EFL charge Derby over ffp

alexxxxx

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

QPR received a £42 million fine when they came back down. Villa are in danger of breaching the Prem FFP rules never mind the CHampionship rules. For all you know the EFL will be going after Villa in the same way they did to QPR if they come back down. Birmingham were deducted points. Dozens of teams have received transfer bans. Leicester and Bournemouth received meaningless fines, but in Bournemouths case they have until this point never been back in the EFL.

And regarding Vilal we did try and spend our way out of the league and it didn't work. Last season was the last throw of the dice for both clubs. WHoever didn't go up was very likely going to have major FFP problems. We spent less in total because we didnt have parachute payments, but we still spent well aboveo ur means to try and get out of this league.

We've got Pearson on the EFL board. You'd think he'd be able to put a good word in for us.

Why would anyone be worried on the information we currently have? All the cards are currently stacked in our favour as far as we know. Unless any further info comes to light I can't see what their is to be worried about regarding this EFL statement specifically.

Does the £70mill include land costs? They will be astronomical in London compared to Derby.

Ok,  but you only respond to half my post. Many clubs have fallen by these rules but who do they benefit?? Us? Sheff wef? QPR? Bury? 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Clubs go forwards, clubs go backwards.  It’s football.  Ups and downs are part of being a supporter.  

Going backwards because of trying to bend the card too much..... it’s now just broke.

Not going to say much more......

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I agree. But we haven't actually done anything wrong yet have we?

The EFL had no problem with our actions. Just the price of our actions. Which in this case is the sale of a stadium. Why is their value any closer to the real value than the independent value? 

BBC says we had the stadium down on the accounts as an asset worth 41m. The EFL valuation is much closer to that than our valuation. I guess the point is how on Earth we managed to sell it for almost double what we’ve previously valued it at, as an asset. Now obviously the value as an asset is different to a value that you would sell it for, but it does bring our valuation into a bit of disrepute for me. The more I look into this, the more I think the EFL has a case here. It’s a difficult one, because I can see how a stadium would be worth 80m looking at the fees teams are paying to build new ones these days. But I do think the EFL has a legitimate case here.

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Unconfirmed sources suggest that reports that the charge relates to the sale of the stadium are wide of the mark.

It is suggested the amount Derby exceeded the 39 million allowed is a mere 100 pounds. 

During a recent audit by the efl an invoice was discovered in mels top drawer for 120 pounds relating to the cost of breakfasts purchased for unknown members of a local internet forum.

Sausage kept repeating on mi mi owd

27 minutes ago, Gut_Reaction said:

Cheating, if proven / found guilty is cheating whichever way you look at it. I follow the rugby too and Saracens were heavily fined and big points deduction but probably not enough to relegate them considering the quality of their squad. 

Personally believe cheats should not only not prosper but should be severely punished. Birmingham should be relegated at the end of the season as should any others found guilty. Including Villa if they are relegated at the end of the season straight down to League 1. Bournemouth too if they come down. If that means more than three clubs are relegated from the Championship then so be it. 

Why should a club such as Bristol City sell their best players to stay within the Rules whilst others cheat? 

All well and good but we have not broken any rules.

Also we sold our best player 3 seasons running.

3 ways out

1) Fight the case that the stadium was sold at a fair price and that the EFL know as much about property values as they know about punishing teams like...

2)QPR. Let's spend like QPR. It's January and if we break the rules so spectacularly then it will leave them baffled. Again. So buy Rooney some teammates with very greedy agents. The best man to help us QPR our way out is of course..

3)Harry Redknapp. Get him in as chief scout and financial advisor. His dog makes a million pound per year and he got Yakubu a British Passport when we couldn't even get him a Visa. I saw the passport too. It said Yakubu Ayegbeni but the picture was Paul Merson. 

This is easy to get out of. Tell the EFL to have an apology on our desk by Monday and we might just forget the whole thing. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

BBC says we had the stadium down on the accounts as an asset worth 41m. The EFL valuation is much closer to that than our valuation. I guess the point is how on Earth we managed to sell it for almost double what we’ve previously valued it at, as an asset. Now obviously the value as an asset is different to a value that you would sell it for, but it does bring our valuation into a bit of disrepute for me. The more I look into this, the more I think the EFL has a case here. It’s a difficult one, because I can see how a stadium would be worth 80m looking at the fees teams are paying to build new ones these days. But I do think the EFL has a legitimate case here.

Based on what exactly?

2 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

Worst case scenario: Points deduction and transfer ban, we’re thrown into a relegation battle with the current squad we have. Find ourselves potentially in league one with no new investment. 

Best case: we get off with just a small fine considering the fact that the EFL signed off the stadium sale (which I’m assuming this is in relation to). Mel Morris’ financial sh*thousery prevails once more, and the collective average blood pressure of adult males in the cities of Nottingham and Leeds sky rockets. 

I’d have thought the actual outcome will be somewhere in the middle of that. Regardless, it could be a huge turning point for Mel Morris and his favourability amongst us fans. I don’t like the future of the club being gambled with in this way, and most of all people really don’t like being lied to. 

