Just wanna reiterate the Cloughie stat

Bob The Badger

The year after he become Derby manager we scored 1 less point.

Now, I'm sure there will be some old-timers who will say, 'but yeh that was different, you could see what he was doing' but that's just hindsight bias with probably a false memory thrown in for good luck.

Cloughie knew the football league and he knew where the cheap talent was.

He did not have his best three players (maybe four if you know add Keogh to the list) ripped away from him with no time to respond before a new season kicked off.

You cannot ignore the above fact.

NO team in the Championship could recover from that kind of blow.

Hell, most Premier League teams would struggle even with their bloated squads.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who claimed to be for stability with other managers who when they were fired, but have given up on Cocu already.

Until the Wigan game he won't have been manager for as many games as even Pearson.

About the only thing we can be sure of at the moment, is that we are without doubt playing poorly, and it is concerning.

I honestly have no clue whether he'll turn it around or not.

However, it's ridiculous to say you're a believer in continuity, and then say with the next breath, you want a guy who has managed only 13-games and started with almost every conceivable card stacked against him, fired. 

I'm confident  that Mel will talked to a lot of people before hiring him and was convinced he'd work out.

As such, and presuming it doesn't end up in relegation, I'd like to give Cocu an off season to see if he can work things out.

The alternative is, yet again, we roll the dice and start all over again.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought i saw a few comments/interviews/articles early in Cocu's reign saying a part of the attraction at least was his readiness to bring the youngsters through.

And wasn't the picture of his assistant encouraging young Jason Knight just as he was about to come on v Huddersfield well-liked and commented on favourably.

So i don't know whether it is just me, but that seems to be gently drifting backwards and we're persisting with the old guard who are attracting greater derision as they turn in miserable performance after miserable performance. I realise Forest away wasn't any better but i thought the hope was the lads would shown some learning and slowly improve. With our established players, they don't seem to improve at all. Or learn.

It may be this turning away from the internal rebuild approach which might ultimately cost Cocu - if we feel our signed players show so little invested in the club but keep on picking them then we only have ourselves to blame?

20 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Now, I'm sure there will be some old-timers who will say, 'but yeh that was different, you could see what he was doing' but that's just hindsight bias with probably a false memory thrown in for good luck.

He did not have his best three players (maybe four if you know add Keogh to the list) ripped away from him with no time to respond before a new season kicked off.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who claimed to be for stability with other managers who when they were fired, but have given up on Cocu already.

Until the Wigan game he won't have been manager for as many games as even Pearson.

About the only thing we can be sure of at the moment, is that we are without doubt playing poorly, and it is concerning.

I honestly have no clue whether he'll turn it around or not.

However, it's ridiculous to say you're a believer in continuity, and then say with the next breath, you want a guy who has managed only 13-games and started with almost every conceivable card stacked against him, fired. 

I'm confident  that Mel will talked to a lot of people before hiring him and was convinced he'd work out.

As such, and presuming it doesn't end up in relegation, I'd like to give Cocu an off season to see if he can work things out.

The alternative is, yet again, we roll the dice and start all over again.

No, we can tell decent players when we see them ,I don't see many players of that calibre in this team.

10 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Most used players 18/19:

Keogh - Out for the season
Tomori - Back at Chelsea
Wilson - At Bournemouth
Bogle - Spent a lot of the season out injured. Still doesn't look fully fit
Mount - Back at Chelsea
Waghorn
Marriott - Spent a lot of the season out injured
Lawrence
Bennett - A couple of niggles
Nugent - Released. Now at Preston
Johnson - Free to Blackburn
Carson - Sitting at home for Man City
Malone - A couple of niggles
Bryson - Released. Now at Aberdeen
Jozefzoon - A couple of niggles
Holmes - Injured throughout preseason and had a few niggles since.
Huddlestone - Now injured for a few months
Roos

Should we be surprised by our early season struggles?

Look at the starting 11 last Saturday and see the mishmash of managers who bought these in.

Roos - McClaren

Bogle - Academy

Davies - Rowett

Clarke - Cocu

Malone - Lampard

Shinnie - Lampard

Bielik - Cocu

Waghorn - Lampard

Paterson - Cocu

Lawrence - Rowett

Martin - Clough

So that's a team made up of FIVE different management signings. And people wonder why Cocu isn't getting consistency. Only 3 of the players are his own. And the state of the bench, again a right blend of manager tenures. Madness getting rid of the bloke, it would get even worse if we have to go recruiting another manager. Give the man time.

I think most people accept Cocu has been dealt a duff hand with player quality and poor replacements ,but its the lack of fitness ,effort ,team spirit and poor formations that are still a problem . I do believe there is a fundamental problem at the club,even if it's only a post Frank hangover  [no pun intended].

