Birmingham City (H) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

Martin doesn't have the pace but more than makes up for it with the intelligence of his play, brings other players into the attack as he did so sublimely passing it to Waghorn for the second goal.  Delighted he is back in form and back to his best after what has undoubtedly been a difficult long period for him.  Paterson playing well and getting the winner in this so important game for Derby will help his popularity with the fans immensely, no doubt.  It's been a while since we have saved a penalty, delighted for Roos, but think he sort of got away with that one, moved off his line too early i reckon, but the ref didn't see it, or maybe he just didn't feel like seeing it, heh. 

Can't be overstated what a massively important win this was and now we have to keep the momentum going.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Enjoyed that, great game. Martin, Paterson and Davis were stand out for me. Jo Flo, waste of a shirt, Huddlump is just sooooooooo slooooooowwwww and Holmes gave the ball away to much IMO. 

Had no clue what the formation was or who was playing were, but that made it more fun. Dying to see Martin and Marriott up front together.

Felt guilty singing “Martin Waghorn Derby’s number 9” when Chrissy was still on the pitch, felt like cheating on him !!!! 

Pleased for Cocu, god did we need that !!!!!! 

COYR

Homes was excellent first half. As posted before he isn’t 90 mins fit yet

Football, don’t you just love it!

Is there any other sport that plays with your emotions like this?

For me a week filled with anger and sadness ending with me still feeling so proud of the lads, the staff and the fans!

My personal story...today started off with breakfast in the Hilton in Hull. Cardiff City staying there. A member of the Cardiff backroom staff being very vocal with Cardiff fans about Keogh and the ‘incident’. Very inappropriate comments about his satisfaction for Keogh’s injury and commenting on him as a player. Very unprofessional! 

Whilst I have felt angry and disappointed  with the players involved all week, I could not let him laugh about my club or derive pleasure from his injuries. I called him out on it (much to my Wife’s bemusement and embarrassment) and he went silent and very sheepish.

Travelling down to the match - so much apprehension and uncertainty about the team. Cocu nearly played the perfect game (bar Flo Jo) in my view with the squad available.  

The game itself had the perfect start, with the return of an old friend. A game that we controlled for the most part. The rollercoaster week, taking another turn when we again concede from a cross/set piece. An equaliser, from a fantastic strike and the softest penalty I’ve seen for many months!

Then a change in formation and Marriott  and Bogle from the bench bringing vitality and further movement. The script written and up steps Paterson with a one-on-one. Finished calmly in a situation thay Derbt have failed to convert so many times previously.

A special mention for the Captain. Immense today despite the goals concede. A model professional and a leader. So positive to see him marshalling the troops and showing leadership.

This end just felt right after this week and no matter how hard it’s been! 

With everything that has happened at this club in the past week, how great is it to see a player fight his way back in to the first team out of obscurity through sheer hard work and determination? A player we had all seemingly wrote off at the start of the season, who simply wants to give his all for this club. Chris Martin has done himself and this club proud. Amazing!

22 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Homes was excellent first half. As posted before he isn’t 90 mins fit yet

He was great, just thought he gave the ball away sloppily a few times. 

22 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I was [am] a big Martin fan his footballing brain and skill make up for his lack of pace .But there is more to it than that ,we have been a bit of a soft touch for a while now and Chris Martin is no soft touch and it does matter. You don't dick CM around welcome back..

I was a big Martin fan a season before he went. When he did play his last game ( against burton I think) he looked overweight, slow and looked like he couldn’t give a poo. He did need moving on.

However he has come back looking fitter than he’s ever been. His style of play we have missed so much. I think he could be a massive player this season.

1 hour ago, Ruda Harliss said:

I was a big Martin fan a season before he went. When he did play his last game ( against burton I think) he looked overweight, slow and looked like he couldn’t give a poo. He did need moving on.

However he has come back looking fitter than he’s ever been. His style of play we have missed so much. I think he could be a massive player this season.

I think this is why I so dislike getting on an anti/pro bandwagon for individuals. It’s a team game. If a player has attributes that suit a certain style and the spirit to get down and fight then anything is possible. 

If you’re picked by the boss and give it all you’ve got, then i’m supporting  you. 

Dowell, Malone, FLOJO, chris Martin, doesn’t matter. 

1 hour ago, Ruda Harliss said:

This is pure garbage  - his last match before being moved on ( to Reading  Jan 18) was Brum away - he came on as a sub and looked fine. He had also had a few good performances the previous November but the signing of Cameron Jerome by Gary Rowett meant he wasn't wanted by that wonderful manager, 

Bit late to the party with my thoughts on today’s game, but FWIW, I think we showed exactly the sort of spirit we as fans were hoping to see today. Team really did us proud in difficult circumstances. Was it a perfect polished performance? No, far from it, and there’s a lot to work on before we’re that standard. But did every player on the pitch give their absolute all To make sure the fans had at least something to be proud of about their team this week? Yes they did.

