Filip Benkovic

Heisenberg

43 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

For what it's worth, I was told at the gym yesterday that Benkovic is definitely joining us on loan.

The person who told me regularly speaks to Mel and various people within the club, so we will see how reliable her source is.

Was that source Richard Keogh's lawyer then 

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/12/2019 at 19:31, Sexydadbod said:

If we were doing well and just needed the  finishing touch to get us over the line for promotion then I’d welcome this or any other loan signing but the season is near enough over for us. By the time he’s settled and gets into form, it would be time for him to go back to Leicester then we’ll be back in the same position as right now . Rather get no loan players in and focus more so on permanent signings. By the sounds of the rave reviews of him, he’d be the main player in our defence rather than supplementing it which is fine if we’re signing him permanently but not if it’s only a short term loan. Our overeliance on the loan players last season is why we are in the mess we’re in now and towards the bottom of the league

We did over rely on the “big three” but I suspect the dross that Lampard brought in such as Evans,Malone,Holmes and Jozefzoon allied to losing Keogh,Clarke,Bielik,Bogle and Shinnie to injury may also have played a big part!

On 29/12/2019 at 11:52, nogbad van 50 said:

We did over rely on the “big three” but I suspect the dross that Lampard brought in such as Evans,Malone,Holmes and Jozefzoon allied to losing Keogh,Clarke,Bielik,Bogle and Shinnie to injury may also have played a big part!

Agree with your general point but take issue with you lumping Holmes in with the 'dross'. He most certainly is not, particularly at the price we paid  

22 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Agree with your general point but take issue with you lumping Holmes in with the 'dross'. He most certainly is not, particularly at the price we paid  

Price doesn't come into it, a dross player is dross whether he cost £250,000 or £25,000,000

Personally not a fan of loan players it just holds back the accadmey players.

If we finish mid table or below  but devolep  long term  that's better for the long term future.

Listening to Mel last night that seems the plan 50% of the team next season will be Derby born players 

We could sing their one of own and sing each player by name.

Long term future looking good.

1 hour ago, Ramfan1958 said:

If we finish mid table or below  but devolep  long term  that's better for the long term future.

Listening to Mel last night that seems the plan 50% of the team next season will be Derby born players 

I’d say the opposite can be true, as they’re not here for the long term they give you time to get the players ready, for example Dowell and Paterson has probably been good for Bird and Knight as neither were ready at the start of the season but as there loans are finishing they are  looking like first names on the team sheet. We can send them back to their club and without wasting too much money. 

2 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

I think Mel actually said that the target for next season (important word of qualification is 'target') was 50% of the first team should have come through the academy. He never mentioned being Derby born. 

On 29/12/2019 at 10:42, MackworthRamIsGod said:

For what it's worth, I was told at the gym yesterday that Benkovic is definitely joining us on loan.

The person who told me regularly speaks to Mel and various people within the club, so we will see how reliable her source is.

Quality sauce, probably.

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Everyone wants to play eleven of our own, only the very biggest clubs realistically can.

Yeah the really big clubs can afford to play 11 of their own youngsters... gone are the days of united bringing through the kids, unfortunately they have to spend money to stay competitive. Fortunately Mel has spent a hell of a lot of money on our academy and we now have one of the best youth set ups in the country and the great thing is, we could potentially have 8/9 playing in our first team in 1/2 seasons if we stick by Cocu. 

Imagine the value in our squad when and if all of the below are playing regular football... 

Bogle 

Lowe 

Bird 

Knight

Sibley 

Whittaker 

Hector Ingram 

Mitchell Lawson

If they all on average were playing 20 games plus next season we’d have stock piled millions in players. It’s really exciting that we have the best youngsters in the land and we’re giving them a go. 
If you’re 15/16 and you’re lucky enough to pick you destination we’d have to be in the top 5 places to go. 
I don’t just think this is a flash in the pan generation I thoroughly believe this will be a conveyor belt of talent being produced year on year!

9 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Yeah the really big clubs can afford to play 11 of their own youngsters... gone are the days of united bringing through the kids, unfortunately they have to spend money to stay competitive. Fortunately Mel has spent a hell of a lot of money on our academy and we now have one of the best youth set ups in the country and the great thing is, we could potentially have 8/9 playing in our first team in 1/2 seasons if we stick by Cocu. 

Imagine the value in our squad when and if all of the below are playing regular football... 

Bogle 

Lowe 

Bird 

Knight

Sibley 

Whittaker 

Hector Ingram 

Mitchell Lawson

If they all on average were playing 20 games plus next season we’d have stock piled millions in players. It’s really exciting that we have the best youngsters in the land and we’re giving them a go. 
If you’re 15/16 and you’re lucky enough to pick you destination we’d have to be in the top 5 places to go. 
I don’t just think this is a flash in the pan generation I thoroughly believe this will be a conveyor belt of talent being produced year on year!

Didn't Manchester United just field an academy graduate for the 4000 (?) game running or something ridiculous? In recent years they've had plenty come through and Solskjaer seems keen to push that further (given time).

Its a bit of a long shot to suggest that by plating 20 games next season those players will be worth millions though isn't it? Bogle seems to be worth a hefty fee right now for sure but thats based on his performances over the last year not the amount he's played. I don't see many people dropping millions on Mason Bennett.

21 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Did you watch us last season?

50 minutes ago, MauritianMonsta said:

Did you watch us last season?

As much as Mount and Wilson improved the quality of the team last season, their departures also left us in a bit of a state. I imagine this is what people that are anti-loans are talking about. Any loan is a double-edged sword; they may improve the side but its either entirely temporary or the later purchase will be at a hugely inflated price if they do well.

Loanees of Mason and Harry's quality are rare, especially at this level. When loanees such as this are as integral to our collective success as they were, finding replacements will always be nigh on impossible. The alternative then of blooding an academy graduate instead is attractive due the comparative longevity that they can offer the team. 

So yes, Mount & Wilson both were great players last season, but how has it helped us in the long run? 

Archived