Phillip Cocu, Chris Van der Weerden & Twan Scheepers

Nuwtfly

Phillip Cocu  

695 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 minutes ago, David said:

Exactly, he has zero Championship experience. Plus he would walk the minute another club came in for him.

I think a 94% approval rating from a small sample of 264 fans at the time of writing is as good as it gets for a club, they can sit back and crack open a bottle tonight knowing the fans are on board with their decision. 

Just has to get the results now....and entertain. No pressure.

@David

A large favour.....please delete and hide the poll from Pearson's appointment . ....pretty please 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Good post...for a Chelsea fan!

Now, would you rather have Lamps or Cocu as your manager for next season?

Going purely by managerial CV, it would be Cocu but Lamps brings a lot and there's someone finally who really gets the club and has the tools to succeed here and he's our greatest ever player. If you 'remove the name' anyone would take Cocu but that's not how it works really. Lampard is a work in progress but a lot of people have faith in his abilities - including me. I'm generally quite patient and supportive - be it with Sarri, Mourinho, Conte or whoever - and I will be with Lamps too. I've seen first hand the mistakes he's made with Derby this season but he also brings quite a lot of intangibles that will help our club with the place it's in at the moment. Appointing Cech as a technical director is another good step that will help Lampard undoubtedly. Too often we've missed a proper link between the board and the manager in recent seasons. Lampard pretty much means everything to us Chelsea fans so the prospect of having him manage us is super exciting at the least.

5 minutes ago, SuperFrankieL said:

Going purely by managerial CV, it would be Cocu but Lamps brings a lot and there's someone finally who really gets the club and has the tools to succeed here and he's our greatest ever player. If you 'remove the name' anyone would take Cocu but that's not how it works really. Lampard is a work in progress but a lot of people have faith in his abilities - including me. I'm generally quite patient and supportive - be it with Sarri, Mourinho, Conte or whoever - and I will be with Lamps too. I've seen first hand the mistakes he's made with Derby this season but he also brings quite a lot of intangibles that will help our club with the place it's in at the moment. Appointing Cech as a technical director is another good step that will help Lampard undoubtedly. Too often we've missed a proper link between the board and the manager in recent seasons. Lampard pretty much means everything to us Chelsea fans so the prospect of having him manage us is super exciting at the least.

I think my take on it has been the Lampard showed enough that he's got the talents to be a manager, probably a very good one but it's probably a bit like if you decided Mason Mount was who you were going to have the whole team playing for next season.

I just hope it does work out for all concerned. And to be honest, leaving for Chelsea is a whole lot more palatable than if he'd left for PL stragglers (but I don't think he would've being the guy he is)

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Honestly this is going off topic a bit but I've always wondered as a passing thought how would different managers fair at different levels ? 

It'd be interesting to see if a manager is good regardless of the level they are at or do certain managers have the skill set to get the most out of players of that level. 

I think you can sort of see it the other way round where there are managers who are well regarded but seem to find a level or a niche they become known for. For example people such as Warnock who always seem to find a way to get a club promoted but can never really seem to take a club beyond that level. 

But is the opposite true ? Could someone like Guardiola take a club at any level and get them moving in the right direction ? 

Example A - Warnock.  Can get teams promoted for fun, crap at keeping teams up...

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

I’m not touching Reddit soccer again with a bargpole to see their views. They seem to worship Lampard’s feet and many are pooping on Cocu as a manager, laughing at anyone who thinks that Cocu is an upgrade on Lampard. Time will tell but this is one of the reason’s I’m glad that Lampard has gone, I was sick to death of the bumming and overrating of him when he was here . Yes he did a decent job and we have some fantastic memories like Leeds away, but the statistics will show his side scored less than Rowett’s side in the league.

Redditers are the absolute worst.  

Facebook

Insta

Twitter

?????? ?????????????????????

???????????????????????????

Reddit

I think this appointment is for the long term. I think Cocu will very quickly bring the academy and first team closer, even more so than Lampard just from hearing about his past.

