Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m going to be as sad as anyone to see Frank go. I’m more gutted losing him than the playoff final and don’t think I’ve ever felt so upset about a Derby manager leaving. Don’t underestimate the job he’s done, if we’d kept the same squad and manager from last season we wouldn’t have been in the playoffs and football wasn’t great.

That said are there better managers than Frank who are realistic targets out there and we’ve had managers who have been better than Frank (McClaren being one). The reason I’m gutted about him leaving is more due to the way he’s embraced the club, the area and forged a close bond with the fans in such a short space of time than the merits of the job he has done. Results wise and for the future of the club will Lampard leaving affect us? As long as we make the right appointment and build on the work frank and Jody have done then no. But I don’t think the fans will have such a close connection with a manager again.

7 minutes ago, DCFC4LIFE said:

Foreign manager? Labbadia, Tedesco, Van Brockhorst

I'd love Gio but Labbadia is the only realistic one of those three options I feel.

Jokanovic would have been my first choice, Oscar Garcia would be my second. His football at Brighton was some of the most exciting I've seen in this league and it was only because of an unreal Rams performance they didn't go up in my opinion. 

I also wouldn't be totally opposed to Poyet, Bowyer or even Moore.

I know quite a few Brighton fans who couldn't be happier when Hughton was pushed. His brand of football made Rowett's look like total football by the end. Same goes for the Cowley brothers

Wassall Moore Pulis Karanka would be a massive step backwards ...please go for someone who’s going to continue in the same direction playing decent attacking football 

Arteta would be my choice as Jokanovic is now not in frame but it’s starting to feel a bit flat as no one really jumps out ...Gerrard probably would’nt swap Rangers for us either 

Moore - Nice guy but had arguably the most talented team in the championship last season and didn't get them within a sniff of the top 2

Pulis - Football dinosaur,  awful football 

Karanka - ex-forest,  very defensive style and somthing about him makes me generally dislike him

Cowley - shocking football 

Wassall - No comment

Doesn't leave that many obvious choices, Jokanovitch I'd of gone for, Hughton I coukd live with, I know his Brighton team recently have been defensive but I can remember Peasons first game for us was against Brighton, 0-0 draw but on that day they were far better than us and not overly defensive,  pretty much 4-2-4 with very attacking wingers  

Wenger

Obviously no chance.

Hope we don't go with hype of the Cowley's (done brilliant job but their football is pulis era stoke at its worst)

Bowyer would be interesting (shame the Leeds connection as if he didn't he would be an obvious choice)

Hughton is a really obvious and pretty safe appointment. Like him very much as a person and a professional, football style is very much designed for the players and situation he finds him and the club in.

Unknown foreign link? Don't think in a million years young up and coming will be attracted here.

Maybe arteta? Maybe keep morris and offer him his break into being a number 1.

Ffs Jokanovic would’ve been a great appointment too.

The rest of the names are mighty depressing. I’d have  Hughton, but the style he plays  seems too big a ask to go back to playing direct.

Wonder if Gerrard would be tempted...

It was fitting somehow that Bergkamp returned to this spiritual spot to talk about his philosophy. The pursuit of control in football inspires him as much today as a coach with Ajax as it did when he was on the pitch as a player trying to change games with a flawless moment. Control is so much his obsession that he is completely frank when he says he prefers the first touch that started any of his most memorable goals than the strike that finished them. Others might say that, but it is doubtful they really mean it. Bergkamp does. The glory, for him, is all about control and touch.

Qed

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

I do wonder if some of the posters suggesting Hughton have watched his teams play, they played brands of Rowettball. 

Not a Hughton fan but wouldn't call it Rowetball at all tbh.

Rowetball is sit back and hope you can catch them on the break, long balls into the channels to chase, going into nearly every match and playing like the underdogs. Its a very passive, negative style.

Hughtonball is all about imposing yourself on the opposition, built on the back of a high workrate to gaining the upper hand physically and THEN starting to play a bit. Its about having a different plan for all types of opposition which is why it's so effective in the Championship.

If you're playing against a team who aren't as strong as you it's easy, you just bully them from the off and play some decent if not all that inspiring football. Maybe even enough to convince your own fans you're a great team to watch. 

You're well prepared for matches like Milwall away and can battle your way to victory even when they're on their game, and if they're not then it's another easy victory.

When you come up against a technically superior teams you've got it in your locker to nullify them, spoil the match, shithouse them, if you will..

The perfect Championship team.

Then you get promoted and find that nearly every team is technically superior,  faster, stronger, and works harder than you do, and it's survival football from then on. It may work for a time, but you'll never progress beyond a certain point.

25 minutes ago, JfR said:

Because I admire your unwavering commitment to getting Bergkamp this job, and to make up for the Pulis abomination I made earlier, I present this:
Image.thumb.png.c2abe52f1781434abc99de98fb05ef4e.png

Come on....it can't just be me on the bergkamp bandwagon.

Archived