We saw much more energy in the press and effort from all the players than we’ve seen so far this season. Made sure to close the opposition down for once (to good effect!) and battled for Every ball, never giving up. That’s the sort of attitude that should be expected every week, but has been missing so far this season. Bad apples out the dressing room perhaps? Who knows, but the players definitely gave us a team for the fans and manager to be proud of, which is exactly what we all needed after this mess. And we saw some decent football as well to boot, with much more quick one touch moves that we’ve seen so far thus season, enabling us to actually create some clear cut chances. All in all a good day in a bad week. My ratings:

Roos 6- Dreadful command of his box As usual, but pen saved made up for it and got us the points. Still think we need a more reliable presence though and can’t persist with him.

Lowe 7- Couple of times caught out of position (lack of support from the wing may be a factor), but another good performance on the ball in an unnatural role

Bielik 5- Struggled and looks uncomfortable at CB. Looked slow and ponderous and kept giving the ball away. Don’t think he can play this role

Davies 8- Looked back to his best, imperious at the back alongside an unknown and out of position partner, and lead the team by example. Proper captains performance on a very tough day, and his performance shouldn’t go under appreciated in that sense. Was even actually pretty good on the ball too!

Malone 6- Decent going forward, but poor at times in defence. Standard.

Huddlestone 6- Some decent play getting out the back, but gave the ball away too much again with some stupid long balls

Holmes 8- Immense first half, driving forward and creating chances. Went off the boil as he tired

Paterson 9 MOM- Amazing performance. Brilliant technical ability, got better and better as his confidence grew. Created so many good chances, what a game.

Waghorn 7- Gave the ball away too much but worked hard as usual and an excellent finish 

Martin 9- Just pipped as my MOM mainly since Pato played the full 90, but what a performance. Brilliant assist, and some great linkup play. Looked fitter and more like pre Clement Martin.

Josefzoon 6- Actually not so bad in general play, think there is a player in there when he’s got players close to him. But he looks totally shot of confidence. Difficult to know what’s best to do with him to try and get his confidence back.

Subs:

Bogle 6- Some decent touches, glad he’s back

Marriott 7- Came on with a point to prove and did well, battled hard and played some decent passes, along with an excellent assist. We’ve got good quality in the ST role

Knight N/A

So so nice to have that winning feeling back. That’s my first win in person this season!

Really glad that they didn't score that penalty. Not just because we'd probably have got nothing from that game if they did, but because after setting off flares at 2-1 down and chucking them on the pitch at 2-2, I'm scared to think what the Brum fans would have done if they were actually winning the game.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Knight N/A

I thought Knight had an impressive all be it brief cameo. Won a strong challenge (more than Huddlestone and Holmes did all game) and set up an attack in the same move.

The midfield was being over run in the second half and think if he had been on earlier then it could have been less nerve wracking.

Exciting game. Wasn't impressed with Paterson for the first 60 minutes or so - he also stood off their man for their 2nd goal. He did well in the final 30 though.

Roos - not good enough in the air but saved the penno well.

Martin or Davies MOTM in different ways. Martin took his goal well, led the line well and set up Waghorn for the 2nd. Davies sorted things out well at the back. He needs to tell Malone to look and pass forwards.

A very important result. Looking forwards to Barnsley.

32 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I thought Knight had an impressive all be it brief cameo. Won a strong challenge (more than Huddlestone and Holmes did all game) and set up an attack in the same move.

The midfield was being over run in the second half and think if he had been on earlier then it could have been less nerve wracking.

May seem churlish of me but we had no strength in midfield at all at any point today and Brum waltzed through us all game. Our very quick counter won us through but we need to sort this soon because it is the cause of all of our frailty this season. 

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

May seem churlish of me but we had no strength in midfield at all at any point today and Brum waltzed through us all game. Our very quick counter won us through but we need to sort this soon because it is the cause of all of our frailty this season. 

I totally agree, the only thing I’d change is that it’s been a frailty for several seasons.

So, I go away for one week and what happens! Yes no internet so what could possibly go wrong? 

Captain injured in a bad car crash and out for the season whilst 2 other players are arrested for drink driving 

meanwhile I lend my season ticket to a blues fan ( she gets me one for the away game) we win 

again chris Martin has now scored twice with one assist in about nearly 90 minutes and I missed it ! But I kept saying and saying that good players don’t stop being good players 

Curtis Davies comes in and does what he does - actually defend 

Paterson - even an ex red dog gets the winner 

roos - saves a penalty ( we seem to be giving one away every game are we not ) 

anyway UTR 

Archived