Mel has been very astute in this appointment and listening to him on RD Derby last night showed his thought process and planning that has gone into this way before we first heard Cocu's name. 

Cocu must feel that he's coming to a club that he can work closely with the chairman and academy to bring out the best in him and the team, otherwise, a man with his calibre wouldn't even step foot into Derby. 

Like others have said, this is probably a bigger appointment than having Lampard at the wheel and I think we are in for a great journey. I for one can't wait to start seeing some bright orange around the ground to brighten the place up. The first thing my lad said to me was 'Dad, can I have a Holland shirt for my birthday'. I said 'don't be daft, your birthday isn't until December, I'm getting you one now'. 

20 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Example A - Warnock.  Can get teams promoted for fun, crap at keeping teams up...

Actually I think using Warnock as an example is a little unjustified.

You need to factor in the budgets in his cases.

I personally feel Guardiola would have struggled to keep Cardiff up last season, and feel Warnock did an excellent job

Lampard was our little summer fling. Pretty and a big name but was never going to be a long term option, just enjoy the moment situation. 

It's time to settle down into a long term relationship under Cocu. Might not be as big and famous as Frank but has the potential to be in the same thoughts as Jim Smith or Brian Clough. 

The academy is probably in the best shape its ever been and some smart Chelsea loans plus some European gems could finally see a competitive long term team put together. Mel will know this, and Cocu probably sees this as the best chance he'll get to build his reputation in the English leagues. 

Same expectations as for Lampard last season for me. 8th place or above and play some decent football.

Got quite a rebuild on his hands and will be interested to see what his approach is.

As a big critic of Mel previously for his handling of certain issues, full marks to him on this one. Has been dignified, professional and acted quickly to appoint a manager away from the normal template. Handled the Chelsea boys well. Let's see where we are at the end of next season.

Forza Phillip Cocu's Oranje army.

On 02/07/2019 at 15:57, Gaspode said:

Don't forget that Brighton keep being linked with Bogle - don't realy want him to go, but if it provides the funds we need.....

Mel "He's not reached his peak sale value yet."

Says to me that Bogle is going nowhere until we're in the Prem and someone offers £50m.  Love the way Mel talks at the moment!

9 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Lampard was our little summer fling. Pretty and a big name but was never going to be a long term option, just enjoy the moment situation. 

It's time to settle down into a long term relationship under Cocu. Might not be as big and famous as Frank but has the potential to be in the same thoughts as Jim Smith or Brian Clough. 

The academy is probably in the best shape its ever been and some smart Chelsea loans plus some European gems could finally see a competitive long term team put together. Mel will know this, and Cocu probably sees this as the best chance he'll get to build his reputation in the English leagues. 

So, if you think we are going for a long term relationship, do you think we'll have to wait 9 months for new signings? 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

I’m not touching Reddit soccer again with a bargpole to see their views. They seem to worship Lampard’s feet and many are pooping on Cocu as a manager, laughing at anyone who thinks that Cocu is an upgrade on Lampard. Time will tell but this is one of the reason’s I’m glad that Lampard has gone, I was sick to death of the bumming and overrating of him when he was here . Yes he did a decent job and we have some fantastic memories like Leeds away, but the statistics will show his side scored less than Rowett’s side in the league.

I do think the Lampard hype train was OTT - thinking about his last game earlier, and he got a few things wrong in the play off final. Also didn't handle the likes of Marriott too well, so done well to get such a big move and we have somebody who shouldn't make as many schoolboy errors.

1 hour ago, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

If Cocu had been given the managers job at any top club you wouldn't have been surprised. Has to be up there (on paper) as one of the best appointments in a non-premier league division.

Last season the big name was Bielsa, but I thinking winning 3 eredivisies eclipses his achievements. There can’t be a more highly decorated manager outside the premiership, and he won’t want to be outside the prem for long. 

(Hmm, just worried myself a bit there that we might be here again next year, if we do a Leeds - but Bielsa stayed with Leeds, which I really didn’t expect, so hopefully Cocu is in this for at least a couple of years if necessary). 

Archived