Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, David said:

Managers leave under contract all the time, but we’re talking 1 and 2 months they signed these deals. 

Would you want a manager that walks out on a new contract after that length of time? Would you want to spend most of, if not all the money we receive for Frank if he does leave and spend it on a manager willing to do that?

We have fans calling for loyalty from Frank after a season and gave Rowett abuse an inflatable snake to take home after signing a contract in January and leaving in May.

Chelsea one of the biggest clubs in the country and Stoke who were recently relegated but had fresh parachute money to spend. 

Bristol City and Preston to Derby wouldn’t be remotely the same move. Just can’t see it and I’m not amazed that others haven’t suggested them with possibly the same thoughts.

I think my issue with Rowett was less the new contract but the manner he went about it - a lot of chat about how much Derby meant to him etc.

I think poaching another Championship manager is entirely possible. But I get the impression Johnson likes life at Bristol and believes he will get them promoted some day soon. Likewise I think Neil seems to be very comfortable at Preston, slowly improving a little every year. We would have to take a big risk on their contracts to get either... I don't see it myself.

2 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

I think my issue with Rowett was less the new contract but the manner he went about it - a lot of chat about how much Derby meant to him etc.

I think poaching another Championship manager is entirely possible. But I get the impression Johnson likes life at Bristol and believes he will get them promoted some day soon. Likewise I think Neil seems to be very comfortable at Preston, slowly improving a little every year. We would have to take a big risk on their contracts to get either... I don't see it myself.

Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol that negotiations over his new deal took "about seven minutes", adding that "our strength is in our stability".

"It was very, very simple for me right from the start because I've been quite vocal about wanting to stay," he said.

"I've made no secret of my ambitions - both personal and professional - but that ideally will be with Bristol City. This contract really cements that and shows everybody else it's not just words.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48382887

If Chelsea come calling he would be off, not Derby.

13 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Would be nice to have a bit of that...

It would. 

Maybe I’ve got out of bed on the wrong side but this just feels like the transfer suggestion thread, shouting random names out that appear in the press with very view well thought out cases put forward with the suggestion.

I mean half the thread can’t even decide what style of football Hughton or the Cowley’s play, the same people are probably those that have complained over the lack of consistency over appointments the club have made in recent years.

Once again we’re 15 pages into the circus I was hoping we would avoid this summer and clinging on to the hope no approach has been or will be made for Lampard. Call me deluded, but I realise what a difficult task the club face in replacing Frank if he was to leave.

Whilst I’m sure all these managers mentioned already are good managers, the question is are they right for us now, if so why? Are they capable of continuing the work Frank started, or will they take a u turn and ignore the academy and create a disconnect between fans?

I believe there will be a few disappointed lads in that dressing room if Frank was to leave, especially in the academy. It’s important we have a manager in charge that has similar ideas on the pitch and can command respect in the dressing room.

32 minutes ago, David said:

Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol that negotiations over his new deal took "about seven minutes", adding that "our strength is in our stability".

"It was very, very simple for me right from the start because I've been quite vocal about wanting to stay," he said.

"I've made no secret of my ambitions - both personal and professional - but that ideally will be with Bristol City. This contract really cements that and shows everybody else it's not just words.

Fair enough, take your point that one might be very difficult to prize away. Not so sure about Alex Neill though. I just think our net will go wider than the 5 out of work people that have been mentioned. Don’t forget we appointed Frank Lampard last time!

Just now, Gerry Daly said:

Fair enough, take your point that one might be very difficult to prize away. Not so sure about Alex Neill though. I just think our net will go wider than the 5 out of work people that have been mentioned. Don’t forget we appointed Frank Lampard last time!

Alex Neil signed his contract whilst the media were pushing WBA interest in him. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/preston-boss-alex-neil-reveals-16128179

38 minutes ago, David said:

If Johnson doesn't get Bristol into the playoffs next season he will be under serious pressure. Things go stale very quickly in football and the Bristol fans will be expecting year on year improvement. 

I wouldn't want him at Derby. Jokanovic or Hughton for me. Both managers took struggling teams and within two years got them promoted without spending serious money. Managers like that are worth pursuing. 

Whoever is going to be our manager this needs to be settled as soon as possible. If Frank is going his mind is not going to be focussed on us. Meanwhile this lack of certainty is probably having an impact on new signings. 3 Supposedly Derby targets have already signed for other clubs and has been previously said we will be left with a choice of unemployed managers nobody else wants. This time last year we had Frank and were planning ahead. This year? The longer this goes on the more disillusioned I become!

1 hour ago, David said:

Whilst I’m sure all these managers mentioned already are good managers, the question is are they right for us now, if so why?

Who do you reckon then?

i'm struggling to name anyone really. 

I think simmo is a reasonable fit, but doesn't have the same star quality. 

Jokanovich did a great job at fulham but is as dour as a wet weekend in kirkcudbright....and i don't think he'd come.

hughton has a good record and was playing good football with brighton, but looks in need of a bit of a break.

