Mackay - Rooney

StockholmRam

The story is legend. Clough and Taylor bring a sensational but older talent to the club at a time where numerous young diamonds need nurturing, cajoling, teaching, yelling at and Mackay did that in spades and then some. Cloughie admitted that Dave was like having the manager out on the park. 

Its early days of course but the similarities are incredible. Even the league position and the years languishing out of the top flight of the game. 

So. I leave this here for you to comment on, or not. We can revisit this thread in 2021 ( promoted), 2024 ( premier league champions) 2025 ( Cocu resigns, Mel accepts and puts Rooney in as manager) 2027 ( premier league champions again with Rooney as manager). 

Enjoy the ride. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a valid comparison. Not sure that wayne is quite as good as Dave ??

the young players are comparable with gems like McGovern and robson

not sure we've quite got a les green, a mcfarland or a hector though. 

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I am too young to have experienced the 70s unfortunately, so, a question...

Just how good was Dave Mackay?

Unreal.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I am too young to have experienced the 70s unfortunately, so, a question...

Just how good was Dave Mackay?

As good as Rooney. Leader, captain, battler, passer, presence. Won all there was to be won in his day except the world cup. If he was English he would have won that and Bobby Moore might not have been captain. 

13 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

The story is legend. Clough and Taylor bring a sensational but older talent to the club at a time where numerous young diamonds need nurturing, cajoling, teaching, yelling at and Mackay did that in spades and then some. Cloughie admitted that Dave was like having the manager out on the park. 

Its early days of course but the similarities are incredible. Even the league position and the years languishing out of the top flight of the game. 

So. I leave this here for you to comment on, or not. We can revisit this thread in 2021 ( promoted), 2024 ( premier league champions) 2025 ( Cocu resigns, Mel accepts and puts Rooney in as manager) 2027 ( premier league champions again with Rooney as manager). 

Enjoy the ride. 

2032 is gonna be depressing 

It has been an exceptional start by Rooney! His "from the front" leadership has been outstanding. Mackay brought similar class and stature to Clough's young team. Difficult to compare legacy yet, but if this continues Rooney will no doubt become a club legend like Mackay! 

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Enjoy the ride. 

I doubt Rooney is in the same class as someone like Mackay, nor is he likely to achieve as much at DCFC unfortunately. 

Dave Mackay is obviously a Derby legend and did unthinkable things in a Rams top, but it's not like he was the top international player of his time before joining Derby. He struggled to hold down a place in the Scotland team (only 22 caps) and never played for them during his time here. I guess he may have retired from the International game, not sure, but it's strange for such an iconic player. I'm far too young to remember, but just seems strange looking back. Jesse Lingard has more caps for England than Dave Mackay does for Scotland. 

Rooney is quite possibly the best player this country has ever seen, in terms of records and accolades it strongly indicates he may well be. 

34 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Dave Mackay is obviously a Derby legend and did unthinkable things in a Rams top, but it's not like he was the top international player of his time before joining Derby. He struggled to hold down a place in the Scotland team (only 22 caps) and never played for them during his time here. I guess he may have retired from the International game, not sure, but it's strange for such an iconic player. I'm far too young to remember, but just seems strange looking back. Jesse Lingard has more caps for England than Dave Mackay does for Scotland. 

Rooney is quite possibly the best player this country has ever seen, in terms of records and accolades it strongly indicates he may well be. 

Scotland do have a long history of not giving as many caps as they should to super players. Davie Cooper and Alan Hanson fit that quite well and its strange because even though England can be accused of the same thing, especially 70s, its not as though Scotland had the same pool numbers to select from. 

Archived