Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

16 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

There's no exact rule book on this particular sequence of events.

A club may have to deal with a single drink driving incident or a group behaving badly, getting drunk in public etc, gambling, sex related issues, drug use, whatever other problems occur when 20 young (ish) men are working together in such a closed environment as professional football, but rarely has something like this happened on a bloody Tuesday night in Quarndon!

So far, Derby have imo, handled it with the utmost class and honesty.

A fairly short but strong condemnation of the incident but an awareness that all the facts may not be known yet.

Its uncharted territory and whatever happens there will be many who gloat at our situation but as long as Mel Morris and Phillip Cocu continue to act with the utmost integrity and statesmanship they have shown so far, we should let the Courts deal with it, then let the Club deal with it internally and in the meantime get behind our football team and do the only thing we can do to help us get through this.

Some, like me, are old enough to remember the trials and tribulations we've been through at the Baseball Ground like the Clough and Taylor sackings, relegation to Division 3, being about 10 minutes from going out of business, Maxwell, The 3 Amigos, and the outright unbridled joy of winning the League, the Arthur Cox and Jim Smith years and for the younger fans, the recent ups and downs at our new home on the old railway works of Chaddesden sidings. Its been frustrating and brilliant in equal measures since 2013. Thats what it will always be like being a Derby fan.

We've been through worse poo than this and come out of it with our heads held high.

I hope that all in the South Stand, East, West and North, will join me in giving the loudest rendition of WE ARE Derby the stadium has ever heard, not for the players who've let us down, but for Mel and Phil and the ones who only want to give their best for Derby County Football Club.

And for us, for the lads and lasses who turn up week after week, home and away, for us to have that feeling of belonging, that feeling of pride that we support and love our football club, through thick and thin.

Players, Managers and owners come and go, we don't, we're here to stay.

?

You'll need to do that one more time, in the home changing room at about 2.50pm tomorrow (we'll today technically) 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither would be in the right frame of mind to play football. I'm barely in the right state of mind to watch football after this week, so can see a few of the players being up against it. Normally, you'd throw in the young players, but it's a lot to burden on their shoulders. 

A bad result tomorrow and the place hits the heights of QPR at home where we plastered the pitch in free shirts. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Neither would be in the right frame of mind to play football. I'm barely in the right state of mind to watch football after this week, so can see a few of the players being up against it. Normally, you'd throw in the young players, but it's a lot to burden on their shoulders. 

A bad result tomorrow and the place hits the heights of QPR at home where we plastered the pitch in free shirts. 

The good thing is, it didn't seem to have affected the u23's on Thursday night, whether that's because it's easier to keep them away from it or whether that's because the club have tried to keep things as normal as they possibly can inside I'm not sure.

As an outsider, hope you don't mind my two pennorth... 

I suspect in society, amongst fanbases that plenty have replicated Messrs Bennett and Lawrence, some to devastating effects others fortunate to get home safe and undetected. 

In no way am I excusing their behaviour, as a younger man I've been a passenger in a car with a drunk driver, i and he should have known better and I'm currently in the process of taking lessons so won't touch a drop 48 hours before a lesson, that is the thoughts of a man in his 30s with life to pay for by putting hours in not 20 odd year olds who lack common sense and live in a self created bubble and don't really worry about owt cos their agent or entourage sort most of their issues. 

I remember Pennant and Adams being jailed for DUIs so custodials are on fhe cards and Keogh's choice has ended his career at this level IMHO, so what can County do, pending the case, make an example or offer support? 

Mel has to choose between protecting his investment or protecting the clubs image, it's a tough tough and very thin line, sacking them would be a finance hit but keeping them is a pr nightmare which may cost too. 

Got to feel for Mel, and Cocu. 

21 years ago this week we had our "sliding door" moment with the Di Canio push, this seems, to me, like it's County's under Mel. 

6 hours ago, walkleyowl said:

As an outsider, hope you don't mind my two pennorth... 

I suspect in society, amongst fanbases that plenty have replicated Messrs Bennett and Lawrence, some to devastating effects others fortunate to get home safe and undetected. 

