• Last Reply

----------------------Hamer---------------------

-----------Wisdom-Davies-Forsyth------

Bogle--------------------------------------------Malone

---------------------Bielik-----Evans------------

--------------Knight-----------------Sibley-------

-----------------------------Martin-------------------

Roos / Bird / Anya / Holmes / Mitchell-Lawson / Lawrence / Marriott

I'll be there. Was there last season when Reading were the better team all match; Bennett put that perfect cross over in the final minute and Lawrence shut his eyes and scored his only ever headed goal. What a beauty! That was Lampard's luck - the man bred optimism and effort even when things weren't going well (which they often weren't last season.)

This year I think things will be different. We'll probably still be the worst team all match but we'll have another chance in the last minute and it will either be a rubbish cross that misses everyone except Lowe on the far side who stretches for it and injures himself for the next three months, or pings back across the goal, flirts off Waghorn's backside and lands safely in the keeper's arms. This is Cocu's luck - everything that could possibly go against him does so. 

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'll be there. Was there last season when Reading were the better team all match; Bennett put that perfect cross over in the final minute and Lawrence shut his eyes and scored his only ever headed goal. What a beauty! That was Lampard's luck - the man bred optimism and effort even when things weren't going well (which they often weren't last season.)

I think that’s a brilliant description of Lampard as a manager. I’m no believer in ‘luck’, but he cultivated the conditions that resulted in a number of ‘lucky’ things happening across the season. 

I’ll be there too. I got speaking to a Reading fan on the bus in the early hours of Saturday morning and, stupidly, I was talking us up massively. I was (jokingly) calling him a posh boy and all that, so I hope it doesn’t come back to bite me! 

Talking of biting, the pies at Reading are absolutely fantastic. Money is tight at the minute, but I’m definitely going to stretch the budget for either their chicken balti or stake and local ale offerings. 

Hamer

Bogle Davies Bielik Evans Holmes Knight Martin Waghorn Lowe

We can't score anyway, so just line up everyone just in front of Hamer and try to salvage a point by not conceding.

Hamer

bogle Davies Fozzy Lowe

Bielik

Knight Holmes

Lawrence 

Martin   Marriott 

would play sibley over Holmes but two youngsters in this current atmosphere could be a disaster.

There just needs to be a show of fight and desire to win 50/50s, second balls and headers and that’s the basis of a successful team. 

Once you’ve put in the hard yards then you earn the right to play.

1 hour ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

Hamer

bogle Davies Fozzy Lowe

Bielik

Knight Holmes

Lawrence 

Martin   Marriott 

would play sibley over Holmes but two youngsters in this current atmosphere could be a disaster.

There just needs to be a show of fight and desire to win 50/50s, second balls and headers and that’s the basis of a successful team. 

Once you’ve put in the hard yards then you earn the right to play.

Swap Fozzy for Wizz and you're spot on

Yep. I’ll definitely be reading rather than watching us trying to stay in the game for as long as possible and scoring a goal which to quote Phillip yesterday “is an important part of the game”. Have you ever watched water disappear down the plug hole? As the water level recedes the rate at which it recedes quickens up so the last drop of water disappears quickest. 

1 hour ago, thekingofbuxton said:

BH

JB     CD     CF    ML

GE      KB

DH     TL     MW

CM

Losing this match would be very bad

Have a look at the team line up v Fulham away 0-3

Bielek absolutely has to start if fit, Evans is not working out at all & is a contributory factor to us playing so deep.

With a solid platform, we should be able to get a foothold and offer more of a threat. Like most on here, I'd like to see us go for a diamond in midfield...Lawrence at 10 is more effective than at left wing (Knight & Holmes the other 2) & 2 up front, ideally Martin & Marriott but Waghorn if latter is not fit. Let's get into them.

Roos

Bogle Davies Forsyth Lowe

Bielik Bird

Waghorn Dowell Josefzoon

Martin

Painful looking side I know. Hamer doesn’t look any more convincing than Roos to me, and is far too slow in possession. Swap him back out for me. Evans is just totally ineffective so restore Bielik now he’s fit again for some more grit and quality in midfield. Harsh on Knight I know as he fought well the other night, but think we need to go into this game with a solid 2 in defensive midfield sadly, given our away form, in the desperate hope to at least get something from the game. That doesn’t mean we sit deep and invite pressure all game, but we just need to make sure that we have the players capable of breaking up play and instigating counters in there. Bird deserves a go as much as anyone. Lawrence has been very frustrating in recent games, he’s so wasteful, so time for a change there imo. Sadly the option is Josefzoon who has also been beyond useless, but we seem to actually have a half decent record when he starts. Maybe there’s something in that. Last change is Dowell, just for a laugh really. Need something to cheer us up. Watching his vain attempt to be a pro footballer will at least give us that while we undoubtedly succumb to a 3-0 loss.

FWIW, Reading seem an inconsistent side. They’re below us, which should make them beatable. But they’ve got some decent results this season in amongst the shocking ones, and they’ve been a bit better than Bowen took over. And they always seem to beat us even when we’re good, so Christ knows what could happen here. Really I’d hope for a least a point, maybe more, but I fear us rolling over again. Just hope we actually go at them with a bit of bravery and pressing, rather than sitting back and waiting for the inevitable like at Blackburn. Some actual closing down in our half would be useful too. And let’s hope the midfield isn’t as easily sliced through as it was on Saturday.

Archived