Radio Derby Phone-in

RoyMac5

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Ramathorn said:

Random thought. Mel’s wording around something to happen in the next few days to help with the transition, he was quite guarded about giving too many clues. Perhaps it’s not just a coach, but perhaps it’s some investment _and_ a coach; lets face it, we’re a pretty attractive investment opportunity with Cocu at the wheel.

Now... who was it who earlier in the year was interested in buying a club and supposedly had investment from an unnamed group of investors ?

spacer.png

Well he is fluent in both English and Dutch so that would help ?

That interview with Mel was top drawer!! Well done radio Derby and Mel! The insight he provided into the decision, into Cocu and his coaching staff and the way he works was about as open and transparent as you can be. His logic was spot on and very interesting Cocu and his team had done their own research on us and one of his first questions was around how good is your academy and what are you doing on data analytics, sport science etc. 

This guy could be brilliant and he’s coming into a team that plays the same way he likes to. People have mentioned Frank de Boer, I think he replaced Allardyce and tried to convert too quickly to his style, it’s the reverse of what Nigel Pearson did here. This is a much lower risk.

2 hours ago, David said:

I'm guessing it's been hot in Derby today, suns out and some of you lot have been out drinking.

Managed out in the Netherlands, can speak fluent Dutch, I can see the logic in thinking Steve McClaren until you remember he has managed the club twice and been sacked in the space of 2 years.

Does anyone seriously and I mean seriously think, he would return for what would be his 4th time at the club as just a coach having previously been the manager and assistant manager, do you honestly think he would lower himself to that position?

Even slotting him into this director of football role, I just don't see it.

My guess is that Steve McClaren's next move would be abroad, possibly managing in India, do a Phil Brown and John Gregory or even China and I would pay good money to watch his press conference out there. 

Good call. For managers who don't want to slide down the divisions, working in the developing nations is perhaps, a favourable option. Maybe doesn't seem like such a good idea a few months on though....

Steve McClaren's son still works for the club as a scout though right? I don't think bridges have been burned as badly as some think, but I agree it would be an unexpected move given the way Mac II ended. Wasn't the rumour that he lost the dressing room completely?

The mystery English coach with recent championship experience..... What's Lee Carsley doing now? Another (less appealing to me) possibility is Kevin Phillips.

However, my guess would be Big Dave. He needs a way back into football so could use it as a stepping stone, much like McClaren did at QPR.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

The mystery English coach with recent championship experience..... What's Lee Carsley doing now? Another (less appealing to me) possibility is Kevin Phillips

How about Iain Dowie? Ticks all (most) (some) (none) of the boxes!

Wonderful to hear Mel talk but did anyone else notice that he was in full flow talking about the conversations with Cocu & then they stopped Mel and changed the subject.

Mel obviously had more to say & i wanted to know what Cocu knew of Derby & the Championship in general.

Also I would have liked them to ask if there was any news on investors.

Still a good show though

Archived