In no way am I excusing their behaviour, as a younger man I've been a passenger in a car with a drunk driver, i and he should have known better and I'm currently in the process of taking lessons so won't touch a drop 48 hours before a lesson, that is the thoughts of a man in his 30s with life to pay for by putting hours in not 20 odd year olds who lack common sense and live in a self created bubble and don't really worry about owt cos their agent or entourage sort most of their issues. 

I remember Pennant and Adams being jailed for DUIs so custodials are on fhe cards and Keogh's choice has ended his career at this level IMHO, so what can County do, pending the case, make an example or offer support? 

Mel has to choose between protecting his investment or protecting the clubs image, it's a tough tough and very thin line, sacking them would be a finance hit but keeping them is a pr nightmare which may cost too. 

Got to feel for Mel, and Cocu. 

21 years ago this week we had our "sliding door" moment with the Di Canio push, this seems, to me, like it's County's under Mel. 

I agree, it’s a dark time.

nearly as dark as being referred to as “county” but dark all the same.

But putting that to one side, this will kill or cure us.  This afternoon is massive.

Joking aside, thanks for your comments.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

A club may have to deal with a single drink driving incident or a group behaving badly, getting drunk in public etc, gambling, sex related issues, drug use, whatever other problems occur when 20 young (ish) men are working together in such a closed environment as professional football, but rarely has something like this happened on a bloody Tuesday night in Quarndon!

A fairly short but strong condemnation of the incident but an awareness that all the facts may not be known yet.

Its uncharted territory and whatever happens there will be many who gloat at our situation but as long as Mel Morris and Phillip Cocu continue to act with the utmost integrity and statesmanship they have shown so far, we should let the Courts deal with it, then let the Club deal with it internally and in the meantime get behind our football team and do the only thing we can do to help us get through this.

Some, like me, are old enough to remember the trials and tribulations we've been through at the Baseball Ground like the Clough and Taylor sackings, relegation to Division 3, being about 10 minutes from going out of business, Maxwell, The 3 Amigos, and the outright unbridled joy of winning the League, the Arthur Cox and Jim Smith years and for the younger fans, the recent ups and downs at our new home on the old railway works of Chaddesden sidings. Its been frustrating and brilliant in equal measures since 2013. Thats what it will always be like being a Derby fan.

We've been through worse poo than this and come out of it with our heads held high.

I hope that all in the South Stand, East, West and North, will join me in giving the loudest rendition of WE ARE Derby the stadium has ever heard, not for the players who've let us down, but for Mel and Phil and the ones who only want to give their best for Derby County Football Club.

And for us, for the lads and lasses who turn up week after week, home and away, for us to have that feeling of belonging, that feeling of pride that we support and love our football club, through thick and thin.

?

????????

?

I had one issue with the clubs statement where they said they will reintegrate the players. This for me shows they have already decided against certain punishments before the Legal proceedings are held and before their own internal investigation is completed.

I feel stronger than with each passing day these two individuals should be fired. I also hope significant custodial sentences are passed down on them.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I had one issue with the clubs statement where they said they will reintegrate the players. This for me shows they have already decided against certain punishments before the Legal proceedings are held and before their own internal investigation is completed.

I feel stronger than with each passing day these two individuals should be fired. I also hope significant custodial sentences are passed down on them.

The club statement may have been on about other players that were part of the group, that didn't break the law but still let the club down with their behaviour. We need to be patient and wait and see what happens before we judge. 

?

Out of retirement, just for this as it can’t be ignored.. Absolutely spot on fella. I will be joining you in the rendition of ‘We are Derby’.

Dark days indeed but my love for this club will always e there.. I like you have seen all those things in our past.. My disgust lies with those involved, not DCFC.

Never been as massive Morris fan but I feel for the guy at the moment.. Sometimes those who you entrusted your investment to, let you down.. 

COYR

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Out of retirement, just for this as it can’t be ignored.. Absolutely spot on fella. I will be joining you in the rendition of ‘We are Derby’.

Dark days indeed but my love for this club will always e there.. I like you have seen all those things in our past.. My disgust lies with those involved, not DCFC.

Never been as massive Morris fan but I feel for the guy at the moment.. Sometimes those who you entrusted your investment to, let you down.. 

COYR

You’ve had more comebacks than the Spice Girls now, not that I’m complaining. One more and you will be challenging Take That ?

Archived