Kieran Dowell - Loan terminated; sent to Wigan

BagRam

10 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I just don’t see where he fits in personally. If we play him in midfield, he’s potentially going to create more problems than he solves because he’s lightweight, not very tenacious and seemingly mercurial. And if we play him out wide, it’s at the expense of more explosive players like Jozefzoon, Bennett and Lawrence.

?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although the Dowell-Shinnie-Holmes triumvirate looks exciting in terms of going forward, I think there will be occasions when they get badly overrun by more muscular teams. I reckon a younger version of Bradley Johnson would fit in very nicely into that midfield three, and rotate Holmes/Dowell. 

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

At Forest, we’ve heard that he was good for half a season, or good in fits and starts. 3 of his 9 goals came in one match away at Hull. So what is there to be excited about?

When Bryson scored 16 goals, half of his golas were in 3 games, and he won player of the year that year. 

16 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Although the Dowell-Shinnie-Holmes triumvirate looks exciting in terms of going forward, I think there will be occasions when they get badly overrun by more muscular teams. I reckon a younger version of Bradley Johnson would fit in very nicely into that midfield three, and rotate Holmes/Dowell. 

I see where you are coming from but I'm not convinced this is true. 

I can think of plenty of times we've got overrun with Johnson in midfield whilst the midfield of Eustace-Hughes-Bryson barely ever got overran and you can argue that was a light midfield.

I don't think we need someone of Johnson's mould but someone who is a bit sturdier whilst still being good on the ball wouldn't go amiss.

5 minutes ago, rynny said:

When Bryson scored 16 goals, half of his golas were in 3 games, and he won player of the year that year. 

But that year, Bryson also was heavily involved in general play and developed a key partnership with Martin. It wasn’t just about his goals. It was his all round contribution, even though there was a case for 5-6 players to win player of the year that year.

If Dowell is going to score goals and offer a lot in general play, then great! Again, I really hope he comes in and runs riot for us, but I am not convinced he will.

Anyway, I am just trying to do my laundry, and then go out to a museum and have food and wine in the sunshine.

Stop quoting me, please. ?

24 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Wanted a midfield enforcer for a few years now, someone ugly, not afraid to get a boot in and demand the ball is his. 2-0 down frothing at the mouth looking for the team to step it up.

Holmes and Dowell would terrify defences, but as you say would be overrun without a bully in there to win the ball for them.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Wanted a midfield enforcer for a few years now, someone ugly, not afraid to get a boot in and demand the ball is his. 2-0 down frothing at the mouth looking for the team to step it up.

Holmes and Dowell would terrify defences, but as you say would be overrun without a bully in there to win the ball for them.

I'd say that's all well and good but they need to be comfortable to be involved with and make themselves available in our build up play. It's no good having someone great at outmuscling opposition if the play breaks down with them constantly. 

It weirdly seems to come back to him a lot but Eustace struck a good balance with this. And then Thorne (when fully fit) was the best player I've seen in this division at it.

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'd say that's all well and good but they need to be comfortable to be involved with and make themselves available in our build up play. It's no good having someone great at outmuscling opposition if the play breaks down with them constantly. 

It weirdly seems to come back to him a lot but Eustace struck a good balance with this. And then Thorne (when fully fit) was the best player I've seen in this division at it.

Definitely, I don’t want a full on Scott Brown or anything like that, couldn’t even name you a player that I would like to fill that role. A Championship Patrick Vieira the blueprint.

18 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

But that year, Bryson also was heavily involved in general play and developed a key partnership with Martin. It wasn’t just about his goals. It was his all round contribution, even though there was a case for 5-6 players to win player of the year that year.

If Dowell is going to score goals and offer a lot in general play, then great! Again, I really hope he comes in and runs riot for us, but I am not convinced he will.

Anyway, I am just trying to do my laundry, and then go out to a museum and have food and wine in the sunshine.

Stop quoting me, please. ?

Ok mate we will do ??

7 minutes ago, David said:

Definitely, I don’t want a full on Scott Brown or anything like that, couldn’t even name you a player that I would like to fill that role. A Championship Patrick Vieira the blueprint.

Glenn Kamara (Rangers) would of been perfect for what you're asking for. Class act. 

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Glenn Kamara (Rangers) would of been perfect for what you're asking for. Class act. 

Remember when he was linked, looked a handful on the clips which were shared but haven’t seen a great deal of him to be honest.

1 hour ago, desirelines said:

That chap who always rings radio Derby reckons Keogh can do a job in midfield, sorted! 

1 hour ago, David said:

I assumed with Shinnie being a former full-back and Scottish that would be him...

31 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Big bad Tom Lawrence will be our enforcer once he's had his eyebrows threaded.

All joking aside - It may have been the quality of the video but did Lawrence look like he'd been hitting the gym over the summer? Looked much broader in the shoulder and first half I kept thinking it was the new 'trimmer' Martin on the pitch when he was on the ball

Archived