Lampard after Given again

Will the Ram

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems strange that this has reached the papers.

Surely Frank would have checked with Shay about his level of interest.

If he wants to go, compensation would be minimal (for Chelsea's budget) for a coach usually just covering wages, not an actual 'fee'.

So, I'd have thought if this had any truth, it would happen before it hits the papers. No need to leak a story to put pressure on anyone.

33 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

That must be a savage indictment then on the paucity of goalkeeping talent in the Championship

I think the standard of goalkeeping has dropped incredibly over the years. I was brought up with keepers like Boulton, Shilton, Jennings, Clemence..... The last really good keeper (or at least English) was probably Seaman, and how long has he been retired? Goalkeeping as an art has vanished. Now there are good shot stoppers, there are good "sweepers", I imagine there are good cross catchers. The problem is that they all seem really good at one aspect, the higher the level they're playing at possibly two. I have to confess I saw little of Given in his prime. I know he was a good shot stopper, but the other aspects I have no idea. Even if he was excellent at all aspects doesn't necessarily mean that he can teach as well, or maybe he's an excellent coach but his students just aren't up to it? Many of the best coaches in the world, at all sports, weren't necessarily in the upper echelons during their active career. Eric Steel is considered one of the best goalkeeping coaches in the world, his footballing career could be considered no more than good.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say here ?. If Given goes it's possible that the level of our keepers will improve, it's also possible that they won't. The next coach has to be very highly thought of to get an idea of Given's abilities. If the standard doesn't improve then maybe the problem is our keepers. If it improves then obviously Given isn't as good a coach as he was a keeper. I would love to see Steel back here. He obviously loves the club and his reputation couldn't be bettered, but that would be only if Given decides to leave.

15 hours ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

Funny you should mention the Estonian master I was reading this earlier today.

Probably would love to come back to coach at some point :-).

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/mart-poom-i-turned-down-man-utd-to-stay-at-Derby-arsenal-move-an-honour/

Great story.

His lad was born in Derby. Slipped through our eternally vigilant scouts by the look.?

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

I think the standard of goalkeeping has dropped incredibly over the years. I was brought up with keepers like Boulton, Shilton, Jennings, Clemence..... The last really good keeper (or at least English) was probably Seaman, and how long has he been retired? Goalkeeping as an art has vanished. Now there are good shot stoppers, there are good "sweepers", I imagine there are good cross catchers. The problem is that they all seem really good at one aspect, the higher the level they're playing at possibly two. I have to confess I saw little of Given in his prime. I know he was a good shot stopper, but the other aspects I have no idea. Even if he was excellent at all aspects doesn't necessarily mean that he can teach as well, or maybe he's an excellent coach but his students just aren't up to it? Many of the best coaches in the world, at all sports, weren't necessarily in the upper echelons during their active career. Eric Steel is considered one of the best goalkeeping coaches in the world, his footballing career could be considered no more than good.

I don't really know what I'm trying to say here ?. If Given goes it's possible that the level of our keepers will improve, it's also possible that they won't. The next coach has to be very highly thought of to get an idea of Given's abilities. If the standard doesn't improve then maybe the problem is our keepers. If it improves then obviously Given isn't as good a coach as he was a keeper. I would love to see Steel back here. He obviously loves the club and his reputation couldn't be bettered, but that would be only if Given decides to leave.

Which one of you claimed the jersey in the school team ??

On 15/11/2019 at 08:45, hintonsboots said:

Anybody got his phone number? 

images (1).jpeg

Ideal temperament.

Calm, efficient, safe pair of hands.

He just seemed to fit straight into the Rams' glory team.

The 'Ringo Starr' always at the back but solid and dependable.

P S. Jonny Bairstow might be willing to come as a coach!?

16 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I assume Given is more of a general coach than goalkeeper specific, seeing as he's often the one issuing the subs with instructions when they come on.

He's not hes just telling them to tell roos to catch the bloody thing ?

Archived