Are people really this naive? What did you expect Mel Morris to say?- there’s a risk with what we’ve done regards the stadium but we think we’ll be ok.
There are far too many knee jerk reactions on here. There’s a long way to go on this one yet

1 minute ago, Arsene Titman said:

Are people really this naive? What did you expect Mel Morris to say?- there’s a risk with what we’ve done regards the stadium but we think we’ll be ok.
There are far too many knee jerk reactions on here. There’s a long way to go on this one yet

FWIW at a forum in January (I think) MM/Pearce said it was really touch and go with regards to FFP, this was prior to the stadium sale being announced.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I don't know how it all works tbh

I know my car has an estimated value with my insurance company but nothing stops me selling it for much more? 

But then I don't have to comply with the EFL. I'm kind of like QPR innit

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

3 ways out

1) Fight the case that the stadium was sold at a fair price and that the EFL know as much about property values as they know about punishing teams like...

2)QPR. Let's spend like QPR. It's January and if we break the rules so spectacularly then it will leave them baffled. Again. So buy Rooney some teammates with very greedy agents. The best man to help us QPR our way out is of course..

3)Harry Redknapp. Get him in as chief scout and financial advisor. His dog makes a million pound per year and he got Yakubu a British Passport when we couldn't even get him a Visa. I saw the passport too. It said Yakubu Ayegbeni but the picture was Paul Merson. 

This is easy to get out of. Tell the EFL to have an apology on our desk by Monday and we might just forget the whole thing. 

I actually genuinely love the idea of just spending a ridiculous amount of money in January and clearly breaking all FFP rules. poo or bust!

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t disagree that he cares. I’m sure his heart is in the right place, don’t get me wrong. I just think he’s terrible at running a football club, or has at least employed people who are terrible at running a football club to do it for him. 

Stephen Pearce you mean?

Asleep at the financial wheel while Sam Rush was supposedly running amok, not noticing the so called breaches of Fiduciary duties that saw Sam eventually depart without a stain on his character, despite Mel saying he couldn't wait to see him in court, and his then job as CFO meaning he should be across the details of player contracts, financial outgoings etc?

The fella who once promoted to CEO, rocked up supping a beer at multiple fan forums (what happened to those btw?), assuring us that everythings tickety boo when it comes to money?

Tight, but in his expert fiddely hands what could go wrong?

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

So there was a 'hidden reserve' in the property of £40m. It is NOT unusual to have 'hidden reserves' in assets in a balance sheet. I have not looked back but I think the £41m valuation had been in the Accounts for 4 or 5 years so the valuation may well have increased during that time. By £40m ? Yes seems a lot but we do not know on what basis that figure was arrived at ie with development / roof etc for gigs. 

Also even if the valuation should have been £50m then even at that figure we are within FFP.

So does the charge relate  to something other than the Stadium ?

Lastly the Stadium was an asset of the Company just like the players so surely the Company should be able to sell what assets it likes?

Just hope Mel actually handed over the full £80m valuation on transfer.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Now obviously the value as an asset is different to a value that you would sell it for, but it does bring our valuation into a bit of disrepute for me. The more I look into this, the more I think the EFL has a case here.

Tough poo, they knew all this before they signed it off the first time round.  Why do you think they have any grounds to go back on their word after already fully authorising and condoning our chosen actions? 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't know how it all works tbh

I know my car has an estimated value with my insurance company but nothing stops me selling it for much more? 

But then I don't have to comply with the EFL. I'm kind of like QPR innit

You're a modern day les ferdinand ?

13 minutes ago, Gut_Reaction said:

Cheating, if proven / found guilty is cheating whichever way you look at it. I follow the rugby too and Saracens were heavily fined and big points deduction but probably not enough to relegate them considering the quality of their squad. 

Personally believe cheats should not only not prosper but should be severely punished. Birmingham should be relegated at the end of the season as should any others found guilty. Including Villa if they are relegated at the end of the season straight down to League 1. Bournemouth too if they come down. If that means more than three clubs are relegated from the Championship then so be it. 

Why should a club such as Bristol City sell their best players to stay within the Rules whilst others cheat? 

Yawn......

As most have said already, innocent until proven guilty. Let's face it, Bristol City are doing well to be a Championship club, we all know Rovers are the big club in Bristol.

Your last paragraph is amusing if thats leveled as a criticism against Derby... Do your research. Look who we've sold over the past few seasons to generate funds.

The systems rigged and crooked from top to bottom. Mel played within the rules, presented the EFL with what he was doing before he actioned it. This is a retrospective action, which if applied should have a lot of other clubs worried due to other very dubious financial activities employed to rig the system in their favour. Hope they go after the club's with sister clubs next for dodgy over inflated transfers...... It's the same principle if we are being accused of inflatimg the value of the stadium. Casing point though, it was valued independently and that valuation was presented to the EFL well before any of this with no concerns raised.

You want a level fair playing field? Get rid of the parachute payments. Let the club's be financially independent of these droconian measures. Other mechanisms can be employed to safe guard clubs assets from unscrupulous owners.

It's ok to be bankrolled by dodgy sheikh billionaires, dodgy russian oligarchs, dodgy Greek shipping magnets etc etc though...... That's just fine.

It's all complete horse $h1t!

Archived