• At match live
    • At home listening
    • At home watching
    • Checking score regularly
    • Reading this forum to check score
    • Other
    • N/A

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/19 at 14:00

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the dust has settled, the whole Dean Smith thing with his dad and his dementia illness makes me sad but smile (in a nice way) that he’s got Villa to the premier league. It a shame his Dad can’t celebrate with his son. Congrats Dean, Dean’s Dad and the Villa ?

6/10 but...

we had a couple of 4 or 5 out of 10s when we needed a couple of 8/10s

I watched it again last night (I know, glutton for punishment).  For some reason the same match never looks the same when you watch it back on TV as opposed to when you were there watching it live - came away with the same overall feeling though, we spent too long waiting to react rather than forcing the pace, massive missed opportunity.

Ah well, there's always next season.

COYR

there's some serious bonehead ratings on there. 3 and 4/10. Really?! 

We've lost narrowly (admittedly we could have taken it to them a little bit more) to a team who spanked us 7-0 over the course of the proper season and who won 10 matches in a row. 30 points out of 30 in a division as tough as the championship. 

We were outsiders with every bookie. We just fell short. 3/4 out of 10? Grow up. 

The problem is we just can't defend, as an attacking force we can be outstanding, that's where we put pressure on other teams with slick passing to the wings. In the 1st half we just sat back and let Villa come at us and with the setup we have cannot handle that style of play for this team

57 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Gave us 6 out of 10... if we had played the whole match like we did the last 15 minutes it would have been an 8 or 9 out of 10... oh and we would have probably been premier league now.

But you can't play like that if the opponent isn't sitting back defending a lead. 

Watch any match between two evenly match teams and more often than not the losing team gains more possession than they had before going behind. 

It's natural to take a lead and ask players to not go charging off ahead of the ball. 

Whilst it's natural for a losing team to take more risks and leave themselves open to counters.

It's the pattern of more than half the matches I watch. 

Can't believe people think that Derby becoming better in attack had nothing to do with Villa being more reserved and looking to counter. 

Have we completely forgot the two counter attacks that were both more promising moves than either of their goals and both were stopped by brilliant defending.

You think Derby should have began the game as open as that? With El Ghazi and Grealish and Adomah and Abraham all fresh? 

I voted 3/10 as in my opinion this was a massive missed opportunity. I don’t think one player will look back at this match in the future and think you know what, that was everything I had. 

That includes the management. I’m not having a massive pop at the team or anyone involved. In weeks/months/years we won’t look back at this match with any other thought but what if. 

Again it’s my opinion it might not be popular but the reality is we were in a cup final at the home of football and got it all wrong. 

I look forward to the team growing from this experience but I was hugely disappointed 

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Can't believe people think that Derby becoming better in attack had nothing to do with Villa being more reserved and looking to counter. 

Have we completely forgot the two counter attacks that were both more promising moves than either of their goals and both were stopped by brilliant defending.

You think Derby should have began the game as open as that? With El Ghazi and Grealish and Adomah and Abraham all fresh? 

Yes i do,put their defence under pressure for the first 10 -15 minutes and put doubts in their minds. we allowed their defence to become far too settled rather than rattled,what about our players being fresh.Far too much square passing allowing villa to pick us off.  

52 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

there's some serious bonehead ratings on there. 3 and 4/10. Really?! 

We've lost narrowly (admittedly we could have taken it to them a little bit more) to a team who spanked us 7-0 over the course of the proper season and who won 10 matches in a row. 30 points out of 30 in a division as tough as the championship. 

We were outsiders with every bookie. We just fell short. 3/4 out of 10? Grow up. 

Yes quite right we should have made the poll start at minimum 5/10 just so everyone's opinions were the same as yours.I voted 5 but don't feel the need to tell other people that they're boneheads and need to grow up just because they have a different opinion.

7 out of ten ,, played similar to how we have all season the thing is that the passing was just off it and didn’t click as in lots of games we have been poor in , when it clicks we look unplayable, inconsistent as we are a young team and a bit of a hotch potch or longer standing players the manager didn’t bring in but has tried to slot into different positions and his way of playing that’s what your gonna get

I didn't look before rating - gave 6/10. Thought we were a bit better than median overall, which was made up of about average for 65 mins and really quite good for the last 25-30.

I agree with Archied that I saw quite a lot of attempts at quick one touch passing that worked for 2 or 3 touches before the next touch that tended to go a bit wrong. Its high risk football.

Though Bogle repeatedly got into great positions and often the passer didn't spot him. That said, one sumptuous pass inside the full back in the first half found him in space but with nobody to pass to in the box.

Not a disgrace by any means, but didn't quite reach the heights that my optimistic self had hoped for.?

2 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

Yes i do,put their defence under pressure for the first 10 -15 minutes and put doubts in their minds. we allowed their defence to become far too settled rather than rattled,what about our players being fresh.Far too much square passing allowing villa to pick us off.  

What stops them rattling our defence with Grealish finding space behind our midfield? 

Huddlestone and Johnson shut out the center and pushed Villa wide. Grealish dropped deep to pick the ball up and El Ghazi was constantly looking for Grealish to slip passes between Keogh and Bogle. He was punishing Bogle for mistakes anyway. 

I'm not saying being more aggressive wouldn't have worked but you're assuming Villa would have sat deeper from the start. 

They were defending a lead. If not 1-0 and we're pushing harder then what stops Grealish being able to play in front of Keogh and Tomori. What stops the gaps around Bogle becoming bigger and easier to target? Yeah we might create more chances but we'd be a lot more open. 

Me personally I would have liked to see that gamble. But again its another suggestion that Derby waited an hour to have a go. 

The natural pattern of football is the winning team takes less risk. They give themselves less attacking options and become cautious. The losing team gets more control. No way on earth Do Villa intentionally drop behind the ball and play on the counter from the start. 

Like I said, I agree that we should have been braver and I wanted Marriott or Waghorn to start. But Villa would not have started how they finished. They finished like a team defending a lead and still had two great opportunities to counter 

it was our defence that got terrorised in the league games!

Archived