Mackay - Rooney

StockholmRam

18 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

Let’s try and be positive eh. Rooney could, just could, get this season going and bring some much-needed entertainment. It’s unlikely he, nor anyone else, would ever have as much impact as Mackay as that’s clearly a very tall order so not to Rooney’s detriment either. 

I think we've turned the corner and hopefully it is indeed all positive from hereon. Rooney is setting the bar higher and under his critical gaze i think the others will up their game. There is so much to be excited about with the emergence of knight, bird and sibley and rooney pulling the strings. It looks like he'll be a big help to cocu. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether Rooney goes on to have the same or similar effect as Dave Mackay remains to be seen. You cant compare players from different eras, or at least I dont think you can. It just struck me as uncanny the similaties in firstly the reason the club brings the experienced player in, plus the change from regular position to utilize them in the team, making both captain to lead straight away and bring on a bunch of younger players. The similarity on club league position and being out of the top flight not lost on me either. 

Both players arriving with huge stature and respect in the game and a real aura to them.  Ive no wish to say who was the better player. Only to enjoy what once was and pray with all my illogical football brain and heart that sonething else amazing is about to happen. Please. 

On 05/01/2020 at 23:35, Ambitious said:

Dave Mackay is obviously a Derby legend and did unthinkable things in a Rams top, but it's not like he was the top international player of his time before joining Derby. He struggled to hold down a place in the Scotland team (only 22 caps) and never played for them during his time here. I guess he may have retired from the International game, not sure, but it's strange for such an iconic player. I'm far too young to remember, but just seems strange looking back. Jesse Lingard has more caps for England than Dave Mackay does for Scotland. 

Rooney is quite possibly the best player this country has ever seen, in terms of records and accolades it strongly indicates he may well be. 

Tells you everything you need to know how easy it was to get capped by England! I agree with some of what you say but I doubt that fans will look back in 50 years time time and talk about Lingard with the same amount of enthusiasm as Mackay.

24 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

The first bit is rubbish. Absolute rubbish. The second bit is probably true

I suppose that depends on what your perception is of Daves actual achievements at Derby. If its helping get the team promoted and helping to improve the players around him only then I would say Rooney has a chance of this. 

However, if your view is that DM was the catalyst for the success that Brian Clough had following then that is highly highly unlikely. As is managing us to the league championship. 

But, where are any of us without dreams.

1 hour ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Tells you everything you need to know how easy it was to get capped by England! I agree with some of what you say but I doubt that fans will look back in 50 years time time and talk about Lingard with the same amount of enthusiasm as Mackay.

I agree, caos can be a complicated way of measuring things.

Neither Roy Mac nor Toddy got passed 28 caps for England, yet Norman Hunter and Trevor Cherry both hit that mark and weren't in the same league as those two.

And after Todd, the best Derby player I have ever seen was Charlie and he got I think 1 cap and King Kev got 2 iirc.

There are way more internationals these days, plus teams use way more subs so getting to 50 caps aint what it used to be.

OTOH, look at Shilts, he spent (unfairly imho) years sharing the role with Ray Clemence and still got to 125 caps.

Really don't get the compulsion to compare plates from different eras. Don't doubt Mackay was a super player and talismanic for Derby but the dismissing Rooney seems pretty silly to me. Rooney was by far the best English player of his generation and should at very least command the same respect as Mackay.

Will Wayne match Dave's achievements at Derby? Well, the football world has changed somewhat and the days where more than a handful of clubs had any chance of winning in the top flight seem long gone now so that bar is set very high and comparing then and now seems to me to be an apples and pears scenario. That said, I'd not be remotely surprised to see Wayne drag us by our bootstraps out of this division. He and Cocu seema really good fit and I'm more than hopeful as things stand.

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Really don't get the compulsion to compare plates from different eras. Don't doubt Mackay was a super player and talismanic for Derby but the dismissing Rooney seems pretty silly to me. Rooney was by far the best English player of his generation and should at very least command the same respect as Mackay.

Will Wayne match Dave's achievements at Derby? Well, the football world has changed somewhat and the days where more than a handful of clubs had any chance of winning in the top flight seem long gone now so that bar is set very high and comparing then and now seems to me to be an apples and pears scenario. That said, I'd not be remotely surprised to see Wayne drag us by our bootstraps out of this division. He and Cocu seema really good fit and I'm more than hopeful as things stand.

Come on, have a go, you might like it. Here's two to get started

plate 1.jpg

plate 2.jpg

57 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I like the nom-nom one best ?

*damn you autocorrect

1 hour ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Come on, have a go, you might like it. Here's two to get started

plate 1.jpg

plate 2.jpg

Are you mental?!! You absolute £&!%ing %@£$%^%holing *&£$%plug! How on earth can you compare a circular food holding platform from one era to another? There's ABSOLUTELY no way the white one could ever do what the other one did because... well.... because... food is different now! It's bigger.... and.... and.... heavier and more.... food-like. In the olden days it was just gruel and cabbage. 

Or something. ?

30 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

Are you mental?!! You absolute £&!%ing %@£$%^%holing *&£$%plug! How on earth can you compare a circular food holding platform from one era to another? There's ABSOLUTELY no way the white one could ever do what the other one did because... well.... because... food is different now! It's bigger.... and.... and.... heavier and more.... food-like. In the olden days it was just gruel and cabbage. 

Or something. ?

Yeah but in the olden days you knew where you stood. The older one would have been washed by hand and some form of soap. 

Nowdays the modern washing systems break down too easily, cost a fortune, look fancy and are far too often sheet and unreliable no matter what you paid for them. 

Impossible to compare, best game I saw MacKay play was Newcastle away, 13th September 1969 they’d just won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup ( just google it) 20 yard special from Roy McFarland, won 1-0 and my team Derby County were top of the league.

The Newcastle fans weren’t very happy, the Trent bus Football Special seemed to have lost a few windows in the local car park, anyway, got back eventually 

MacKays final match was a 2-0 win over West Bromwich Albion, 01 May 1971

Oh yes the team, Boulton Todd MacKay McFarland Robson Durban Gemmill McGovern Hinton Hector O’Hare

Everyone a club legend............................wasn’t I the lucky one!

Loving this thread and the optimism.

It could happen, well maybe not the whole league Champions and Wayne coming back as manager and doing it again, but promotion, some flair football with a young team and who knows, dare to dream.

Right now though .. I really want to see us get something at Boro

Get a point and we are clearly on the road to recovery, win it and we'll have all 4 wheels gripping it and can hit the loud pedal to aim for the play offs. 

14 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Yeah but in the olden days you knew where you stood. The older one would have been washed by hand and some form of soap. 

Nowdays the modern washing systems break down too easily, cost a fortune, look fancy and are far too often sheet and unreliable no matter what you paid for them. 

The modern dishwasher runs into the corner of the kitchen to do a little dance when its finished anorl.

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Impossible to compare, best game I saw MacKay play was Newcastle away, 13th September 1969 they’d just won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup ( just google it) 20 yard special from Roy McFarland, won 1-0 and my team Derby County were top of the league.

The Newcastle fans weren’t very happy, the Trent bus Football Special seemed to have lost a few windows in the local car park, anyway, got back eventually 

MacKays final match was a 2-0 win over West Bromwich Albion, 01 May 1971

Oh yes the team, Boulton Todd MacKay McFarland Robson Durban Gemmill McGovern Hinton Hector O’Hare

Everyone a club legend............................wasn’t I the lucky one!

Great post but I wish you would write Mackay instead of MacKay lol

Just saying like! ?

Archived