v Wigan Athletic (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Bogle, Lowe, Bird and Knight all in the 11. At FT we could see over the half the XI being academy products. Exciting, imo. 

Yes very exciting is n't it, we are building together quite a nice looking team for League 1 next season.  Seriously I couldn't care less if we are bringing through young players if there is a load of dross around them, every decent team needs a solid spine of senior players. My only hope is with Shinnie and Rooney in the team + a potential new signing in January we may be slightly better.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

I dunno if he's desperate, but we saw what happened last week when we went down to 10 men.

Not sure if you're watching the game, but Bielik was odds on to go off and that has/had zero to do with Cocu.

How can it have nothing to do with Cocu?

Cocu sets the team formation. If we're being overran in the midfield, Phil needs to do something about it. If Bielik is being over aggressive in the tackle or careless, Phil needs to have a word. 

We've got a keeper who most are reasonably happy about. Hamer has done nothing terrible. He's Mr Average.

A right back who most on here would say he's one of the best in the league.

A centre back in Davies who some seem to think he's a good leader and has plenty of experience.

Forsyth at the back who seems to make everyones team of the decade.

Lowe at Left Back who I'm not the biggest fan of but has great potential.

Bielik who cost £8m+ who looks our best player.

Knight who looks like one of the best prospects from the academy in recent years.

Duane Holmes who everyone loves his energy and is one of the first names on most peoples team sheet.

Chris Martin upfront who loads of people love on here; a great player to have in a 433 for link up play.

Tom Lawrence who has shown some terrible form, but has had a good few seasons previously and I think there's still a great player there.

Waghorn who proved under Lampard he's a great asset.

Yet Wigan are making us look like ducking amateurs and it has nothing to do with Cocu?

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It really doesn't matter who is up front,none of them are having any service.....

Agreed, but any good manager would do something about this rather than standing back and doing nothing, for example, stop trying to play out the back because we haven’t got the players in defence or midfield to play that way and instead, bypass the midfield by putting two up front and getting the ball to them quicker, long balls from the back, just do something- Ideally Martin and Marriott because Waghorn and Martin doesn’t really work.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Would be exciting if we blooding them into an energetic team playing a decent brand of football...

Once they outnumber the old poo bags we cling on to they'll take over in terms of energy. 

The biggest shame we have as a club as our U23 CBs are the probably the most rough around the edges of our young players. If only one of our star youngsters was one with the first team in this shape ? 

Corner to Derby. Waghorn claiming a penalty. Miscommunication seems the ball loop into the air under the bar and he gets clattered to the ground as he goes to finish it. Looks a really good shout. 

1 minute ago, Nick_Ram said:

How can it have nothing to do with Cocu?

Cocu sets the team formation. If we're being overran in the midfield, Phil needs to do something about it. If Bielik is being over aggressive in the tackle or careless, Phil needs to have a word. 

We've got a keeper who most are reasonably happy about. Hamer has done nothing terrible. He's Mr Average.

A right back who most on here would say he's one of the best in the league.

A centre back in Davies who some seem to think he's a good leader and has plenty of experience.

Forsyth at the back who seems to make everyones team of the decade.

Lowe at Left Back who I'm not the biggest fan of but has great potential.

Bielik who cost £8m+ who looks our best player.

Knight who looks like one of the best prospects from the academy in recent years.

Duane Holmes who everyone loves his energy and is one of the first names on most peoples team sheet.

Chris Martin upfront who loads of people love on here; a great player to have in a 433 for link up play.

Tom Lawrence who has shown some terrible form, but has had a good few seasons previously and I think there's still a great player there.

Waghorn who proved under Lampard he's a great asset.

Yet Wigan are making us look like ducking amateurs and it has nothing to do with Cocu?

Dude, when it comes to cherry picking information to support a belief, you are totally world-class!

Serious question here, but what has Cocu done to improve the team/club since his arrival. He speaks well in interviews and makes you want him to succeed, but we're going backwards and have been for a while now. I don't think there's a single player who's improved under Cocu's management and it's taken injuries and suspensions to see the youngster get their chance despite the senior players performing poorly. 

Martin with a couple of unusually poor touches as Holmes won the ball and looked to play out; nothing egregious but not what we've become accustomed to from him.

Derby attack again with Lawrence. He plays Martin down the left who fires a decent cross in but it misses Waghorn. Derby maintain possession on the right but it eventually ends up out for a Wigan throw.

Archived