather than pleasing any one group. 

I've long been of the opinion that unless the Beeb can be brought to heel, they've rather served their purpose. Being funded from the public purse, yet still being unable to provide objective, balanced and informative reporting is inexcusable IMO. The only consistency I can see is bias, sometimes to the left, as often the other way around. What I don't see is any objectivity.

11 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I guess we can’t judge Americans by the actions of one idiot. I’d like to think the vast majority of Americans would be just as disgusted as we are.

Sadly, there are morons in all societies and cultures.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

In the press conference yesterday, someone from the Liverpool Echo asked if the game should have gone ahead. As per my earlier post, surely these questions and answers sessions should be about the present and the future not about something that happened six weeks ago. There should be time for an inquest later.

Possibly. But say a friend/family Member had gone to the game and died, you might be angry/sad enough to want answers now?

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Possibly. But say a friend/family Member had gone to the game and died, you might be angry/sad enough to want answers now?

I agree and very sad but, I don’t think the daily news conference is the right time or place. Besides which, what answer would they get in this forum? The “best” they could hope for is something like “with hindsight it may not have been the wisest thing to do blah blah blah” after all, it was the chancellor of the exchequer fielding the question not whoever authorised the game. 

13 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

spacer.png

You may have to explain it in more detail. Not sure everyone's firing on all cylinders at the moment.

I'm guessing that's a pun and not necessarily a request for a more detailed explanation, but as I'm a total dipstick

US Oil markets trade on futures, so they buy oil options in advance at a lower price, and sell them later at a future price (which they bank on being much higher - and they usually are) without actually having to take delivery of the oil. Short selling in other words. One of those things that when you think about it, is a total scam and people make billions without any real skill involved. A shame that they weren't skilled enough to spot that Coronavirus would lockdown half the planet and demand for oil would drop massively. So they are sat on commitments to buy oil that no one wants right now. So they lower the sell price to try and get rid of it, but that just starts a race to the bottom as everyone rushes to have the cheapest sale price. Eventually the price reaches zero, but the demand is still not there and they end up having to take delivery of the oil they never intended to have to store. And they have to store it somewhere, which means they have to pay for storage - which means it's cheaper to pay others to take the oil off them, than it is to pay for storage of it all (hence negative prices)

This is exactly what bankrupts the Dukes in Trading Places, except it's via false information. They are told that the orange crop has failed, so orange juice prices will go up massively, They buy all the orange juice futures with the plan to sell it all at a massive profit, Except it was a ruse and the orange crop is fine. They go bankrupt. A morality tale about greed

11 hours ago, 1of4 said:

fef82ea3-3847-45f2-9294-0788cad327d0.jpg

10 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Of course that is a natural reaction but nothing will change the past. The South West is the least affected area of the country despite 300,000 people going to Cheltenham. Did it help - probably in hindsight but had we shut down earlier, how many more mental health issues or suicides will we see if the lockdown was for months on end.

There simply is no right or wrong answer to all of this. The first question last night about being asked if the Government are 'Ashamed' is a shocking question to answer. They answer Yes and they get ridiculed and they answer No and they get ridiculed. The journalist is just simply baiting. 

The fact none of the MP's/advisers have bitten against any of these questions yet is a huge testament to their integrity and ability.

4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I think it's common knowledge (or maybe just an old wive's tale) that on the political spectrum, I sit somewhere to the left of Joseph Stalin, but even I'm embarrassed by some of the BBC reporting of the crisis. It does seem agenda-laden but to what end I'm not sure as it will only really serve to alienate everybody, rather than pleasing any one group. 

I've long been of the opinion that unless the Beeb can be brought to heel, they've rather served their purpose. Being funded from the public purse, yet still being unable to provide objective, balanced and informative reporting is inexcusable IMO. The only consistency I can see is bias, sometimes to the left, as often the other way around. What I don't see is any objectivity.

I've come to the conclusion that actually there is no/minimal concious institutionalised bias in the Beeb - it's simply that the 'correspondents' all have 'look at me' attitude and that the editorial control is so weak/lacking that they are allowed to set their own agenda. The drive is no longer to accurately report on the news, but instead to be the person at the center of the story - ultimately they want to be the one who creates the story and causes the minister to resign.

Look at Kuenssberg who is probably the worst example (now that Peston (who I'd lay the blame for starting this approach) has moved over to ITV) - frequently attacked by the Left for bias against Corbyn, yet she's equally keen to attack the current government if she thinks she can be the trigger for a major story. She would no doubt claim that this shows her lack of bias and that she offers a balanced approach, but it's been clear for years that her only guiding principal is to put herself fair and square at the centre of any possible story - whoever may be the target. Again there may be an argument to say that she's just doing her job, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the public  (certainly during this crisis) just want a straightforward report on what's happening and intelligent questioning when things have gone wrong - not the desparate search for angles to launch attacks by asking inane questions that there are currently no answers to......

7 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I've come to the conclusion that actually there is no/minimal concious institutionalised bias in the Beeb - it's simply that the 'correspondents' all have 'look at me' attitude and that the editorial control is so weak/lacking that they are allowed to set their own agenda. The drive is no longer to accurately report on the news, but instead to be the person at the center of the story - ultimately they want to be the one who creates the story and causes the minister to resign.

Look at Kuenssberg who is probably the worst example (now that Peston (who I'd lay the blame for starting this approach) has moved over to ITV) - frequently attacked by the Left for bias against Corbyn, yet she's equally keen to attack the current government if she thinks she can be the trigger for a major story. She would no doubt claim that this shows her lack of bias and that she offers a balanced approach, but it's been clear for years that her only guiding principal is to put herself fair and square at the centre of any possible story - whoever may be the target. Again there may be an argument to say that she's just doing her job, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the public  (certainly during this crisis) just want a straightforward report on what's happening and intelligent questioning when things have gone wrong - not the desparate search for angles to launch attacks by asking inane questions that there are currently no answers to......

That's actually a pretty compelling argument ?

33 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Isn't that just journalism though? Why should the BBC wait for the dead tree press to break all the stories? If they have a lead, why not go for it?

Archived