Bradley Johnson - Signed for Blackburn

Sheikh n Bake

Good luck to him. His fee was always an issue, but as he proved last season he gave us the competitive battling qualities that you need in this division that we just didn’t have in our midfield.

He could be agricultural at times but he always tried to get us on the front foot and drive us forward, he would do the dirty work in midfield which allowed the others to play their game, he also ability to win the ball back on the deck or in the allowed us to attempt to play further up the pitch and apply more pressure also taking pressure off the defence.

I think he’ll be missed and whilst we have Shinnie I still think we’ll need another midfielder in the Bradley Johnson mould.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We seem to be haemorrhaging midfielders and getting nobody in .  We have one centre half and another who has not played for a year .  Is nobody concerned about this .  Only one true centre forward as well .  

As of right now, we still need to offload 1 or 2 before we even get someone in. Butterfield, Huddlestone and Thorne the most likely candidates. Only 1 CF?.. sure

DMs - Shinnie, Huddlestone, Thorne, Evans, Bird

CMs - Shinnie, Evans, Holmes, Butterfield, Bird, Knight, Sibley

AMs - Holmes, Lawrence, Butterfield, Sibley, Knight

CFs - Waghorn, Marriott, Martin, Bennett, Whittaker

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Marriott yes , Waghorn isn't an out and out centre forward for me, Martin was a good player for us- realistically he's not gone out on loan and showed us what were missing over the last two years .

Then what is Waggy to you if he isn't a centre forward? I'd argue Waghorn is more of a centre forward than Marriott is.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Then what is Waggy to you if he isn't a centre forward? I'd argue Waghorn is more of a centre forward than Marriott is.

He came to Derby based on his ability to cross and link up .  Still think he is better out wide .   An option to play up front as a pairing, but with one number nine likely to play it has to be Marriott for me . 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

That's certainly my take on it.  Waghorn is a much better all-round centre forward.  I'm yet to be convinced that Marriott is suited to playing up front on his own.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He came to Derby based on his ability to cross and link up .  Still think he is better out wide .   An option to play up front as a pairing, but with one number nine likely to play it has to be Marriott for me . 

Not sure I agree on this, our best spell of the season was when Waghorn was upfront as a 9, he isn't that effective as a wide player, since he isn't that quick or good at going round players, but is great with the ball into his feet and he holds it up well. Marriott wasn't that effective as a sole striker to me. Certainly not a 9. 

5 minutes ago, Jram said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned above, haven’t read the whole thing, but was it completely on a free? So is that a monstrous ffp loss then?

Sort of hoping that they cleared all this up with the stadium transaction in last years figures.  Still a bit shocked he went for 0 though.  Buying him and Butters really turning out to be shocking transfer window with enormous cost (transfer loss and wages)

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As of right now, we still need to offload 1 or 2 before we even get someone in. Butterfield, Huddlestone and Thorne the most likely candidates. Only 1 CF?.. sure

DMs - Shinnie, Huddlestone, Thorne, Evans, Bird

CMs - Shinnie, Evans, Holmes, Butterfield, Bird, Knight, Sibley

AMs - Holmes, Lawrence, Butterfield, Sibley, Knight

CFs - Waghorn, Marriott, Martin, Bennett, Whittaker

I don't think we're anywhere near as light in midfield as some people have suggested - We have loads of them 

BUT

We're light on runners - Holmes covers a lot of ground but the others (ignoring youf players who I don't know much about) aren't exactly players who run around a lot - You're not going to get much high pressing from them

3 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

Aw. I'm a bit sad about that. Bet they play him further forward and he has a good season.

2 hours ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

We've signed a defensive midfielder and although Johnston did play there it's not his role , to replace him in his stronger position aka more of an attacking midfielder we would struggle to replace him with 1mill 

2 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

It’s where he’s primarily played, you can argue it’s not his best position, at the age he is now I don’t know if I’d agree, the great season he had playing further forward was what? 4 years ago? 

We always assume he hasn’t been played in his best position, but he had one good season when he scored 16 goals. The remaining  years he averaged out at 4 goals per season, which is about similar to his dcfc stats. 

19 minutes ago, Jram said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned above, haven’t read the whole thing, but was it completely on a free? So is that a monstrous ffp loss then?

Hence the reason it's been done now and not last week. On July 1 we entered a new three year cycle. Other reports suggest we got £1m for him?

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I don't think we're anywhere near as light in midfield as some people have suggested - We have loads of them 

BUT

We're light on runners - Holmes covers a lot of ground but the others (ignoring youf players who I don't know much about) aren't exactly players who run around a lot - You're not going to get much high pressing from them

Totally agree. Especially as Lawrence will be playing on the wing and Butterfield will be on the way out.

If 433, the best we can currently start with is probably: Evans, Shinnie and Holmes; Bird, Huddlestone and Sibley as a backup options. Thorne and Knight further down the pecking order. In terms of signings, we could do with a more suitable starter instead of Evans and possibly stronger competition for Holmes.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We seem to be haemorrhaging midfielders and getting nobody in .  We have one centre half and another who has not played for a year .  Is nobody concerned about this .  Only one true centre forward as well .  

I agree we need to bring two or three in. But we need to get a few out first.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Totally agree. Especially as Lawrence will be playing on the wing and Butterfield will be on the way out.

If 433, the best we can currently start with is probably: Evans, Shinnie and Holmes; Bird, Huddlestone and Sibley as a backup options. Thorne and Knight further down the pecking order. In terms of signings, we could do with a more suitable starter instead of Evans and possibly stronger competition for Holmes.

I always simplify my midfield three needs to - Destroyer, Creator, Runner - And then if you can get players into those roles who are multi-talented then great (ie, Thorne replacing Eustace in 13/14)

For me Holmes is a multi-talented Runner - He's my Bryson replacement

Destroyers - Shinnie (I assume), Thorne, Evans

Creators - Huddlestone 

Runners - Holmes

Thorne at his peak is a Destroyer-Creator and Holmes is a Runner-Creator - But I think the others seem more one-dimensional (again Shinnie left out of that assessment for now)

I want a backup runner for Holmes and a proper multi-talented creator (like Hughes or Mount)

Archived