Cocu - the new Bobby Robson

RamNut

Thats who he reminds me of so far.

looks like a decent chap but with a steely determination. Former international player. Calm. Enthusiastic. Respectful of senior pros and enthusiastic about young player development. Quite technical as a coach. Doesn't look like he'd take any poo. 

bobby robson was Derby's first choice to replace Brian Clough, but he was far too sensible to leave Ipswich for the circus of trying to step into Brian Cloughs shoes. And also probably was respectful of Cloughie and his position. He patiently built a great team, winning the f a cup and finishing runners up in the league.

this is light years ahead of phil brown, paul jewell, and some of the roosters we've appointed.

hopefully he gets his first home win and its another good day.

nice one melvyn.....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Thats who he reminds me of so far.

looks like a decent chap but with a steely determination. Former international player. Calm. Enthusiastic. Respectful of senior pros and enthusiastic about young player development. Quite technical as a coach. Doesn't look like he'd take any poo. 

bobby robson was Derby's first choice to replace Brian Clough, but he was far too sensible to leave Ipswich for the circus of trying to step into Brian Cloughs shoes. And also probably was respectful of Cloughie and his position. He patiently built a great team, winning the f a cup and finishing runners up in the league.

this is light years ahead of phil brown, paul jewell, and some of the roosters we've appointed.

hopefully he gets his first home win and its another good day.

nice one melvyn.....

He’s no Bergkamp though is he?

1 minute ago, Anon said:

I would support Cocu, but it turns out I'm a snowflake who doesn't feel personally validated unless a manager waves at me on request.

The absolute state of some of the people who text into Radio Derby...

Really? ?

Pride Park often makes me think about how people cope with real life tests. 

1 minute ago, dcfcfan1 said:

He does need time though. How many fans will want him out if we come 9th or 10th this season?

Same amount of people who always look to be angry about something because they live frustrated lives with a negative mindset.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Same amount of people who always look to be angry about something because they live frustrated lives with a negative mindset.

Thing is, I wouldnt mind a season of developing a style and finishing middtable-ish (not saying we will, but not the end of the world if it happens)

Difficult to tell so far, but he certainly seems a very calm and reserved bloke. Seen a few today moaning about him not giving enough to the fans- personally I don’t mind that at all. No problem with a manager avoiding the sideshow and just putting his full attention on the match at hand and getting the result in whichever way is needed- after all, that’s his job. Sure you might lose a bit of fan-coaching staff unity, which was a big thing last season in all fairness, but I can’t say it bothers me if the manager just wants to get on with the tactics on the pitch.

He certainly seems like a very focused, intelligent bloke. A proper student of the game, seems to analyse everything in detail, which should bode well to us once he gets a grip on our teams strengths and weaknesses. Certainly seems to have the foundations of a successful ideology on the pitch anyway. Certainly more than some of the dinosaurs of the past. Just hope we’ve not left him short of the personnel he needs in attack to make us a proper team

3 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

He does need time though. How many fans will want him out if we come 9th or 10th this season?

Considering we have just signed a player from Arsenal for a reported fee rising to £10m, and England legend Wazza Rooney on £80k a week, a position of 9th /10th in the championship is most certainly not acceptable. We have to be looking at auto promotion or at least another Wembley play off final. Mr Cocu will be well aware of this. 

12 minutes ago, europia said:

Considering we have just signed a player from Arsenal for a reported fee rising to £10m, and England legend Wazza Rooney on £80k a week, a position of 9th /10th in the championship is most certainly not acceptable. We have to be looking at auto promotion or at least another Wembley play off final. Mr Cocu will be well aware of this. 

no pressure there then

11 minutes ago, europia said:

Its not addressed out weakness this season though , i,e midfield and wingers. Rooney (we dont know how good he will be for the championship) and Bielik Im sure will be a top class DM (locked down for next few years so we dont have to worry about that position). I still think our squads weaker than last season BUT with 2/3 seasons cocu can get us up WHILST increasing our clubs profile and youth infrastructre

4 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Its not addressed out weakness this season though , i,e midfield and wingers. Rooney (we dont know how good he will be for the championship) and Bielik Im sure will be a top class DM (locked down for next few years so we dont have to worry about that position). I still think our squads weaker than last season BUT with 2/3 seasons cocu can get us up WHILST increasing our clubs profile and youth infrastructre

I think there really is a danger of DCFC becoming the perennial  'next seasons team' 

42 minutes ago, europia said:

I think there really is a danger of DCFC becoming the perennial  'next seasons team' 

40 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

"becoming"?

We've been the "next year is our year" team for the last 4 seasons now , we are starting to sound like Liverpool fans, it can't always be next year.

Archived