13 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I thought i saw a few comments/interviews/articles early in Cocu's reign saying a part of the attraction at least was his readiness to bring the youngsters through.

And wasn't the picture of his assistant encouraging young Jason Knight just as he was about to come on v Huddersfield well-liked and commented on favourably.

So i don't know whether it is just me, but that seems to be gently drifting backwards and we're persisting with the old guard who are attracting greater derision as they turn in miserable performance after miserable performance. I realise Forest away wasn't any better but i thought the hope was the lads would shown some learning and slowly improve. With our established players, they don't seem to improve at all. Or learn.

It may be this turning away from the internal rebuild approach which might ultimately cost Cocu - if we feel our signed players show so little invested in the club but keep on picking them then we only have ourselves to blame?

Minutes to academy players so far (league only):
Lowe - 756
Bogle - 432
Knight - 222
Bennett - 150
Buchanan - 136

Last season (inc playoffs):
Bogle - 3755
Bennett - 1258
Lowe - 270
Bird - 112
Mitchell-Lawson - 7

Not only have we already seen as many academy players play for the first team as last season, we're more than on course for our academy players to play more minutes too.

32 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

We've been poor by our standards BUT I'd still argue we were better than Swansea and West Brom when we played them - Two of the current top three

42 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

We've been poor by our standards BUT I'd still argue we were better than Swansea and West Brom when we played them - Two of the current top three

And we missed penalties against both of them. Had either of them gone in I reckon a lot on here would be singing a very different tune.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think the "common wisdom" is that it's better to do that when the team are playing well.

But looking at @Ghost of Clough's stats above, he is playing the kids.

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

I think most people accept Cocu has been dealt a duff hand with player quality and poor replacements ,but its the lack of fitness ,effort ,team spirit and poor formations that are still a problem . I do believe there is a fundamental problem at the club,even if it's only a post Frank hangover  [no pun intended].

I agree Kev. There is a part of me that wants to start “spotting the workers” the consistent players that give it all game in game out. My gut feeling is that We don’t have as many as we should have. The ones that as the cliche goes “leave everything on the pitch” 

Waghorn and Shinnie probably, Keogh (but that’s over now) Curtiss probably and Duane certainly. Bielik not sure yet.

there are a lot of maybe’s .. too many for my liking.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Most used players 18/19:

Keogh - Out for the season
Tomori - Back at Chelsea
Wilson - At Bournemouth
Bogle - Spent a lot of the season out injured. Still doesn't look fully fit
Mount - Back at Chelsea
Waghorn
Marriott - Spent a lot of the season out injured
Lawrence
Bennett - A couple of niggles
Nugent - Released. Now at Preston
Johnson - Free to Blackburn
Carson - Sitting at home for Man City
Malone - A couple of niggles
Bryson - Released. Now at Aberdeen
Jozefzoon - A couple of niggles
Holmes - Injured throughout preseason and had a few niggles since.
Huddlestone - Now injured for a few months
Roos

Should we be surprised by our early season struggles?

Were we somehow surprised that mount, Wilson and tomori left at the end of their loans?

were we shocked that we had released nugent, Johnson, Bryson, and loaned out Carson?

39 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Were we somehow surprised that mount, Wilson and tomori left at the end of their loans?

were we shocked that we had released nugent, Johnson, Bryson, and loaned out Carson?

I agree, whilst it's not necessarily Cocu's fault as he came late, the people involved in our transfer dealings should have surely seen this coming and  so far our summer signings look extremely inadequate for a team of our aspirations. I wouldn't be too mad at a midtable finish, buts its the manner of performance, come February/March if we are bottom half still and playing like that I will want him gone, still a lot of time to change things until that point though.

14 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Look at the starting 11 last Saturday and see the mishmash of managers who bought these in.

Roos - McClaren

Bogle - Academy

Davies - Rowett

Clarke - Cocu

Malone - Lampard

Shinnie - Lampard

Bielik - Cocu

Waghorn - Lampard

Paterson - Cocu

Lawrence - Rowett

Martin - Clough

So that's a team made up of FIVE different management signings. And people wonder why Cocu isn't getting consistency. Only 3 of the players are his own. And the state of the bench, again a right blend of manager tenures. Madness getting rid of the bloke, it would get even worse if we have to go recruiting another manager. Give the man time.

I totally agree with your point 

but Isnt that applicable to most sides these days such is the turnover in managers 

management has changed from back in the day, before managers would be given time to build a squad of their own now it’s all about getting the most out of what you’ve got by motivating and tactical expertise 

Archived