Radio Derby Phone-in

RoyMac5

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only listened to the second half but was impressed tonight, felt like they’d all done their research and it made for a much better show. Steele is a breath of fresh air, I could listen to him talk about football all day. Thought Chris Coles is sounding like he’s starting to settle down too.

Might go to pot once Ramage returns but I hope they don’t just take any positive feedback as being ‘oh we had Mel on’. Research, reasonable debate and informative guests (and not some bloke because hes a fan with a blog, with apologies to anyone who’s actually been on who comments/reads on here), is what they need more of. Not random callers to fill an hour.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Can't believe Mel would have Mac back. But thought he was keen to talk with Steeley?

I doubt it would be Eric Steele. Tonight sounded like the first time they had spoken since the worked here the last time. It sounds like whoever it is is already at an advanced stage.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Could someone be a true gent/lady and provide a summary of what was said? What’s this about a DoF?

Both Phil and Mel did extensive research before meeting. One of Phils main interests was the quality of the academy. Nothing explicitly about a DoF - just hinted at some new arrival to help Cocu adapt to the Championship. Mel is confident we will have a chance at some of the better academy prospects once Frank is sorted and talks have already been held in that regard.

Thats pretty much all i can remember.

I'm guessing it's been hot in Derby today, suns out and some of you lot have been out drinking.

Managed out in the Netherlands, can speak fluent Dutch, I can see the logic in thinking Steve McClaren until you remember he has managed the club twice and been sacked in the space of 2 years.

Does anyone seriously and I mean seriously think, he would return for what would be his 4th time at the club as just a coach having previously been the manager and assistant manager, do you honestly think he would lower himself to that position?

Even slotting him into this director of football role, I just don't see it.

My guess is that Steve McClaren's next move would be abroad, possibly managing in India, do a Phil Brown and John Gregory or even China and I would pay good money to watch his press conference out there. 

31 minutes ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

Once again, very impressed by Morris this evening. Sensible, down to earth and has a clear long term vision and  sound philosophy. 

Sounds like a meeting of minds between himself, Pearson and the Cocu camp. Very promising for the future...

Pearson?

1 minute ago, David said:

My guess is that Steve McClaren's next move would be abroad, possibly managing in India, do a Phil Brown and John Gregory or even China and I would pay good money to watching his press conference out there. 

I think there's been some talk that he is going back to Holland to managed FC Twente again...

...but that doesn't fit my agenda so we'll ignore that!

#MAC3

post match GIF

14 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Could someone be a true gent/lady and provide a summary of what was said? What’s this about a DoF?

They've considered the differences between the Dutch league/Europe and the Championship and there's someone who may be able to help with that but not ready to reveal anything yet. 

Mel did research on young players = success and found that at the top of the list was Pep and Klopp for playing players U23. 

Cocu was number 12. 

He would have got Pep if he could.

But yeah, for being succesful AND using young players (u23) Cocu is #12. 

Fair play to Harry redknapp the mans a genius, this whole saga was his master plan back into work. Encouraged Frank to go to Chelsea, told everyone in the media he was going so Frank couldn’t back out. As soon as it was sorted straight on the phone to Mel to bag his self another football advisory role. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

I'm guessing it's been hot in Derby today, suns out and some of you lot have been out drinking.

Managed out in the Netherlands, can speak fluent Dutch, I can see the logic in thinking Steve McClaren until you remember he has managed the club twice and been sacked in the space of 2 years.

Does anyone seriously and I mean seriously think, he would return for what would be his 4th time at the club as just a coach having previously been the manager and assistant manager, do you honestly think he would lower himself to that position?

Even slotting him into this director of football role, I just don't see it.

My guess is that Steve McClaren's next move would be abroad, possibly managing in India, do a Phil Brown and John Gregory or even China and I would pay good money to watching his press conference out there. 

Not seriously but....it makes a bit of sense  in an Occam’s Razor way (plus it would be funny).

Just to add more flames to the fire, a certain CM and GT are currently in Florida ?

Archived