Thank you, Keogh

Bubbles

Alfie, I mean Keogh, should have been leading by example. The fact that he wasn't telling all of the youngsters to get home at 8pm just speaks volumes about the man. Yes, in 98% of jobs you would probably turn around and tell your self righteous colleague to sod off if they told you to head home early, but well paid professional sportsmen should live a squeaky clean lifestyle - not only to ensure optimum performance, but to set a good example. 

These are professional athletes and role models to thousands of young children. What message does it send out? I'm appalled by the whole affair. 

I've sat and watched this forum for many years, but this whole situation pushed me over the edge and I felt compelled to post.

Ultimately, forget football and the whole 'I'll support my team through thick and thin' mentality, innocent people could have been killed that night because of two naive, arrogant and reckless 'professional' footballers. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Keogh has been consistently our best player for the past decade, perhaps even longer, so I will always remember him fondly. The problem is, as I've alluded to in another post, his importance to this team is substantial and that this season will tarnish his reputation without him even playing. 

If the pictures of his knees doing the rounds are true, he is finished as a footballer and possibly a man that can get about without a wheelchair or at least crouches. 

I haven't seen the pics, but I've been told it's worse than Barker's injury.

14 minutes ago, John_The_Waff said:

Alfie, I mean Keogh, should have been leading by example. The fact that he wasn't telling all of the youngsters to get home at 8pm just speaks volumes about the man. Yes, in 98% of jobs you would probably turn around and tell your self righteous colleague to sod off if they told you to head home early, but well paid professional sportsmen should live a squeaky clean lifestyle - not only to ensure optimum performance, but to set a good example. 

These are professional athletes and role models to thousands of young children. What message does it send out? I'm appalled by the whole affair. 

I've sat and watched this forum for many years, but this whole situation pushed me over the edge and I felt compelled to post.

Ultimately, forget football and the whole 'I'll support my team through thick and thin' mentality, innocent people could have been killed that night because of two naive, arrogant and reckless 'professional' footballers. 

Sack keogh for gross misconduct and sell the other 2 in Jan. 

5 minutes ago, Westcumbrianram said:

Sack keogh for gross misconduct and sell the other 2 in Jan. 

How could you sack Keogh and not the others?

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

How could you sack Keogh and not the others?

Keogh was in a position of responsibility! Also, he now can't play for the rest of the season.

The others are able to play, but have let all involved with the club down. Fine them the maximum amount possible and then transfer list them in January. 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I really have mixed feelings about this.

I think you have have literally never got behind the wheel of a car knowing you were over the limit to be in a position to cast stones on that element.

I know I did it plenty of times in my youth - not proud of it - it was stupid.

Well quite!  I would hope that would be 99% of this forums members... at the very least!

Are you seriously admitting you drove knowing you were over the drink drive limit... many times?

Please tell me you have made a typo! 
I appreciate there is a difference between "Over the limit" and "after a couple of shandies".  The latter would make your confession much more acceptable, and your comments much more agreeable and understandable.

Just now, John_The_Waff said:

Keogh was in a position of responsibility! Also, he now can't play for the rest of the season.

The others are able to play, but have let all involved with the club down. Fine them the maximum amount possible and then transfer list them in January. 

I would think if Keogh was sacked and the others not then he would have a case for unfair dismissal.

Afterall despite his position he is not being charged with a criminal offence like the others. Its very possible the others could do time considering someone has been seriously injured.

If anything its the other way round for me.

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I would think if Keogh was sacked and the others not then he would have a case for unfair dismissal.

Afterall despite his position he is not being charged with a criminal offence like the others. Its very possible the others could do time considering someone has been seriously injured.

If anything its the other way round for me.

Keogh is no longer able to fulfil the expectations of his contract because of his own reckless decisions. So surely that is grounds to cancel said contract?

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

He's not as much to blame as the two drivers though. Agree with the rest. 

He is far from innocent but Lawrence and Bennett seem to be getting off lightly compared to Huddz and Keogh on t'internet

Partly due to their age/situation...but also these two perhaps appear to have got away with it in some ways ..whereas the other two still have to face the full force of the law. 

