Radio Draby: Eric Steele

DCFC Ram

just 'What he said.'

I didn't listen to him pre-match or during it. I listened to him post-match.

What a refreshing change it was to listen to an ex-player (or player for that matter) speaking complete sense about a match that he had watched. He was mature, calm, measured and precise in his points. No laddish banter, no mangled words, no contradictory rants, no showing off about himself and his past exploits, no pointless aggression - just wise words.

It is a shame that we haven't had the benefit of Eric's wisdom over the past few years as things have unravelled after Christmas. I'm sure that his wisdom would have been helpful when we needed it.

Long may it continue. Thanks Eric.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Totally agree. Wish he was on every week. Might talk some sense into Dawes, too ? 

He pretty much restrains Dawes with his common sense.

Dawes and Ramma just feed off each other’s hysterical over reactions and negativity. Eric analyses the game from high, sees things and explains them with the wisdom of a man that clearly has been a top coach and can eloquently convey his thoughts; precisely why he was a top coach imo.

Would be so good to hear him every week.

41 minutes ago, superzak said:

He certainly wasnt a fan of Lawrence wandering all over the park unbalancing  the side...

I think that's the way Cocu sets up, essentially Lawrence is the most talented player we have in the final third so he gets a free role. Last season, he held his width more due to Wilson cutting in, he's essentially now filling that role in our team. He's a good team player, works hard, but he just isn't that consistent. Lolley is a player similarly as talented but has learnt to use his ability much more consistently and effectively. It took him a few years, before last season he had never scored more than 5 goals despite showing glipses of ability. He will get the freedom in this team because quite simply we don't have anyone else at this moment in time. 

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I think that's the way Cocu sets up, essentially Lawrence is the most talented player we have in the final third so he gets a free role. Last season, he held his width more due to Wilson cutting in, he's essentially now filling that role in our team. He's a good team player, works hard, but he just isn't that consistent. Lolley is a player similarly as talented but has learnt to use his ability much more consistently and effectively. It took him a few years, before last season he had never scored more than 5 goals despite showing glipses of ability. He will get the freedom in this team because quite simply we don't have anyone else at this moment in time. 

Is Lolly Lawrence? Not sure where the "...never scored more than 5 goals..." comes from. He scored 11 on loan at Ipswich - 9 in the league and 2 in FA cup - in less than 3/4 of a season. For Derby he scored 6 in his first season and 6 last season.

Quite possible I've completely misunderstood your post - I seem to be having lots of senior moments recently.

21 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Yes consistency definitely the issue. Shame as Lawrence has a lot of natural ability.  

Archived