Endearing players

mozza

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Endearing?? Massive wage packet (allegedly?) sulky face, arms in the air, diving...not the word I would use.

Great goalscorer and leader of the line on his day...and massive grudging respect for coming back and proving many (myself included) wrong.

Yeah he could have turned the money down. Goes on loan - gets us a fee - rather than sit about like some of our players!

Sulky when not given the ball. Wardrobes to win free kicks! 

A good servant of the club. Fab striker and never dissed the club.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Endearing?? Massive wage packet (allegedly?) sulky face, arms in the air, diving...not the word I would use.

Great goalscorer and leader of the line on his day...and massive grudging respect for coming back and proving many (myself included) wrong.

Hasn't proved me wrong at all - always thought he was a useful Championship mid-table striker and that is exactly what he is at the moment. There's a place in the team for him if we are content with this league.

To the OP, I had big hopes for Marriott - really struck me as the next Bobby but just hasn't happened for him in the way I really wanted it to (one game aside of course!). So, to the question - no endearment for any team member.

That said, I'm a few years into this thing called life - if I admitted having feelings for most of our squad I'm more likely to get interviewed by Emily Maitlis than anything else.

In no particular order, in the current team I particularly feel warmly towards:

iccle Duane Holmes - some skill, fire in belly, gives his all

I think Shinnie might get there (shame about the injury) - the new Paul Green IMO.

Fozzy - 3rd comeback. Beast when fit. Link to the Mac1 team

Huddz - still has something very few have in terms of passing vision and class

Bogle - very good, will get better

Lowe - see Bogle, not quite as good but sill developing

(Academy players are easy to give goodwill to)

I always used to get to the end of the season and be concerned that I may never see certain players in a Rams shirt again - I now (and have for the last 10 years or so) wonder whether I'd actually be bothered if I saw any of the team playing for us in the following season - football has become far more mercenary and whereas we used to have players who were genuinely proud to pull the shirt on, I suspect most players simply see the club as a means to an end (the Keogh refusal of a new contract in the apparent hope of getting a bigger payout being a prime example).

Nowadays it tends to be the younger players that are more likely to be thought of kindly because if they've fought their way up through the academy, then you think they'll have a better connection to the club and the fans (as was the case with Hughes) - though the Bennetts of this world can quickly destroy that suggestion.

I hope the focus on youth will bring us a few more that really are 'one of our own', but I'm not holding my breath.....

Sibley has the potential, I think what you need to be endearing is less about skill and more about showing personality and passion - what better way than a Seth style bonecruncher?

There isn’t much to choose from at the minute, Duane and Waggy for me. Marriott seems really likeable but there is definitely something off with him not being played?

Past players, I’m surprised no one has mentioned Jake Buxton yet, I’m still in love with that man, everything you need to know about him summed up in that one photo of him turning up to preseason with his boots in a carrier bag.

Archived