Radio Derby Phone-in

RoyMac5

9 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Oh gods, it's gonna be uncle 'Arry, innit?

I was thinking 'Oh Gods, it's going to be Wenger isn't it?' and then I thought that if we are really starting on this journey we need to make sure the first few steps are in the right direction. For what we were paying Johnson and Butterfield a week I am sure we could get a few months of a real top, recently moved on, coach. Why not? You don't buy the house of your dreams and then get your mate in to fix the bathroom (unless your mate is a top notch plumber of course but I'm a pen pusher so I have no friends who actually do anything useful in life).

P.S. Mel was excellent again, I totally agree with the point that he has obviously worked hard to learn how to be a football chairman. It's not as simple as throwing a cheque book at it or rolling out some soundbites and he has clearly worked that out.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ilkleyram said:

A much better programme without Ramage.

Even better if it was without ed dawes. Several negative references to schteve which i'm surprised eric let him get away with. 

11 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Long term vision? ? Our track record with managers doesn’t lend well to the term “future vision”. We’ve had 7 managers since May 2015 (when Mel took fully over) and were is the vision there? 

11 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

To be fair to Mel, with Rowett and Frank they were both pinched and he seems to have matured since the Clement/Dazwaz/Pearson/Mac2 couple of monster years...

I don't think it's fair to lay Mac, Clement and Pearson at Mel's door - He was letting Rush take most of the decisions at that point by all accounts

Since Rush left he brought in Rowett, Lampard and Cocu which were all long term potential type appointments - And he's made £10m (rumoured) on managers in 2 years...

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Even better if it was without ed dawes. Several negative references to schteve which i'm surprised eric let him get away with. 

Although I did notice Mel's, "Thanks Chris, and always a pleasure to speak to you Eric" before hanging up. Even though Ed Dawes was there and had asked questions.
Maybe the viscous negativity of Dawes (except when we score 90th minute winners) has been noted.

Mel really is coming out of this very well.  He’s been been dignified throughout - a class act.  And he’s pulled a rabbit out of the hat with Cocu.  I’d have been very despondent if we’d lost Lampard and replaced him with one of the usual suspects, but I’m buzzing again and very glad I’ve got a season ticket for next year!

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

What does Arsene Wenger know about the Championship to be able to help cocu navigate it?

"Scho Arsene, we are in this place Huuderschfield. How are we getting there?"

"Ai don know....I didn't seee eet. Zis is not acceptable...."

Etc...?

Didn’t know he was German!

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I don't think it's fair to lay Mac, Clement and Pearson at Mel's door - He was letting Rush take most of the decisions at that point by all accounts

Since Rush left he brought in Rowett, Lampard and Cocu which were all long term potential type appointments - And he's made £10m (rumoured) on managers in 2 years...

That’s a very fair point ?

6 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

That would be Strasbourg the capital of alsace (which google tells me is called something different now)?

Wikipedia confirms that it is Alsace that has flicked between Germany and France; not just Strasbourg.

Always thought it was funny that Arsene never lost his accent and got a Cockney twang though admittedly, the German type accents are very hard to lose. 

22 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I would think that £10 million is a long way off the mark. £2 million for Rowett is pretty much confirmed, and £4 million for Frank is the rumour that has been around for a long time. I don't think we got any more for Rowett's back room staff, but even at a million I really can't see that we've got £3 million more for the two that Frank has taken with him. A more probable £7 million total is still very helpful mind.

Archived