Somehow I feel that this injury will end Keogh’s career. Very odd that the club would instantly know Keogh is out for the season without it being very serious. 

He will take a lot of blame for this, and rightly so, but at the end of the day I think we have all made stupid mistakes... And I’d be astonished if nobody on here has ever done anything out of character after a few too many drinks! Hope I’m speaking prematurely but if this does turn out to be the end for Keogh I will always remember him as the great professional he was for us during 99.9% of his time at Derby.

If it's his ACL and nothing else he's out for the season anyway. Anything more and I doubt that he'll back back.

He's been good at closing down blocking shots as the last line of defence. He's been keen and passionate. His runs have improved over the years and can be handy.

His positional sense, decision making, distribution, tendency to ball-watch and captaincy is not premiership quality.

I can't help but feel a bit sorry for him if it ends this way as he has worked hard for us over the years. However I do think that he is replaceable and that we will have more chance of going up when he is replaced.

I realise that others hold him in higher regard and I respect that.

1 hour ago, John_The_Waff said:

This is spot on.

Keogh's punishment for his stupidity and lack of leadership is A) He's out for the season, B) He's probably lost the captaincy for good at Derby if he does play again and C) He's severely tarnished his reputation. Those three are suitable punishments for his actions.

As for the two players - the only suitable action for me is to sack them both. What they've done is illegal and completely dangerous with it. They've bought shame upon themselves, their families, their club and the fans. Derby County won't get an ounce of respect from me for this whole affair unless they sack them both. They may well need to wait until after the court proceedings as it has become a legal case so I'm disappointed Derby County have already 'supported' these two individuals by stating they will integrate them back into the club.

I couldn't care less who the individuals are - Could have been Marriott and Waghorn and I would have felt the same. If Lawrence or Bennett plays for Derby County again, in my eyes the club are not applying a zero tolerance approach and that doesn't send the right message to fans, especially younger fans.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

It looks like Keogh tried to self-amputate both legs just below the knee. It's really horrific. 

I've seen them now, not at all convinced they're real though. 

Assuming they were took in the immediate aftermath, would he really be wearing compression shorts to go bowling then on the piss?

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

No thanks from me. He made the decision to not stop those lot driving (or indeed stop the situation getting out of hand in the first place) and now he must live with the consequences. I hope he never wears the Derby shirt again, he doesn’t deserve it. Derby legend, don’t make me laugh. He could’ve been, but whatever came before doesn’t matter to me now he’s done this. He’s not a player I’ll remember fondly.

I’ve always been a Keogh fan, I’m away from all the drama but I feel angry what has happened.

I’ll remember him as a passionate leader but in this occasion he’s been an absolute bamford and let down a good many people, for that reason I can’t laugh about it, he should’ve known better and as captain and 33 years old, stopped immature kids with more money than sense doing what they did.

He failed as a leader here and for that his reputation is forever tarnished, some innocent could have been killed. That’s inexcusable.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Well quite!  I would hope that would be 99% of this forums members... at the very least!

Are you seriously admitting you drove knowing you were over the drink drive limit... many times?

Please tell me you have made a typo! 
I appreciate there is a difference between "Over the limit" and "after a couple of shandies".  The latter would make your confession much more acceptable, and your comments much more agreeable and understandable.

I think you know it wasn't a typo, so not sure why you'd even ask other than some lame attempt to shame me.

The attitude to drink driving when I first had a car back in 1979 was completely different to these days.

Once it started to become socially unacceptable as well as illegal, that was when things changed.

I'm not saying it excuses it, but pretty much everybody did it. I've know lock-ins where the cops were in there drinking too. Plenty of Derby players did it on a regular basis in the 70's and 80's.

Yes it was stupid and dangerous to other people and in no way right, but it is what it is and I cannot tell the 18-year-old version of me not to be a dick.

But, do you know what else is stupid and dangerous to other people too?

Breaking the speed limit.

I'm guessing though, that you have some internal barometer that finds it easy to rationalize that away as being 'different' even though 30% of fatalities involved excessive speeds.

Archived