The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

9 hours ago, maxjam said:

It wasn't just her, it was the all of the Democrats.  They might not like Trump or the Republicans, but the SOTU speech is in many ways a bit like an awards ceremony or being the runner up at Wimbledon - you have to grin and clap politely else you look like a sore loser, or in this case Anti-American.

They know they've lost the next elecrion

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Please refrain from going off topic. Politics, not religion. 

If someone posts something objectionable, report it (for the good of the forum). 

If you have any concerns about moderator decisions then raise them with David rather than discuss here. 

That's hard to adhere to when no context has been given and having a look back many posts have been removed. ?

1 hour ago, Uptherams said:

That's hard to adhere to when no context has been given and having a look back many posts have been removed. ?

Stay on topic = not hard to adhere to. 

If you see something that you think needs removing, report it. 

If something is deleted before you see it, no harm done. 

If your post is deleted, and you think it unreasonable, ask David to check. 

17 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Stay on topic = not hard to adhere to. 

If you see something that you think needs removing, report it. 

If something is deleted before you see it, no harm done. 

If your post is deleted, and you think it unreasonable, ask David to check. 

How many posts have you removed? 

This week during Prime Minister's Questions, Prime Minister Johnson stated that the country's economy had risen by 73% since the Conservatives came into power in 2010.

Not being an economist, I have to assume that everyone in the country had to work damn hard to achieve this level of economic growth. The thing that's puzzling me is where all the money went, because it certainly hasn't appeared in most people's wages as reward for all that hard work.

Maybe the reason we haven't seen this increase in wages is because Johnson was lying about the level of our country's economic growth. Maybe the real level of growth is nearer to 20%. 

As I said I'm no economics expert but a 20% growth duing the economic climate of the past ten years looks quite good to me. 

But why go with the truth when you think you can continually get away with telling lies to the people of the country and to Parliament. I'm sure Johnson must know that it's considered bad form to tell porkies to the other members in of the house.

What a scamp he his.

19 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Does it matter? 

I don't tend to agree with posts being removed unless they are libel. However I think removal of the chain of comments and replies leading up to perceived posts is a fair approach. ?

But also just a bit concerned that members might intentionally lead others down the garden path so to speak or just report things because they perceive they aren't winning the argument so to speak. 

I'd rather talk about things other than ''identity politics''. 

54 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

This week during Prime Minister's Questions, Prime Minister Johnson stated that the country's economy had risen by 73% since the Conservatives came into power in 2010.

Not being an economist, I have to assume that everyone in the country had to work damn hard to achieve this level of economic growth. The thing that's puzzling me is where all the money went, because it certainly hasn't appeared in most people's wages as reward for all that hard work.

Maybe the reason we haven't seen this increase in wages is because Johnson was lying about the level of our country's economic growth. Maybe the real level of growth is nearer to 20%. 

As I said I'm no economics expert but a 20% growth duing the economic climate of the past ten years looks quite good to me. 

But why go with the truth when you think you can continually get away with telling lies to the people of the country and to Parliament. I'm sure Johnson must know that it's considered bad form to tell porkies to the other members in of the house.

What a scamp he his.

Conventionally, economic growth %ages are in real terms. So on top of any pure price inflation. 

Then of course there is the power of compounding over long-ish periods

Even so......to get to something like 73% over 10 years  you'd have to hit about 6 to 6.5% increase every year.

Now as far as I can remember, apart from maybe 2010, when the country was recovering from the credit crisis induced contraction, we've been struggling to hit 2-2.5 % GDP growth and 2-3% inflation. 

So I conclude that Boris is a preposterous, sinister charlatan who I regard as very dangerous precisely because he affects a faux buffoonery that lets him get away with this sort of nonsense. 

Even so, opinion polls suggest his government's popularity has increased since the GE. Very dispiriting for our country. 

16 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So I conclude that Boris is a preposterous, sinister charlatan who I regard as very dangerous precisely because he affects a faux buffoonery that lets him get away with this sort of nonsense. 

Even so, opinion polls suggest his government's popularity has increased since the GE. Very dispiriting for our country. 

The more I look at Johnson and his cronies the more I see it mirroring Trump in the USA.

Which causes me to fear for the future of our country and a large part of it's population.

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Conventionally, economic growth %ages are in real terms. So on top of any pure price inflation. 

Then of course there is the power of compounding over long-ish periods

Even so......to get to something like 73% over 10 years  you'd have to hit about 6 to 6.5% increase every year.

Now as far as I can remember, apart from maybe 2010, when the country was recovering from the credit crisis induced contraction, we've been struggling to hit 2-2.5 % GDP growth and 2-3% inflation. 

Got Brexit done though didn't he?!

9 hours ago, 1of4 said:

What a scamp he his.

Didnt see it this week.

I assume the opposition took him to pieces over his claim?

8 hours ago, 1of4 said:

The more I look at Johnson and his cronies the more I see it mirroring Trump in the USA.

Which causes me to fear for the future of our country and a large part of it's population.

America seems to be doing just fine.

Which part of the population do you fear for?

45 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Got Brexit done though didn't he?!

Yes, he did. Seems a weird thing to say when the post was about him lying?

21 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

She just did more for his re-election than anyone. How stupid is she? Brilliant stuff again from the left, they really can't help themselves. 

He will win by an absolute landslide later this year. 

He maybe all you have stated but he will still win.. What does that tell you about the politics of the left and their approach? IT'S NOT WORKING, PEOPLE HAVE HAD ENOUGH AND SEEN THROUGH THIS VICTIM CRAP. 

Not entirely sure what all this 'victim crap' means apart from right wing propaganda, but in terms of the acquittal, the Republicans are basically fine with their president removing foreign aid from another state unless they produce dirt on a political rival. And you know if Biden ends up winning the Democratic nomination, then Trump will spend the whole time smearing him on dirt he had hoped Ukraine would have provided/invented.

If I may be so bold to speak on behalf of 'the left', I'm having trouble dealing with the new normal of Trump/Johnson, especially as it's been so rapid. I feel they are in the process of destroying Western democracy and it's difficult to know how to stop them.

It's hard to fight them on policy alone as a lot of what they claim to offer is popular, but if the policies are good, why all the ludicrous, obvious lies and anti-democratic actions like banning media and not been interviewed.

I find the debates on here with @Norman, @maxjam, @Angry Ram and @G STAR RAM both fascinating and depressing as you are all intelligent and are correct that the left is not offering very good alternatives at the moment.

But I'm not sure that the Tory Party/GOP been overrun with liars and their enablers is great for long term peace and prosperity. It seems like too great a price to pay for the so-called culture wars that exist mostly on social media, fuelled by fake news, lies and fear of the other.

Hopefully the media walk out the other day signals the start of democracy's fight back as political journalists on both sides united. These people have higher ideals than the columnists paid to be controversial, let alone unregulated peddlers of lies online.

In this world, people like Peter Oborne are vital. A traditional Conservative journalist who is leading the fight back.

I just checked his twitter feed for an example and this one is very apt. And scary.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1223579431400329216

9 hours ago, Norman said:

Does it matter if it doesn't matter? 

It doesn't matter if it matters or not, its the matter of post deletion that matters to those who think it matters. ☺️

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Keep up. If you think Brexit is in a done state, then your steak order will be confusing!

We left the EU last Friday night at 11pm.

Brexit was a vote on whether we remained or left the EU.

Brexit has been delivered.

Now the Government can get on with sorting all of the post Brexit matters and ultimately that is what they will be judged on.

BJ has delivered on his promise of getting Brexit done though, end of.

Archived