v Reading (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

6 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

think that’s a brilliant description of Lampard as a manager. I’m no believer in ‘luck’, but he cultivated the conditions that resulted in a number of ‘lucky’ things happening across the season. 

Yes.... but we were also playing a damn sight better than we are now. Players could actually pass the ball without it going out for a throw in

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Bielek absolutely has to start if fit, Evans is not working out at all & is a contributory factor to us playing so deep.

I suspect that Evans dropping into a back three is a deliberate tactic to allow us to deploy the wing backs. People think he is doing something wrong but I suspect he is doing exactly what he has been asked and coached to do. 

4 hours ago, thekingofbuxton said:

BH

JB     CD     CF    ML

GE      KB

DH     TL     MW

CM

You lazy git. 

For a start Jacob Butterfield doesn't play for us any more. Neither does Claude Davis. Mitchell Lawson at left back? Ridiculous. 

What a mess.

Most effective formation, best 11 available.

Roos

Bogle.  Wisdom. Davies. Lowe

Bielik

Holmes.        Knight

Lawrence

Marriott.  Martin

If Marriott injured, then Waggy.

If Wizzy not ready, then Evans.

8 hours ago, angieram said:

This is Cocu's luck - everything that could possibly go against him does so. 

I agree. 

But the other cliché to go with this is 'you make your own luck'. Cocu doesn't help himself and doesn't seem a 'naturally' lucky manager.

24 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I suspect that Evans dropping into a back three is a deliberate tactic to allow us to deploy the wing backs. People think he is doing something wrong but I suspect he is doing exactly what he has been asked and coached to do. 

Possibly so & in fairness I'd always expect a DCM to cover if a full back bombs on forward. Problem with Evans is he seems too deep even when they're parallel to him & the game seems to pass him by when he does step up. Given the limitations of our CBs, I'd like to see him demanding the ball & dictating the tempo of our play.

I think theres a decent CB in there though & he does suit Cocu's style insofar as being comfortable on the ball. I'd like to see him replace one of the 'stoppers' at CB

2 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

Roos

Bogle   Wisdom   Davies   Malone

Holmes   Beilik    Knight

Waghorn   Marriott   Lawrence

Why no Martin, think he is one player who is giving his all at the moment, and for me is one of our better players 

22 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Why no Martin, think he is one player who is giving his all at the moment, and for me is one of our better players 

Agreed. In honestly, at the moment, I haven't got a clue who I'd pick. The front three of Waghorn, Marriott & Lawrence have shown flashes of beauty at times when it's been tried. Martin would definitely end up on the pitch anyway if we set up like that.

Come back to me when Rooney and Van Ginkel are here- I'll be able to pick a better team then.

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Roos

Bielik

Holmes.        Knight

Lawrence

Marriott.  Martin

This is exactly the team I'd pick. Please no George Evans in midfield, he can only pass sideways or backwards. One of the worst midfielders I've seen at Derby. Think he might be ok as a centre back though... 

2 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Roos back please . Hamer is a career no2 for a reason 

Not for me.

Hamer is not as confident with distribution (suicide passes to marked defenders) and tends to go long, but is punching/catching with more confidence (although Not always 100%). Basically the things we were getting most stressed about with Roos are a little better (but not great) with Hamer. Downside, less likely to pull of the Worldy save.

PS. We are likely to find in 10 years time that Roos is a career #2 (or 3).

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Roos

Bielik

Holmes.        Knight

Lawrence

Marriott.  Martin

I'd go mad and try Widom with Evans at centre back. Get some passing ability in the back line. 

6 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

I'd go mad and try Widom with Evans at centre back. Get some passing ability in the back line. 

...but lose every header.

It’s a conundrum. Last season it was pace but no positional sense.

This year it’s size but no skill.

I think Evans could play alongside Davies but really we need someone brand new.

Just such a boring fixture it seems. We lack a spark and the dogfight to avoid the drop continues in this game.

Cant guess what the team will be but there will be changes if Cocu is to be consistent. If there’s a team to play at home it’s us, we can’t score and we conceed for fun so I can’t see us winning this one.

Reading will want it more than us and we will slump to a 2-0 loss. Happy to be proven wrong though

Best XI In my opinion (4-1-2-1-2)

Hamer

Bogle Davies wisdom Lowe 

Bielek

holmes.                  Knight 

Lawrence 

JM (if fit).       Martin

I'd prefer to see knight in the right central or central central midfield position, rather than left of centre. The ball is dropping to him on his left foot which is why his shots are skewing off target. 

Hamer

bogle.     Wisdom.     Bielik.    Lowe

.                       Evans

.     Holmes.     Knight.   Sibley

.          Wag/jack.   Martin

Archived