v Forest (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

RiddingsRam

8 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

That's a strange comment, you are aware our under 18's won their league, and the national final last season?

So actually, they were the best that England had to offer and we do have a lot of quality coming through in that age group, which is the one that the players we have been blooding in these games came from.

Really ? And how many of them will end up at top teams ? How many will represent England at senior level ?

Do you really believe Derby have the pick of the best players coming through ?

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Justa said:

Really ? And how many of them will end up at top teams ? How many will represent England at senior level ?

Do you really believe Derby have the pick of the best players coming through ?

How can anyone know that at this point in their development? It depends on so many variables that no one can know or predict with any certainty at this moment in time.

But at this stage, they only need to be good enough for us, and as we are currently a Championship club, I'm sure the fact that they beat the 'top teams' youngsters to the league tells us that they are more than good enough for us.

I didn't say that. I said in the age group that won the u18 league last season, we have quality, these are the players we have been playing.

It's not an easy match to judge for a few reasons: 1) It was an XI that have never played together which showed. 2) too many young players showing poor discipline let the senior players down. 3) lack of leadership let the younger players down. 

If Forest missed a step then we may have well been okay, but they played very well. 

New manager with no experience of British football let alone the championship or a real concept of local rivalry between ourselves and the butt plugs.

Disappointing result and performance,especially with Present results not having been as good as they could have been. However wrongly or rightly first team players rested and no injuries,first team experience for players considered to be on the fringe. Bogle and Holmes to come back. 

Cocu on a learning curve,but he needs to learn quick ,pocession football with poor results won't win him many supporters. I appreciate he is in it for the long term but needs to decide upon his preferred eleven and get them performing as a team as best he can until we are able to strengthen.However Jozebafoon  playing ???? and waggers playing almost by himself upfront doesn't excite me for the future.

Let's give the guy some time and  the team an opportunity to settle let's also remember we have lost a serious number of quality players from last season who we were very fortunate to have had.

Just hope having rested players Cocu has a better understanding of his entire squad ,and  a plan for winning starting saturday.

32 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We were never really staring down the gun of relegation in the November of 95.

You may have a point because it was early (AS IT IS NOW), but I'll wager my house that you werenot telling people to calm down because Jim was an experienced manager.

The reality is, neither of us know how Cocu will turn out. I'm just okay with giving the guy a chance and not hanging him after a handful of games. 

Remember this table after 10 games under the Bald Eagle and being 1 point above the relegation spots?

2019-08-27_17-59-52.jpg

22 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

You sign Rooney because investors are attracted by high profile names (not that his recent publicity is that positive).

You try to bring in investment because you cannot buy in the Mounts, Tomoris and Wilsons without the funding (or Chelsea contacts).

The other route is to develop the academy but that takes longer and it means giving the kids experience, including big games.

Of course, like everyone else, I want us to beat Forest but I'm not sure the first team would have done that.

Everyone needs to get real. We're not that good. We lost our three best players from last year and we cannot afford to replace them. Cocu has to be allowed to develop the youngsters.

I'm amazed at the responses on here.

Some of you lot would rather sack Cocu and bring in Warnock!!! Fer chrissekes, that'd be great, eh? << Sarcasm.

Promotion followed immediately by relegation while playing hoof ball. No thanks. 

I've no problem with Cocu at all so far.

Team selection was fair enough tonight, I like the direction we're heading in and realise it will take time.

I also don't think our first 11 is that far off a top 6 side, which I know is not a popular opinion, ,but the depth is inexperienced and unproven, as such games such as tonight's will prove invaluable in sorting the wheat from the chaff amongst the experienced professionals while providing Cocu with more information on which junior members can make the step up if needed.

Regardless of that though, you don't sign Rooney to consolidate a mid table finish, but to accelerate progress.

52 minutes ago, Justa said:

I think this is a good point as PSV and Ajax survive and punch above their weight developing young players - often the best that Holland has to offer - we just don’t have the same quality coming through 

Arent our youngsters performing at the top level and winning competitions?

I have to say I thought the ref was pretty poor tonight.

The 2 penalty shouts I couldn't judge either way, but he seemed all too willing to book Derby players for 1st offences, while ignoring the countless fouls their No. 17 made breaking up play, must have been at least 7 fouls unpunished, all minor mind, but enough to see a card for repeated foul play.

13 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

You may have a point because it was early (AS IT IS NOW), but I'll wager my house that you werenot telling people to calm down because Jim was an experienced manager.

The reality is, neither of us know how Cocu will turn out. I'm just okay with giving the guy a chance and not hanging him after a handful of games. 

Remember this table after 10 games under the Bald Eagle and being 1 point above the relegation spots?

2019-08-27_17-59-52.jpg

To be honest at that time I was drinking a lot of beer and spending a lot of time at house music clubs- using or working in .   I never really had an opinion. I certainly can't remember being concerned .  I am now . 

39 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

The idea that losing at Forest is ok, let alone by that scoreline, shows how low our expectations have fallen. 

Those fans who have said this ( there are loads and loads on here) are embarrassing 

I for one have never said 'it's okay'

But I do see a bigger, much bigger, picture.

It sucks now, but will you change your opinion if we beat Forest to a playoff spot and then get promoted because they lost some key players from injuries sustained in this sham of a competition?

I'm not saying that is going to happen, obviously. But it's tricky seeing the big picture when you can't see the big picture.

Go and look at the comments on the 'Other Sport' board after England got bowled out for 60something.

Who would seriously now wish that any other way?

From great depths come great highs.

Deep breaths and let's wait and see.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To be honest at that time I was drinking a lot of beer and spending a lot of time at house music clubs- using or working in .   I never really had an opinion. I certainly can't remember being concerned .  I am now . 

Progress?

Russell is a friend of mine and I spent a lot of 'lost it' nights there.

18 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

2019-08-27_17-59-52.jpg

And... Millwall ended up being relegated! (They were top in December if I remember).

Not an ideal result tonight, but far too early to be pushing the panic button.

Archived