Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I think this thread should be for discussing the illness,  the challenges we are facing,  the things we are doing to make our lives better during the crisis,  maybe even some light hearted humour to help us through it. 

it keeps getting hijacked for political point scoring,  there is apparently a rule on the forum that politics shouldn't be allowed at all, but a thread was allowed where all political posts should go.

if this thread is going to be allowed by the moderators to be overrun by political posts they should just merge them.

just my opinion. 

The politics thread is overrun by virus posts and understandably so, this is the single biggest global issue of our times.  We can try and steer clear of politics in this thread, but do that too much and the thread becomes sterile.  How governments and WHO are handling the crisis needs discussing for instance, the different methods applied fighting a still mysterious virus.  The moderator job for this thread is not an easy one, but i think it's being handled well.

2 minutes ago, ramit said:

The politics thread is overrun by virus posts and understandably so, this is the single biggest global issue of our times.  We can try and steer clear of politics in this thread, but do that too much and the thread becomes sterile.  How governments and WHO are handling the crisis needs discussing for instance, the different methods applied fighting a still mysterious virus.  The moderator job for this thread is not an easy one, but i think it's being handled well.

Whilst I agree it's difficult for the mods in this instance, it is possible for anyone wishing to add political comments/responses to a post to copy and paste from here, and take it into the politics thread.  That includes quoting anyone else's post(s) from here, so it's easy to keep track of things in the politics thread, and clear what you are responding too.

Under the forum rules, this thread should ideally remain non-political... I for one find myself scrolling more and more past politically motivated posts on here, but maybe that's just me? 
Like you say, it ain't easy in this particular case.

Sith Happens
10 minutes ago, ramit said:

Agree there can be an overlap, however some are clearly nothing but point scoring, for example what the relevance of Johnson being sacked from his Job at the times has to do with this thread other than cheap point scoring i dont know.

21 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Agree there can be an overlap, however some are clearly nothing but point scoring, for example what the relevance of Johnson being sacked from his Job at the times has to do with this thread other than cheap point scoring i dont know.

Johnson has been sacked? If it's because of Coronavirus then it's ok to post that here. If it's for any of all the other things it could be, please move this post into the politics thread @Paul71!!

My state has finally had a zero new cases day today after a week of 3-5 new cases per day (pop 5.1 million). They are still saying it will be at least September before they will look at reopening clubs and pubs and international travel not restarting till early 2021 if things keep going as well as it is at the moment.

41 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Whilst I agree it's difficult for the mods in this instance, it is possible for anyone wishing to add political comments/responses to a post to copy and paste from here, and take it into the politics thread.  That includes quoting anyone else's post(s) from here, so it's easy to keep track of things in the politics thread, and clear what you are responding too.

Under the forum rules, this thread should ideally remain non-political... I for one find myself scrolling more and more past politically motivated posts on here, but maybe that's just me? 
Like you say, it ain't easy in this particular case.

Shoot over to the Matches Suspended Thread, It's turned into a Dentists Waiting Room.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

There's about 5000 posts in this thread. Some have been hidden as they really should be in the politics thread. But the distinction - if a republican governor responds to requests to remove the lockdown, is that political or is that related to the virus? If Boris wants to extend the lockdown, or lift it, is that political or not? If there's a query about the availability of PPE, is that political or not? What about the speed of testing? About the daily briefings? About WHO guidelines? What in those subjects belongs in here and what belongs in the politics thread?

There's no clear line. This thread will get politics in it. We will try to keep it more civil than the politics thread, which is the only place polemics belong.

Sith Happens
28 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

There's about 5000 posts in this thread. Some have been hidden as they really should be in the politics thread. But the distinction - if a republican governor responds to requests to remove the lockdown, is that political or is that related to the virus? If Boris wants to extend the lockdown, or lift it, is that political or not? If there's a query about the availability of PPE, is that political or not? What about the speed of testing? About the daily briefings? About WHO guidelines? What in those subjects belongs in here and what belongs in the politics thread?

There's no clear line. This thread will get politics in it. We will try to keep it more civil than the politics thread, which is the only place polemics belong.

I already said i accept there may be some overlap. Discussing Boris Johnsons sacking from the times is very tenuous mind, unless of course Coronavirus has been around longer than we know.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Point taken - better head over there then, as all I do is talk a load of old polemics.......?

3 hours ago, ramit said:

Police forces in the UK have apparently been told they must prepare for a "more volatile and agitated society" after the country lifts its coronavirus lockdown, so I suppose that must also apply to this thread and this board. The politics thread is usually volatile and agitated enough.

11 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

How are thing going over there @Bob The Badger? Your partner works in medical profession right? Hope you are all well.

Thanks for asking, we're both healthy as far as we know.

Yeh, she's a doctor and although she's really an oncologist who has moved into general medicine, she has been co-opted to work in a respiratory clinic two days a week to help out.

It's been an utter poo show with PPE as per the UK. Plus they don't have anything like enough testing kits contrary to what Trump keeps saying every night on his briefings.

The Florida lockdown that we are still under has been nothing short of pathetic - nothing like what you guys are having to endure. Not only have I not heard of anybody been fined for being out other than to the shops, work or exercising, I'm not even sure the Police can fine.

But more interestingly I've barely seen a cop, when normally I'd see one or two just driving to the Supermarket as their station is between the two. I suspect they're all hunkered down eating donuts.

Other than some stores being closed if I was driving around I'd never know anything was any different. Maybe slightly less traffic, but no less than during a school holiday.

Can somebody explain something I'm confused about.

I have read and watched a LOT about this including countless interviews with medical experts across every spectrum.

And being married to a doctor who is now working with Covid patients twice per week we talk about it a lot too.

The only place I hear herd immunity mentioned is here.

Everything I have read and heard says that they simply don't know whether immunity even works yet.

And that even is it does it could be like the flu and only last for 3, 6 or 9 months.

So how could we be aiming for herd immunity when immunity itself may not even exist?

7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I have read and watched a LOT about this including countless interviews with medical experts across every spectrum.

And being married to a doctor who is now working with Covid patients twice per week we talk about it a lot too.

Everything I have read and heard says that they simply don't know whether immunity even works yet.

And that even is it does it could be like the flu and only last for 3, 6 or 9 months.

So how could we be aiming for herd immunity when immunity itself may not even exist?

I would like to give you an answer, but something something politics dheads something.

39 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Unfortunately, as is always the case, the media have their go to people, who in fact, more often than not are not experts at all and don't even deserve to polish the shoes of the experts. The experts are not on TV being interviewed, trying to raise their profiles. They are trawling through the data and studies, conducting their own, quietly in the background. They do not publicly publish their data and studies until they are peer reviewed and in cases like this, for reasons of national security, are prevented from publishing for a select period of time. 

Most importantly, they don't want to go on National TV and be shouted down by the likes of Buffoons such as Piers Morgan. 

Over the coming weeks you will see more and more of these studies make into the realms of public through social media and the national media. But they are footnotes almost in terms of their prominence compared to all other articles. 

I initially thought this was going to be catastrophic based on the data that was being published. But we now have more accurate figures. Unfortunately the media backed the government (not only in this country) into a corner. They were not going to stop until we had a lock-down and the government were A. worried about if they had enough capacity in place in time and B. the media's narrative would lead to civil unrest. As ultimately this lock-down is being governed by consent. 

To be clear, i'm not interested in point scoring with other users. As I say, I have been wrong on this and followed the data and statistics as much as possible. I genuinely thought based on the modelling I had seen, we we're heading for hundreds of thousands, potentially even millions of deaths in this country. But those models were based on what now turns out to be, bad data. 

Archived