Rowett could talk his way into the job but would be totally wrong.

wassall might get the job as the easy solution based on the academy products coming through but looked out of his depth to me last time.

monk ballsed up at boro.

darren moore........why?

ashley cole? with wenger as director of footy? Pipe-dream??.

We need another really imaginative appointment to continue the progress made. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, RamNut said:

We need another really imaginative appointment to continue the progress made. 

Neil Warnock it is then.

Who ever the new manager is it will need to be done and done quickly,already i am seeing stories about potential transfer targets looking elsewhere due to our own uncertainty.

The 4M compo is worth bobbings if it is fretted away on last ditch buys.I always thought Derby was just a stepping stone for FL and good luck to him although did not expect this to be so soon,Chris Hughton for me always liked the way Brighton played in the Championship when he was in charge and what bit of loyalty FL as left perhaps he should be helping us out with a few loan deals 

My first choice would be to keep Frank but, given the thread is about who would replace him if he left, I'll give it a go.

I'd love for Jody Morris to try the big seat himself but I doubt that is likely.

With those two out, I'm going for Mark Robbins.

Attacking football (when I've watched them- which isn't much).  Seems to trust in youth.  He talks of the need to establish an attacking identity for the team as being important to him. Able to use the loan market well. He would surely see it as a more stable environment with a greater budget than Cov but would be unlikely to be poached by a bigger fish than us in the next few years.

Granted, Bowyer got promoted from this division - Robbins didn't,  but I'd be nervous choosing a manager with so little experience.

(I get the dual standards - as I'm happy with Frank/Jodys lack of experience).

I'd see him as a safe pair of hands who would deliver exciting football.

But I'd still prefer Frank.

While it has absolutely zero reflection on real life, on my latest Football Manager save, when Lampard was poached (this time by Cardiff) he was replaced by Mark Hughes. He achieved absolutely bugger all and was eventually sacked and replaced by Igor. Igor has now achieved the result we all knew was possible and took us to the promised land of League One.

So neither of those, ta.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Who do you reckon then?

i'm struggling to name anyone really. 

I haven’t put a great deal of thought into it yet, I’m still hopeful nothing comes of it and Lampard remains in charge. 

Just reading this thread and I’m not seeing any compelling arguments for most of the names mentioned.

Style of football and CV Jokanovic is the most obvious, but Brighton, Forest, Boro and West Brom were all reported to be interested and “wants too much money” was the reoccurring theme. 

I would also be interested if there was any bitterness towards the club over the Martin loan/contract situation? 

Doesn’t come across as a man that would build a rapport with the fans, although results/football ultimately dictate this and if you’re winning and playing decent football I’m sure many won’t mind if we don’t have him bouncing in front of the South Stand.

Either Hughton or Moore would be interviewed I would imagine as candidates to satisfy the new BAME Rooney Rule. A rule which as an owner I would be insulted exists, but that’s a whole different topic. 

Hughton is what I would probably call a “safe” choice, I’m not sure the style of football will have us on the edge of our seats, but nor would we be throwing our seats on the pitch. Comes across as a quiet professional man, again not sure there would be that rapport with the fans again but I should probably resign myself to the fact it’s going to be difficult following Lampard.

Moore, I don’t really have much to go on, strikes me as an Assistant Manager that will come in an raise morale and take over for the remainder of the season when the manager gets the boot. You could see the players loved him, is he Manager or the guy you want around as the players friend in the coaching team? 

Karanka I’m gobsmacked as even been mentioned considering the year under Rowett.

Cowley Brothers I’ve heard of but know absolutely nothing about, don’t think I’m alone.

Last summer I was on the first Lampard hype train out the station, reason being was he is clearly an intelligent man, would hold a lot of respect in the dressing room for what he has achieved in the game and the contacts through Chelsea, Mourinho was at Man Utd at the time would allow us to pick up the best young talent on loan. 

To be fair I wasn’t wrong, although I will admit to not guessing he would connect with the fans as quickly as he did and I had no idea what his style of football would be, but at the time many were not exactly over happy with Rowett so it didn’t really matter.

I would be tempted to try and find someone along the same lines, now I am throwing names out there but Michael Carrick for example, respected coach at United, assistant to Mourinho, wants to be a number 1.

Complete unknown as Lampard was, bit of a punt, connections at United who may also see him as a future manager so would be willing to help him out. Having connections with both Chelsea and United wouldn’t be a bad thing. 

Could we make a name for ourselves giving young coaches and players chances? Some will complain about being a stepping stone, but unless you’re a top 6 club in the Premier League we are all stepping stones. Not a single manager in the Football League that would turn down Chelsea if they offered them the job and that’s the truth.

You’re not going to find any manager that say’s, I’m happy with Derby in the Championship thanks Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal....

Say we go for a Carrick or Arteta who have strong connections with other clubs, IF media reports are true we are not daft when it comes to compensation clauses.

I don’t know, like I say I’m clinging on to Lampard until he’s signed a Chelsea contract. 

Archived