Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

No it isn't. It really isn't.

PSV won the league with nowhere near the finances of Ajax and after a spell of total domination from their rivals.

They also had to compete with a Feyenoord side who had a better squad than them (and more money to spend).

24 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I guess it's more like Arsenal (like PSV, still a big club in their respective league), but with a Watford budget

Exact specifics of the exact comparison aside I was actually making the point that winning 3 titles in 4 years with PSV is impressive

Ajax are always the big boys in that league - PSV have historically been the 'number 2 side' - But winning 3 in 4 years is impressive in a climate where Ajax are still strong (did alright in the Champions League anyway)

Still waiting for a camera shot or a video of Cocu in Florida.  I know it 6.30am but surely Cocu and his team are out putting cones down for training and filling the water bottles; its always good to impress on the first day in the job etc etc.

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Could he do it on a cold wet windy night in Stoke? ?

Exactly, he has zero Championship experience. Plus he would walk the minute another club came in for him.

I think a 94% approval rating from a small sample of 264 fans at the time of writing is as good as it gets for a club, they can sit back and crack open a bottle tonight knowing the fans are on board with their decision. 

Just has to get the results now....and entertain. No pressure.

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Could he do it on a cold wet windy night in Stoke? ?

Honestly this is going off topic a bit but I've always wondered as a passing thought how would different managers fair at different levels ? 

It'd be interesting to see if a manager is good regardless of the level they are at or do certain managers have the skill set to get the most out of players of that level. 

I think you can sort of see it the other way round where there are managers who are well regarded but seem to find a level or a niche they become known for. For example people such as Warnock who always seem to find a way to get a club promoted but can never really seem to take a club beyond that level. 

But is the opposite true ? Could someone like Guardiola take a club at any level and get them moving in the right direction ? 

It’s a great appointment, hugely ambitious and I’m really looking forward to his reign. If he only achieves half of what he did at PSV we’ll do well.

My one concern is actually similar to the one I had with Lampard, hopefully he learns quickly how this division works and gets the team balance (especially midfield) set up to suit the league. It took Frank a good while to get the midfield right, he finally started to get it when he bought BJ back into the team (the return of Mount also helped). 

In this league you to blend the quality with a few scrappers and battlers (players you wouldn’t need in the Prem or abroad), it takes some managers a while to take this on board. 

16 minutes ago, SuperFrankieL said:

What a great appointment for Derby! Kudos to Mel for taking Derby through all kinds of obstacles and still being so visionary with the direction of the club. I know the Chelsea fans aren't so popular right now but I just wanted to say I'm really glad I decided to follow Derby this season and there's so much I've learned about the club and the championship in general and someone's even started a post below bigging up the forum and I have to say I agree. This is one of the best football forums I've been on and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Wishing you folks all the best for the season coming up - hopefully see you in the prem sooner than later! 

Good post...for a Chelsea fan!

Now, would you rather have Lamps or Cocu as your manager for next season?

I’m not touching Reddit soccer again with a bargpole to see their views. They seem to worship Lampard’s feet and many are pooping on Cocu as a manager, laughing at anyone who thinks that Cocu is an upgrade on Lampard. Time will tell but this is one of the reason’s I’m glad that Lampard has gone, I was sick to death of the bumming and overrating of him when he was here . Yes he did a decent job and we have some fantastic memories like Leeds away, but the statistics will show his side scored less than Rowett’s side in the league.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Good post...for a Chelsea fan!

Now, would you rather have Lamps or Cocu as your manager for next season?

Now there’s a question!

Take away Lampards name and there is no way you would have him over Cocu based on their records.

Just now, McLovin said:

I’m not touching Reddit soccer again with a bargpole to see their views. They seem to worship Lampard’s feet and many are pooping on Cocu as a manager, laughing at anyone who thinks that Cocu is an upgrade on Lampard. Time will tell but this is one of the reason’s I’m glad that Lampard has gone, I was sick to death of the bumming and overrating of him when he was here . Yes he did a decent job and we have some fantastic memories like Leeds away, but the statistics will show his side scored less than Rowett’s side in the league.

Always found Reddit to be more US based in general, not that their opinions are not valid, just an observation. I guess "soccer" is a bit of a clue.

1 minute ago, LB_DCFC said:

I'm honestly getting a little teary eyed at my desk...

And that's not just the affect the new orange forum is having on my eyes (LOVE the new colour scheme btw @David - Genuinely makes me a little happier every time I see it)

1 minute ago, DJFern94 said:

In an alternate universe image.thumb.png.05c70ef0044dbcbcded2858702a73959.png

Could you imagine a manager actually saying that bottom option ? 

I bet Phillip has long muted the Turkish language on social media ? 

Plenty of support from PSV and dutch fans, but those Fenerbahce folk really are a toxic bunch.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I bet Phillip has long muted the Turkish language on social media ? 

Plenty of support from PSV and dutch fans, but those Fenerbahce folk really are a toxic bunch.

Wasn't there long enough to pick up the language, did his press conferences in English so probably just scrolling through Ja Ja Ja Ja Ja.....

Archived